Sunday 25 October 2009

Sunday, Sunday

So good to me...

With apologies to the Mamas and the Papas (and I know it was Monday they sang about!) today was leisurely.

Mrs Peakfan and daughter went to a Craft Fair in Glasgow while my son and I stayed home and watched a couple of films and played a game or two. Nice chillin' time, with nothing much to write about on the blog on a quiet day.

Thanks to those who have replied to my previous blog. I always appreciate you taking the time to mail in, even if I don't always agree with comments. One of these was from "Anon" and suggested that we make a move for Somerset cast-off Omari Banks.

In his favour is the fact that he is an off spinner and batsman and, as an ex-West Indies international also has a British passport as he hails, like Chesney Hughes, from Anguilla, a British protectorate.

On the downside is that he's struggled to make an impression at Taunton in two seasons, taking only seven wickets and scoring just one half century. If he was 21 you might still think he could improve, but Banks will be 28 when next season comes around and for me would add nothing to the mix.

I'd have to say I struggle to think who could come in with the age restrictions. The only name that I can think of is Mark Footitt, who left Nottinghamshire this season but is still only 23. He would represent a challenge to Steffan Jones as bowling and conditioning coach if we were interested, as he has had a lot of injuries, but his 23 first class wickets have come at the very good strike rate of 40 balls per wicket, which will attract a few counties.

That sprang out at me as I'm currently reading "Fred Titmus - my life in cricket" by the ex England and Middlesex spinner and Stafford Hildred. My wife bought it for me from the local Pound Shop (can't beat a bargain, eh?) In it, Titmus says that as a bowler he looked for a wicket every ten overs as a target and was pleased when he beat that. Now, Graham Wagg averages 54 balls per wicket, Groenewald 61, Lungley 49, Jones 63 (Taunton does that to a man) and Hunter 65. I can't say that I know who Footitt's wickets have come against, but a wicket every seven overs is a good strike rate.

I've said before that this will be a conjecture-free zone, but on those statistics I'd be surprised if someone doesn't give the left armer another chance. John Morris will rightly decide who comes to Derby and may well have someone lined up, but Footitt should get another crack at the County game in 2010, especially in the light of the new age regulations.

4 comments:

  1. Peakfan,
    We have got enough 'steady' bowlers on the books already without Footitt. I hope John Morris is saving all the cash for a couple of quality players to make the difference. We have got enough 'squad' players already, Borrington, Sadler, Needham, Hughes, Poynton, Lungley and Hunter to name a few.
    DCCCFOREVER

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think if you re-read it, DCCF, I'm only suggesting that SOMEONE will sign him, not necessarily us. His stats suggest he's good enough for first class cricket. Our greatest need is for a decent spinner and I don't think there is much out there and affordable in the seam ranks that substantially improves on what we have. Footitt would give us another under 26, his main virtue, and a little variety as a left hander. I don't think we'll sign him, but I think someone will.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad someone else has finally mentioned Footitt, other than just me. His age is the most significant aspect. He probably has more potential than Lungley and Hunter too.

    MASTERVILLAIN

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peakfan, we need quality and I saw some in the recent world team 20/20like the Australian Henriques for one, who they reckon has a European passport.
    DCCCFOREVER

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!