Saturday 18 June 2022

Derbyshire v Yorkshire T20

Yorkshire 175 (Brook 77, Allen 37, Scrimshaw 3-20, Watt 3-29, Kerr 2-20)

Derbyshire 105-4 in 9.4 overs (du Plooy 48*, Masood 34, Leech 3-13)

Derbyshire won by six wickets

A tremendous unbeaten innings of 48 from just 20 balls by Leus du Plooy saw Derbyshire reach their Duckworth Lewis adjusted target of 105 in ten overs with two balls to spare. This after bowling Yorkshire out for 175.

The South African-born star hit five fours and three sixes in his punishing knock, which keeps the Falcons hopes of qualification very much alive. 

It was a sensational finish to the game, reviving memories of Matt Critchley doing the same thing to the same opponents a year or two back, as du Plooy took 19 from four balls (plus a wide). There were shades of Adrian Kuiper for me in how du Plooy smoked the ball over mid wicket for six  to win the game, clearly knowing it was away from the moment it left the bat.

Truth be told after two overs we were looking down a barrel, with Finn Allen and Adam Lyth taking 32 off Kerr and Conners. Then came Mark Watt, with an outstanding double - wicket maiden and a more subdued, celtic version of an Imran Tahir celebration.  For all that du Plooy will rightly get the headlines tonight, Watt's 3-29 in four overs, dismissing three of a strong top five, was a major factor.

Although Harry Brook played a fine innings, he lacked support and after McKiernan dismissed the dangerous Allen and Watt removed Shadab, the runs only came at one end. 

Scrimshaw also bowled beautifully and took three wickets for just one run in his final over, three for just 20 runs overall. Yorkshire fizzled away badly, adding only six runs for their last five wickets in the last two overs. Hayden Kerr also held his nerve to bowl well at the death and 175 seemed within our compass on a small ground.

The fielding is again worthy of mention, with Sam Conners once more outstanding in the deep. Brooke Guest missed a stumping that looked routine, but on replay it bounced abnormally and took him by surprise. 

Then came the rain, with Derbyshire's target eventually 105 from ten overs. I do understand how they calculate these tallies, but with a shorter Powerplay it seemed a big ask, especially having been reduced from 135 from 14 overs during an earlier stoppage. 

Reece hit one six over fine leg then was leg before and Madsen had a three-ball duck. But du Plooy was quickly into his stride and with Masood seemed to have things in hand.

Bess held a fine catch to dismiss the Derbyshire skipper, injuring himself in the process. Might he have bowled the closing over?

We'll never know and it doesn't matter. Although Guest was caught on the boundary, that was as good as it got for Yorkshire, as Leus took control. It was unlucky for Leech, who bowled two fine overs for the visitors, but Yorkshire haemorrhaged runs at the other end. 

Supporters will talk about this one for a few years and it was just a shame that only the hardy were still around to see it at the end, the ground looking superb at full capacity earlier. 

Sitting in my armchair at home, I genuinely fancied us, going into that final over. Left-hander on strike, a batsman of known six-hitting pedigree, shorter legside boundary to hit to and a bowler already gone for 15 in his first over. Once Will Fraine misfielded one and gifted a four, for me it was just a matter of time. 

The vice-captain duly saw us home, in heavy rain. Fair play to him for that and to the umpires for letting an excellent game play to a conclusion.

Four wins on the bounce, a double over the Yorkies. Their supporters aren't happy on Twitter tonight, but Yorkies are never magnanimous in defeat and they should realise, sometime, that they have no divine right to win. 

Be still, my beating heart.

Now let's do it all over again at Birmingham tomorrow. 

29 comments:

1. Evening Steve and all. What a result. Mark Watt seems to be doing the business game in, game out including red ball….what are the chances of us getting him down here on a 2 year all format contract? Would he likely be up for it?

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Craig I would take him in a heartbeat! It is easy to forget that he is still only 25 and will get better.

But can a small staff accommodate three spinners? That's the question, but I think, as Mickey Arthur said when we signed him, he is one of the best finger spinners in the world in this format.

We will need to see!

Delete
  2. Chesterfield blue18 June 2022 at 21:08

We must be getting right up those Yarkshire noses at this moment in time. Little old Derbyshire doing the double over them, there's nothing sweeter.
    Credit to our bowlers for reeling Yorkshire back in as i thought they were primed for 200 plus which would've been a huge ask from us, Watt and Scrimshaw in particular were excellent, very economical.
    I missed our batting as i thought there was no way they'd resume after the first rain,so i was amazed when i saw we'd won by six wickets. Delighted with this win, now let's have a right go against Birmingham tomorrow, we have nothing to fear

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I was saying yesterday, I bet this has annoyed the KP and the other county cricket haters. Derbyshire beating two 'proper' teams in the last week or so!

Delete
    2. That works for me Anon! Can you add your name at the end, thanks!

Delete
    3. It won't let me edit it. but i'm Dave!

Delete
  3. A great performance. A brilliant last two overs to restrict the Yorkshire total.

On a contract extension front, after seeing the additional year for Godleman, I was hoping that du Plooy and McKiernan would also be extended soon. Any rumours or whisperings?

Long live the Arthur Reign. A complete breath of fresh air compared to last Season.

Gareth

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My understanding is that there is interest from elsewhere in Leus, always likely from his appearances in 'that' competition.

