Sunday 12 May 2024

Weekend thoughts

There is a certain irony in the fact that the first real weekend of summer weather has seen Derbyshire without a fixture. Five rounds of nigh-winter weather and then glorious weather all weekend, while our players had to content themselves with league cricket yesterday.

The star turn was Tom Wood, playing relegated Ticknall. Skippering the side, he made an unbeaten 152 as they won easily. There will still be those who could have seen a T20 contract for Tom and I am one of them, but I suspect that boat has sailed.

Samit Patel turned out for Cutthorpe against Dunstall and made 36 opening the innings, before taking 3-14 in 12 overs, a level of parsimony we would gladly take in the fast-approaching Blast. Meanwhile Barbadian fast bowler Chemar Holder continues to cut a swathe through batting line ups for Ockbrook and Borrowash, taking 6-32 in an attack that also features Sam Conners and Dustin Melton. Josh Lacey's spin must seem like a pleasant relief after that!  Holder looks quick and very useful...

I have dipped in and out of the county matches, but I have to say I find some of the 4-day cricket on offer increasingly dull. Glamorgan have done well, trouncing Sussex who beat us last time out, of course. It is no surprise to me, they have a very good coach and they will be there or thereabouts at season end. 

But again, there are matches where at the end of day three they have still to complete two innings. For me, there are too many games where one result has been eliminated after the first day and a half. With the number of points for a draw too high, teams are banking on scoring 500 then bowling out their opponents twice. 

When that doesn't happen, the remaining days of the game become little more than a glorified net.

Anyway, we will see what happens when Derbyshire return to action this week.

2 comments:

  1. A nice and tidy 1 for 44 for Amir against that crack opposition Ireland this afternoon.Im being sarcastic of course because I personally wouldn't let him play for the 2nd eleven. I've had it with contract breakers.Its not like me to be so unforgiving but I don't want him in the team. If Blair hadn't found himself in his current sad predicament then give me him and his genuine efforts for Derbyshire.
    Steve jr

    ReplyDelete
  2. On my theme of what amounts to limited overs first class cricket I now have further expansions.Dont all laugh at once because I'm doing my best. First of all we sack the suits and smoke filled rooms at HQ.We form the Peak Blog clever clogs committee. Being as your well respected Steve otherwise you wouldn't have 4 zillion comments you will be Chairman and being how it's my bloody idea I'll be vice Chairman. We then appoint a further 3 peak bloggers to make sure their are no tied votes on individual rules. Let's get started then. These arnt hard and fast perfect suggestions their just rough ideas to kick things off, Max overs 1st inns 80, Max overs 2nd inns 65. 100 ovs must be bowled a day. If missed a 30 minute lunch and 15 minute tea break will be taken. If this fails miserable a 6 run penalty will be awarded per over. Weather interruptions will be overs adjusted. Any side playing fast and loose with the rules or over rates will be officially warned by the umpire to enter into the spirit of the game. I openly admit that teams will eventually use t20 and 50 over skills in a so called first class game. But isn't this what a lot of people want. ? Not me or many others on here want it but the 100 brigade and the youngsters appear to be only interested in something like this.How about 7 pts if you set your opponents no more,than 330 off 65 ovs on the last day. Gettable but also not easy either. Again the committee can adjust this. If you go negative for the draw then it's only 2 pts Their might be a scenario where a team needs just a few pts from the last three games for the CC, so goes negative. Well fair enough nothing is perfect.Come on Steve at some point over the next week or so see what you can come up with as regards a 3 day format and pts system. I'm calling you out Steve be brave and go for it. As your second in command I'm right behind you.Only thing is you take all the flak if its rubbish. Don't go all quite on me Steve.
    Steve jr.

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!