Wednesday 1 June 2022

Lancashire v Derbyshire T20

Lancashire 219-6 (Livingstone 75, Vilas 34, Jennings 34, Scrimshaw 3-45)

Derbyshire 203-5 (du Plooy 59*, Reece 55, Guest 35)

Lancashire won by 16 runs

It is my considered opinion that whoever wins the Vitality Blast this year has got to get the better of Lancashire.

Their bowling resources are varied, but their batting is extraordinary. The hitters keep coming and when one considers Jos Buttler is coming in for a few games, the power in the batting is beyond the compass of most sides.

So it was this afternoon, when powerful knocks took them way past 200 and pretty much out of sight. Or so you would have thought. They had, after all, blown away Nottinghamshire at Trent Bridge in their previous game for under a hundred while chasing less.

And yet this Derbyshire side is made of stern stuff. Maybe had Shan Masood not been run out we might have taken it even closer, but Luis Reece made a fine half century, Leus du Plooy was explosive and Brooke Guest again quite special in a cameo of brilliance.

That the game effectively went down to the second last over was tribute to them all. Richard Gleeson held his nerve and the task for the last was too great, but there is no shame in losing to this side, especially when, from the frantic field changes, they were getting a little nervous as Guest and du Plooy launched their assault of 78 runs in six overs.

Earlier Salt and Jennings set the tone, before Livingstone, David, Vilas and Croft scored freely. The spinners, Watt and McKiernan, returned the best figures and it was a surprise that Madsen didn't bowl one, maybe two overs.Scrimshaw was the most successful  bowler, but was unlucky with a few top and outside edges. 

But this was another fighting display against a very good side. If we display similar virtues and skill against other sides in the group, a quarter final place is very much a possibility. 

Next is Nottinghamshire.

After this effort, there is nothing and no one to fear. 

14 comments:

1. Livingstone. What a player !! With both bat and ball Decent fielder too.

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Special player, Simon. Play them without him it is a different game, but very much a 3 dimensional cricketer. Top drawer, for sure!

Delete
  2. Unfortunately our bowling attack (however hard they try)are not going to win us many games

ReplyDelete
  3. David exiled in Lancs1 June 2022 at 21:07

I was able to make the trip to Old Trafford today. In my opinion, for all the brilliance of Livingstone and Croft with the bat, the difference between the teams today was the bowling, and actually especially the quicks. Wood and Gleeson had more pace, penetration and variety than Connors and Scrimshaw. Livingstone and David were the pick of the spinners but our batters dealt with Parkinson very well.
    Reece and Masood have to work out their calling quickly. I actually think that the runout of Masood today and Reece yesterday were both the fault of Reece refusing tight but gettable runs. If they had the chance to build a longer opening partnership today - who knows?
    All our batters, (except Masden - everyone is allowed an off day), but especially Reece, Du Ploy and Guest set about the task very well and we were close to favourites with 12 balls to go.
    Finally I thought the atmosphere at OT was strangely subdued today, despite a decent attendance. If/when we score 220 in 20 overs at Derby I'm sure the crowd will be making a lot more noise than came from todays crowd.

ReplyDelete
  4. Is it me or has Reece perished in the 50s each of the last four times he's passed the half ton mark in this format? Could really do with him going on from those but it was a good knock none the less.

Lancs look a serious side.

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No you are right. If he could go on to a big one, it would make him a really special player. He is very good, but we could do with him and Harry Came, another talented player, playing the 'big' knocks

Delete
  5. We fought hard,but, in truth, to be a top T20 outfit we have to be better. Masood will have his off days,and when he does others need to fire. I agree, Reece should go on to a really big score.

Also, Dave Fletcher's co-commentator asked if Derbyshire had any really big hitters, to which he answered, no. I agree. I can't think of one player who can cut loose and really go for it. Madsen, du Plooy, and Reece can all find the boundary, but not in an explosive way. We've yet to Masood off the leash in the T20.

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We scored over 200!! Big enough hitters in there I would say. Generally I find Dave Fletcher talks nonsense when it comes to cricket, so I wouldn't take too much notice. Kevin Howells was his "assistant" yesterday, he's more of a cricket man, and County cricket in particular.

Delete
    2. Yeah I am not sure how much further they need to be hit than six... Certainly Guest and du Plooy were clearing the ropes, Madsen, Reece, Came and Masood can too.

OK, there is no Adrian Kuiper, but we didn't clear many 200s when he played and it isn't JUST about brute force.

But I don't generally listen to commentators. I know what I am watching and only the occasional time do I prefer to have more than my own thoughts

Delete
  6. Paul Maryland USA1 June 2022 at 23:30

It was a valiant effort against a team that will no doubt be the one to beat in this tournament. It feels great to be a Derbyshire supporter right now despite the loss.

ReplyDelete
  7. I find the criticism in the comments bizarre. Everyone is playing with confidence and to the best if their ability. Also you can see the plans. Chalk and cheese compared to last season

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's like watching a different team and shows what a good coach can do with the same materials.

Delete
  8. This team in victory of defeat is playing on a different level to anything I’ve seen for years 💙

ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!