Friday 16 October 2009

Pollard catapults to prominence

I might be wrong but I'd reckon that there will be more than a few county coaches watching Kieron Pollard's assault on the New South Wales bowling tonight and thinking he could do a job in the Twenty/20 next summer.

It is the latest in a growing collection of impressive knocks by the 22 year old. With three centuries in his 33 first class knocks. He announced himself in grand manner, making a century in 71 balls on debut and getting off the mark with a six, one of six in the innings. He scored another ton in his third appearance, again with six "maximums" as the Aussies love to call them. Like all attacking players, his form has been up and down since but he's still a young lad.

His assault tonight, especially on Moises Henriques, who I have previously praised (I'll get me coat!) was spectacular. Any side needing 80 from the last seven overs would be preparing for the inevitable, but Trinidad and Tobago won with nine balls to spare! Pollard scored an unbeaten 54 from 18 balls with 5 fours and 5 sixes.

Mind you, I could just imagine some of the conversations at the County Ground if Pollard had done that for us, no doubt centred around him being lazy and not running enough in some quarters...

No, I'm not advocating we sign him, as I'm happy to leave such a decision to one better qualified than I, but I'd be very surprised if Mr Pollard isn't the recipient of a contract from one of the counties. His medium pace is useful and he's a good fielder too, perfect for the short game.

Place your bets now as to where he goes...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!