Mattie has done very well this year, but does he offer more in all formats than Watt? Would the latter fancy a full time deal over his Scottish one? Can a small staff accommodate three spinners?

Delete
    2. Thanks Peakfan. Your blog is as informative as ever. Always an essential read made all the better when the season is not dire.

I was hoping the lack of contract news for Leus was unrelated to another County’s interest but oh well. Hoping Arthur can persuade him to stay, especially if he is seen as a potential future Captain.

Do you think there is any chance we can persuade him to stay?

Thanks again.

Gareth

Delete
  4. Tim, Chesterfield18 June 2022 at 22:14

The lad bowling at the end for Yorkshire was a 3N County League bowler at best. Shame there were perhaps only a third of the original 5000 in for the finale. Suspect the Derbyshire die hards were mainly around at it was for them more than me perhaps.

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bit harsh. He had a wet ball and a short leg side boundary to contend with. Not helped either by some poor fielding. There are also some very average bowlers in 3N!

Delete
    2. Yeah I think Waite a decent cricketer. If the misfield had been the one it should have been and the top edge had gone to hand, it might have been a different story...

Delete
    3. Yes definitely Steve. I don't think you see it on the stream coverage but Leus was definitely going to push for 2 to try and retain the strike. I think Fraine, in his haste to try and prevent the 2 momentarily takes his eye off the ball and we know the rest. Guess that's what happens sometimes when you put pressure on the fielders. To be fair, it was also a bit damp!

Delete
    4. Yes, anyone who has ever bowled in damp, wet conditions knows it isn't fun and isn't easy! Nor is it for fielders, when you are wary of your footing, besides anything else!

Delete
  5. PeterboroughFalcon18 June 2022 at 22:18

Big credit should also go to the players/ground staff/umpires for getting a game on at all. So often when the rain comes the process for getting going again is glacially slow but today everyone seemed happy to make the best of it and get started asap. They could easily have stopped for rain or bad light at any point of our innings so very grateful to all of them for putting the fans first.

ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent stuff by Derbyshire , 4 wins on the bounce and playing with style and resolve ….

ReplyDelete
  7. A terrific performance. The bowlers got us back into the game in the last five overs of Yorkshire's innings, with Big George picking up three wickets in the final over, and then Masood and du Plooy (he's having a fantastic T20 campaign) went about the run chase calmly and sensibly.

ReplyDelete
  8. Mark Watt's recent performances have certainly proved me wrong and credit it where it's due, he was outstanding yesterday and his first over was crucial. I had suggested we should be looking to use him in the Powerplay so good to see MA is listening to me!!

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All bowlers have days they go around the park, but Mark's control sees him rarely do that. Few spinners bowl death and Powerplay, as he has for a while in Scottish colours. He isn't the athlete that some are, but has a good pair of hands, as evidenced by his being at slip v Middlesex. I like the lad a lot and he is also a terrific character!

Delete
  9. Interested in any views on Conners. Does the experience alone help him improve, or is clearly being the least trusted of the bowlers damaging his confidence?
    Steve you made the very valid case for Dal coming in for Conners, but also mindful of MA’s comments about Conners potential.
    Nathan, Bristol

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Sam's a good bowler with real potential, but I think he should have been 'rested' in this format a while ago. I would be surprised to see him play today, but in MA we trust...

Delete
    2. I think Sam a great talent but ideally he would hone his T20 skills in the 2s. But he is the only fit seamer if conditions suit and has fielded brilliantly. Ideally he needs a rest as he has played every day this year, but MA knows his players

I think he will come through this fine..top lad!

Delete
    3. Like I was saying...Sam Conners should definitely play today!!

Delete
  10. David exiled in Lancs19 June 2022 at 09:14

Brilliant performance yesterday and hoping for similar against Birmingham today.

Hopefully Anuj Dal replaces Sam Connors in the team. We will lose nothing in the field, add even more depth to the batting and probably lose nothing in the bowling, possibly adding more control. Sam will be a great bowler, but I don't think he is quite ready for this format yet. (Incidentally whenever I see Matt Potts bowling for England I am reminded of Sam Connors - they seem (to me at least) to have very similar styles - even down to the half hop step at the start of the run up).

Given that the 3rd and 4th places in the table are likely to be decided between ourselves, Yorkshire and Birmingham it becomes crucial about which teams each don't play given that there are 14 matches not 16 in the season. We don't play Durham (towards the bottom of the table), Yorkshire don't play Northants, and Birmingham don't play Lancs. We definitely lose out in the way that one has worked out.

Final point - Isn't it good to see how well Northants, as one of the poorer, non test ground counties are doing. That can be us next season!

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent points David. Though I have seen us play some of the worst cricket I recall v Durham and don't recall many good ones at The Riverside.

But yes, Northants have recruited well and are playing some really good cricket. Love to see a 'smaller' County doing well!

Delete
    2. Was thinking when Lancashire lost this week, they did so without Liam Livingstone and he was the difference when we played them. That said, I firmly believe we can qualify. We should be confident in the squad’s ability.
      Nathan, Bristol.

Delete
  11. We do have the short straw looking at the fixtures as we only play Durham and Worcester once who are likely to not qualify although maybe the club have some say in the fixtures as I suspect we would prefer the local games for crowd revenue purposes. Also I suspect Salt and Livingstone (maybe Buttler) will be back for the Lancs game next Friday which is unlucky as they are clearly a different team without them. Anyway let’s keep winning until then!

ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!