Sunday 26 May 2024

The problem with four-day cricket

I decided to write this post midway through a game because my feelings at this point are quite pertinent. 

Quite frankly, I am struggling to stay in love with county cricket.

I say this as someone whose love affair with the game goes back well over fifty years, but so far this season I have found myself switching off a time or two, deciding that gardening, cleaning my car or going on a lengthy dog walk was preferable to watching another long runfest on a moribund pitch.

I had an email from The Cricketer on Friday, asking if I planned to renew my subscription. I replied today to say that I wouldn't, because the direction of the game is increasingly unpalatable for me. 

As regular readers of the blog will know, I live 283 miles from the County Ground and, since the passing of my parents, I am unsure when I will next visit it. The length of the journey is one thing, the cost of hotels for the duration another. Factor in meals, fuel and a desire to be near my family and you can see the problem. I know there are people who would do that, who follow their side around the country and I applaud their commitment, but everyone's circumstances are different and I would never criticise anyone for personal choice.

The game itself is another matter. 

It is really only worthwhile travelling for a four-day game, but such is the arrangement of fixtures that I can only do so at the extremes of the season, when the weather is least likely to be favourable. There is little on this earth more depressing than a cricket ground in the rain, except leaving that ground to go back to a soulless hotel room when there is no chance of play. You will appreciate, I hope, that a 600-mile round trip to sit in a hotel room watching the rain fall is not high on my list of things to do in my retirement...

Regardless of Derbyshire's fortunes in it (and this summer has been a challenge) four-day cricket is often very dull. The powers that be want it to replicate Test cricket and for the pitches to be similar to those on which that elite level is played. 

Which is fine, but there has to be an understanding that a lot of those playing on the pitches, while obviously good players, are not of true 'elite' standard. They will have their days in the sun, they will score runs, they will take wickets. But so good are those pitches that the game has been rendered almost formulaic.

Unless the players turn up on the first day to find a track greener than Robin Hood's tunic, the aim on winning the toss will be to bat... for a day and a half. Let's rack up 600 and put them under pressure, is the tactic, but it often doesn't work, because team B goes in and also bats for a day and a half, scoring 550. Which takes you to the fourth day, even if the rain stays out of it and somehow they have to contrive a result. 

Except, with eight points for a draw, neither side is especially inclined to risk losing those points and the game. Thus, the final day is rendered academic and at the end of it all the most likely result at the start is the one that happens. 

I know there can be positive results, teams can collapse, victories CAN be achieved. But generally speaking, it doesn't happen often enough. Just look at the current round of matches. Granted there has been rain interference, but to still be in the second innings of games as we come towards the end of the third day isn't a lot of fun. If you look at the crowds on the various streams, I would suggest a lot of people are coming to the same conclusion.

At a time when the number of fixtures and congestion are constantly under discussion, the time to return to three-day cricket is rapidly approaching. As I have written before, limit first innings to 100 overs each, make this the new daily maximum and allow the side batting second to bat to a maximum of 200 per combined first innings, if they wish. 

Then drop the draw points to zero, meaning that teams have to take a risk on the last day to secure more than batting and bowling bonus points. You might lose, but you might win and if you played games Friday to Sunday, there is a fair chance that the Sunday crowd could be quite impressive, in the knowledge that there will be a game worth watching. 

Test cricket is now played faster, more aggressively. Bazball if you will, though I'm not a fan of such monikers. Use the word 'maximum' or 'seed' in my presence and I will likely walk away..

The Vitality Blast is coming and it may just save Derbyshire's season (though I am not hopeful, at this stage.) The fifty-over competition may do similarly and when batters need to really go for it we may see more even-handed cricket.

Regardless of whether the game returns to one division or stays as two, three-day cricket is badly needed to make the longer form of the game worth  watching again. 

In a fourteen-game season, players would have fourteen less days of playing.

But when they go out there, the cricket would be more entertaining and meaningful than much that I have watched this summer.

While we're at it, let's return to uncovered wickets, or only allow a light roller between innings, or none at all when the match has started. 

A better balance between bat and ball would restore my interest. Between bigger bats, flatter pitches, shorter boundaries and incentives for mediocrity, you might as well plonk a bowling machine at one end to save time and effort..

