Saturday 18 May 2024

Derbyshire v Northamptonshire day 1



I didn't see a great deal of today's play, but it would appear that Northamptonshire got the better of it by the time it ended. 

I have spoken to a couple of people whose opinion I respect and the feeling was that our bowlers, while beating the bat on a regular basis, didn't bowl the correct length -  or line - to take wickets. If, as Anuj Dal said, we beat the bat 80 -odd times, the only conclusion can really be that we should have adjusted the line to be taking an edge more frequently. The old Brian Statham adage 'they miss, I hit' was perhaps never more apposite.

I also feel the selection was odd. No issue in playing Ross Whiteley, but to play either him or Anuj Dal at eight seems overly defensive. To not play either spinner, in a side awash with seam, appears an oversight...I always feel our left arm variant, whether Luis Reece or today Ross Whiteley, gets overlooked amid the many options.

Anyway, that's enough from me. I will watch a lot more tomorrow and we will see how it goes.

We wouldn't want Northamptonshire to get much ahead of 350, that's for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!