Thursday 9 June 2022

Derbyshire v Leicestershire T20

Leicestershire 181-6 (Lilley 67, Rutherford 35, Kerr 2-25, McKiernan 2-37)

Derbyshire 182-4 (Masood 73, Reece 39, Guest 29*) 

Derbyshire won by 6 wickets 

On an evening when Shan Masood passed a thousand all-format runs for Derbyshire, the quickest man to ever do so, some good, old-fashioned common sense from Brooke Guest and Alex Hughes steered them comfortably across the finishing line.

Masood played an innings of rare brilliance, yet he does it again and again. There is no greater praise can be given than that the advent of players like Madsen and Du Plooy were rather like after the Lord Mayor's show.

He changed role with Luis Reece tonight, the latter playing the sheet anchor. It looked like a walk in the park when he was dismissed, but some careless batting meant that Hughes and Guest needed to show their professionalism at the end. It was like watching Roadrunner and Speedy Gonzalez as they placed the ball into gaps and sprinted. When an injection of pace was needed, they were not found wanting. 

I would always have Hughes in my one day side. He is brilliant in the field, savvy with bat and ball. Who could ask for more? 

Earlier the first half of the Leicestershire innings was pretty average from our perspective. Almost every over had a closing poor delivery and the visitors made hay. 

Yet Scrimshaw bowled fast and sharp, Watt and McKiernan showed canny skills and Hughes mixed up line and length as he always has. 

We do miss a Rampaul or Langeveldt this year, that guaranteed tight four overs at either end of the innings, but 182 seemed gettable on a good wicket and fast outfield.

So it transpired. Defeat tonight would have been a disaster for our hopes of progression, but we can go to Worcester tomorrow in good heart after what in the end was a fairly comfortable win.

Special mention, in closing, for Sam Conners.

He was outstanding in the field tonight. 

13 comments:

1. Masood was superb. Imperious is probably a better word. Reece played a good supporting role, while Guest (who gets better and better with the bat) and Hughes kept their heads and got us across the line. I agree about our bowling, but at least Big George continues to pick up wickets.

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully last night allays any thoughts of changing the opening pair. Masood is class and Reece is fine at the top of the order. Guest looks a serious player and him and Thompson look like sound acquisitions....both brought to the club by Dave Houghton? just saying.....

Delete
    2. No issues with the opening pair, as long as one goes for it. At Northampton we had two playing the same way.

Likewise DH recruited some good players, but failed to create an environment in which they could thrive...

Delete
    3. Or perhaps some good bowling from Northamptonshire? Sometimes we forget there are 2 sides trying to win. Let's give credit to the opposition.

Maybe the 'environment' is better now, helps when you have a world class player churning out double centuries though. Shame the 'environment' didn't prevent an absolute pasting from Nottinghamshire last week!

Delete
    4. I always credit opponents, Jasper, but by general consensus and their own admission they weren't great at Northampton.

And you are confusing environment with results. Things don't always go to plan with the right environment. But they do more often...

Delete
  2. Made the drive up to Derby to watch last night and going to Worcester tonight too.

Masood was the best player on the park by a country mile. He scored incredibly fast whilst barely hitting the ball in the air. His placement was incredible. Agree Hughes needs to be starting every game, his bowling was very impressive with clever changes of pace really stifling the late push for runs in Leicestershire’s innings.

Finally, Scrimshaw bowled really well and his figures didn’t really reflect his efforts. This included two streaky edges through first slip for four. It was noticeable in his final over he bowled well to a plan to bang it in short.

Nathan from Bristol

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nathan. Yes George has been the bowling standout this year. At his pace there is always the chance of edged boundaries, but you take the rough with the smooth, I guess.

Hope you bring us luck tonight!

Delete
  3. Great win in the end but we're still a long way off the finished article. I thought our bowling in the first 11 overs was awful, a side with more powerful batters would've been out of sight, I'd have fancied myself against our bowling.
    Masood is just a class apart from anything else we have, a joy to watch, but a special mention to Brooke Guest who I feel could go on to be a special player and a very important one in this Derbyshire side.
    No resting now Derbyshire, let's beat Worcestershire and get ourselves in a good position again

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anon (please stick a name on). The bowling was very poor as you say, but we pulled it back. I am always reassured when Guest walks out. The sign of a player of real talent who could become really special

Delete
  4. The batting has been solid apart from Notthants game …the bowling group have been inconsistent and haven’t executed plans well . Squad size doesn’t allow for much change but Dal , Hughes & Thomson give more options over Conners and Came in terms of bowling options . A top 4 place is still possible

ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you go too soon with your criticism before the other team has even batted, then have the bottle to keep it up there Blue.

Craig

Craig

Delete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!