11 comments:

  1. Your a man truly suffering Steve but a version of 3 day cricket has to return. Problem is I have little faith in the powers that be to do the right thing. I've made my mind up I'm heading home, that hotel room you mentioned isn't very appealing.Lost a nights money but like you Steve I've had enough. Start the bike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On point as usual Steve. The cynic in me says the ECB are trying to bore county members into submission. I long for the county game of the 1980s with overseas stars, out grounds, variable pitchs and enterprising captaincy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i agree with everything you say including reverting to one division , i would also increase matches to 17 so every team plays each other , hopefully this will improve standards, this would still give a few extra spare days during the season. MALBAR

    ReplyDelete
  4. As far as I can see it depends what comes first for the ECB. The answer of course is, money.
    In 2005, after THAT Ashes series, they sold cricket to Sky, just at the same moment cricket was ripe to attract new interest. People were talking about the game for the first time in my lifetime, and they sold it to hide behind a paywall.
    Nearly 20 years on and the kids from that generation have zero interest, apart from the 20/20, and the thing known as the hundred. Over here on this football dominated peninsula, even that figure is at best 1 in 20.

    So no, I think the old duffers like us who love the longer format, are of no interest, nor in reality is the format. Look at the scheduling as an example.
    You mention the crowds at County matches Steve, they are still far above Shield matches in Australia, or the games in the Ranji in India, the other two nations with an (alleged) interest in the longer format. But even at Derbyshire, one full house at Chesterfield in the Vitality is greater than a season's CC attendances at Derby.
    It will be interesting to see the crowds at Tests this summer, with no marquee visitors, and of course the Euros and Olympics too. I think it will mark the beginning of the end to be honest, you can't just keep playing India and Australia all the time.
    The money will then dry up to the smaller counties like ours, and they'll finally be able to finish us off. There will always be some 'proper' cricket played, but it will be club and minor county status.

    Sorry if this all appears a bit negative, but it's happening. How dare they give August up for that aberration? Oh yes, money!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think what we have at the moment is a compromise version of the game that nobody wants.

    All the arguments and disagreements about the future of the game are slowly diminishing fans enjoyment of the game.

    I just wish someone would make a decision on the direction of the game as we can just get on with it.

    Completely agree with ideas said in main post.and would also add that the use of the heavy roller needs to be scrapped mid game. Pitches need to get harder to bat on as the game progresses rather than flatter and better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chesterfield Blue26 May 2024 at 22:08

    I'm in total agreement with you Steve, the four day game is dying. How many spectators are rocking up at the county ground these days for four day Cricket, a few hundred maybe or is that a tad generous, I don't know?. I only live 45 minutes from the ground and I'm not enticed to go to a four day game, like you say Steve it's such dull stuff.
    I know the cricketing purists don't like the T20, but it's taken over and changed the cricketing landscape for the better in my eyes. I will be there for the Notts game on the 7th June weather permitting, and I st least know that there will be entertainment at some points during the match

    ReplyDelete
  7. PJS

    You make a very persuasive case.

    May I suggest an extra points innovation to encourage 'attacking' declarations. Offer 1 [or more] 'bonus' point to a team that declares and goes on to win.

    The opportunity for this bonus would only apply to a side that declares having lost 7 [or fewer] wickets [ before the 'tail' bats essentially] and only be available to the team batting first, during their second innings, and the team batting second, during their first innings.

    I hope that makes sense...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes definitely! Good idea and a worthwhile incentive. Would be useful for Gloucestershire in this current match...

      Delete
  8. Chesterfield Blue27 May 2024 at 12:35

    So we're now at lunch on day 4 of this game and two innings haven't even been completed as Gloucs have decided to bat on. May as well call it a draw right now, really pathetic and downright dull

    ReplyDelete
  9. Much to look at certainly. The immediate change I would suggest is allowing a new ball to be taken at any point after, say, 50 overs, and a second one after 110 overs. This might help redress the balance of bat v ball. I agree that the 3 day option is well woth a look. The problem with it previously was that too many games had 300 v 300 in the first innings leaving a day to set up a contrived finish. Buffet bowling is one of the worst looks in the game. Also, the suits will argue that it doesn't replicate test cricket, but I don't buy that. The Hundred doesn't replicate ODIs but no difficulty in introducing that at the expense of a meaningful 50-over comp was there!

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!