Thursday 23 June 2022

Nottinghamshire v Derbyshire T20

I am short of time tonight and that is perhaps as well, as we weren't at the races today at Trent Bridge.

The home side dominated from first ball to last and once again Alex Hales, Joe Clarke Steve Mullaney and Ben Duckett feasted on bowling that was fairly average.

I thought Mattie McKiernan and Hayden Kerr did pretty well, but the rest were below par, George Scrimshaw having a pretty horrific night in the most expensive spell bowled in T20 by a Derbyshire player. But he wasn't alone and it was a bad night at the office.

There was really no chasing that total after we had been so overawed and only decent innings by Du Plooy and Guest gave the total some respectability. 

The game highlight from our perspective was thee catches of increasing brilliance on the boundary edge by Du Plooy, but that was as good as it got for us tonight.

We were second and second rate.

We have to do better at Derby tomorrow. 

22 comments:

1. Sam Connors not trusted (correctly in my opinion) to even bowl a 2nd over. I think the team would be better balanced with Anuj replacing him.

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam is learning his T20 skills the hard way. I think he needs a rest, but he has been brilliant in the field and we are so short of bowling he has had to play. I agree with you, but the HOC may not!

Delete
  2. No need to dwell on this … 2 home games and in the mix …it’s in our hands …..

ReplyDelete
  3. The less said about this performance the better. We allowed Notts to have a party when they batted, and then we just couldn't find the gears when we batted.

ReplyDelete
  4. Chesterfield blue24 June 2022 at 07:21

George Scrimshaw and Sam Conners to be replaced by Harry Came and Anuj Dal. Ok we're losing a bowler but the batting is deeper. The performance against Notts wasn't acceptable, putting them in was a stupid mistake from the off and boy did it show. Livingstone, Salt, and Butler back for Lancs tonight ,who would bet against them doing the same as Notts?. Need a vast improvement tonight Derbyshire

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. George has the best wicket rate of any bowler EVER for Derbyshire. He had a bad night last night, but so did a few others. I think we are a good chasing side, but the bowlers didn't do their job. Tonight they have to do better and bounce back

Delete
  5. I agree about leaving Connors out. I'd put Dal in, as we get two for the price of one. We need to be able to bat all the way to nine. We got thrashed last night, but I'm not too disheartened. Lessons will have been learned. I'm confident we won't make the same mistakes tonight.

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the only thing is it's fine batting that low, but the bowlers need to keep the target within bounds. You can't chase 12 an over and lose wickets. We were very poor last night, but we move on

Delete
  6. Bad night but you're bound to get days like that in T20. My only comment is why are Du Plooy and Madsen pushed down the order when chasing a huge score. It was seen the night before that Madsen can score up with the best and surely you get your best batsmen in early rather than putting the pinch hitters in for a slog leaving Madsen to come in after 9 overs. In reality it probably wouldn't have mattered either way but has just happened a couple of times in the tournament

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly mate. I saw an idiot on Twitter say George was the worst bowler he had ever seen, and he has a better wicket taking rate than any T20 bowler for us, ever. It was one of those nights. As you say, it happens, we move on. But like you, surely you want Madsen batting when the fields have to be in?

Delete
  7. We were the greatest thing since sliced bread when we beat Northants. Now after the usual defeat against Notts we apparently need wholesale changes. Thankfully the Head of Cricket will have a more balanced view. I am sure every Derbyshire supporter would have taken this position with two games to go. This lineup has got us here against the odds. We have young lads making their way in the bowling group and they need our support.
    Hales and Notts have only really fired twice in this tournament, typically both against us. But that is the nature of the format, where one or two outstanding performances can make the difference.

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's it OA. We aren't as bad as last night suggested, perhaps aren't as good as other performances did. A work in progress but to be challenging with essentially the same group as last year speaks volumes for MA.

Delete
    2. Absolutely spot on old amateur!

Delete
  8. Need to keep things in perspective we are a million miles from last season but a fair few thousand from being perfect

Notts got smashed by Leicestershire a few days ago it happens we move on and it’s still in our hands

Keep the faith and your feet grounded guys

Derbyshire la la la

John

Chesterfield

ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think changes are needed, essentially it was the same team last night that won 5 straight. The batting has been working well, just too big a target set by Notts. I thought it made sense bringing Hayden Kerr in at 3.
    I can't agree with the negatives regarding George Skrimshaw, currently second highest wicket taker in the Blast with 19.

If (hopefully when) we get to the knockout stage, who will open with Reece, perhaps Kerr?

Steve
    Alsager, Cheshire

ReplyDelete
  10. Same old story. Soon as we play below par the knives are out! I can remember people saying MA was not the answer halfway through the first game at Lords. People really need to think before they start thrashing away on their keyboards .
    Drop Skrimshaw because of 1 bad night.
    Our leading wicket taker. The same guy who got 3 wickets in his last over not to long ago. Sam Connors got Chris Lynn out which probably won us the game at Northants or at least gave us a chance. Perspective is key. We have made huge leaps under MA this year. With the same team that was apparently devoid of any skill or bottle. The worst ever Derbyshire team ever I kept hearing. Madsens eyes had gone. Bla bla bla. Yet these players with a few decent overseas signings are now competitive in all the played formats. I defended them last year by saying it was not talent but support and leadership that was missing. MA himself quoted he could not understand the results after looking at the talent in training. We are always gonna have days where things go wrong. It’s called sport. Stick with the team and trust in the coach. He knows far more than all of us that’s clear. Dal is unlucky not to play but he can’t bowl in the power play in my opinion . It might be possible to get him in but the best way for Connors to improve is to play. He is the future of our bowling attack. You don’t win 5 games on the trot without playing decent cricket. We may well lose tonight against probably the strongest teAm in the country and that’s ok. We are on the right track. There will be bumps in the road no doubt but the transformation is nothing but extraordinary in my opinion.
    Well done to all involved at the club.

ReplyDelete
  11. T20 is such a short format game that no side is going to win every single game at this level. Winning 5 out of 6 is very good no need for any sort of panic changes

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's it. Hales has got away with it twice against us but had a poor tournament, as Notts have. We all know what cricket can do!

Delete
  12. Don't panic, Mr Mainwearing! The boys will get to the quarter finals.

ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!