Thursday 8 October 2009

News around the country

I don’t know about you, but I think there’s going to be some seriously fierce competition for players this winter.

Faced with greater issues in signing from overseas, counties are scouring out of contract lists and I’ve now seen five/six county cricket supremos stating that they’re looking for a top batsman, spinner and seam bowler.

Warwickshire are the latest with Ashley Giles, the “King of Spain”, bemoaning the fact that he’s had a knock back from Stephen Moore.

He’s one of several people after Yorkshire seamer Ajmal Shahzad, while Matthew Hoggard doesn’t lack for suitors by all accounts.

If the tightening up of visas is extended to the players counties can sign for that second overseas berth in the Twenty/20, I’d be amazed if there’ll be enough to go around. It crossed my mind that a county could look at someone like Adam Gilchrist, Matt Hayden or Glenn McGrath for that role, who may qualify under the “five Tests in five years” regulation.

Whether these guys want a county stint is a different matter. McGrath is now the carer to his two children after the tragic death of his wife, while Hayden has a burgeoning media (and cookery) career. What is sure is that with Chris Rogers in Australia we have a foot in the door with such players if that was the route we decided to take.

What is clear is that we have to be patient. We all want to hear news of new signings and for some, anything less than a name – a Hoggard, maybe a Shafayat – will be a disappointment. The likelihood is that we may sign a younger, less-known player with something to prove but who won’t have the fans getting too excited.

I don’t recall many getting worked up by the signings of Tim Groenewald or Garry Park last winter, but both had a splendid first season. I’m convinced that Lee Goddard will also do well, as Wayne Madsen did when he came into the side last season.

As I’ve said before, we have money available having released four batsmen (Stubbings, Birch, Telo and Hinds) while we’ll also have the money from Langeveldt/Hayward/Law as well as Mark Lawson. Logic suggests there’ll be a saving on the wicket-keeping position too, with the experienced, established and capped James Pipe on a higher salary than Lee Goddard.

How it is spent is down to John Morris. When there’s any news, you’ll read about it on here!

7 comments:

  1. Peakfan, with Harmison 'bombed' from the test squad I assume that he will play for Durham pushing Claydon further down their 'pecking order'. I think that John Morris could offer him first team cricket and if I were him I would get on the phone.
    There is a 'credit crunch' on at the minute and if Derbyshire are going to tempt a few people to fill their new stand they have to lure the fans in by a couple of exciting signings!
    DCCCFOREVER

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shahzad has been secured/retained by Yorkshire. Moore to Lancs - what next?

    I feel sorry for the Spanish twirler - alright, no, I don't!

    If Murtagh of Middlesex is really available, then Mr Morris needs to get his cheque book out sharpish. However, I wonder if there is just confusion with his namesake leaving London neighbours, Surrey?

    Yep, the market looks mighty competitive at the moment, but I have a feeling in my water that Mr Morris might just drop a double signing on us from somewhere. I have no evidence of this and it is probably just too much tea. Let's wait and see.......... but hurry up, my nails can't take it much longer!

    MASTERVILLAIN

    ReplyDelete
  3. As far as I am aware Tim Groenwald / John Sadler / Tom Lungley / Steffan Jones are still to commit to Derbyshire for next season. I know negotiations take time but Smith / Park / Goddard were snapped up pretty quickly so why the delay with this quartet? I accept that some of these players are more of a priority than others but the longer it goes on the more concerned I get?

    ReplyDelete
  4. As far as I know, Jones is still tied to Somerset pending a DCCC bid. I would want to hold on to Groenewald, but would glady let the other two go to bolster the kitty for one or two better options.

    MASTERVILLAIN

    ReplyDelete
  5. Peakfan, Groenewald had a couple of good spells with the ball and got a fifty but he didn't set the world a light. I would keep him provided his is not too greedy but I'm affraid I would not be held to ransome by Sadler and Lungley if this is the case.
    Steffan, well I might give him a years contract but that's all.
    DCCCFOREVER

    ReplyDelete
  6. IF i was john morris id have offered lungley and sadler a contract and said you have 2 weeks to make up your mind otherwise the contract gets with-drawn.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous, I agree with you 100%. We can't be messed about by the likes of Sadler and Lungley as we may miss out on other players, particularly in Sadler's case as there are plenty of other batsman, some listed on the 'poll', who are available. Lungley has been with us a long time so I suppose that a benefit of some sort may come into the equation.
    DCCCFOREVER

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!