Tuesday 31 May 2022

Yorkshire v Derbyshire T20

Yorkshire 83-3 (Malan 50, Kerr 2-18, Watt 1-18)

Derbyshire 84-1 (Madsen 39*, Masood 32*)

Derbyshire won by nine wickets

Wow!

That was a wonderfully professional performance by Derbyshire at Headingley tonight, as they trounced Yorkshire by nine wickets in an eight over game.

Hayden Kerr's first over saw him remove the dangerous Lyth and Shadab for just two runs, before a fine half century by Malan threatened to take the game away..

Sam Conners took some stick in his first over, but came back well in his second. Mark Watt bowled two very canny overs, his second a masterpiece of canny skill that saw Malan well held by Sam Conners in the deep. Scrimshaw, who survived a nasty fall in bowling his first ball, held his nerve and the home score of 83-3 was challenging but not out of sight.

After two overs, one of them excellent from Rauf, we had only 14 on the board and Reece was run out at the start of the next over.

But then it was the Masood and Madsen show. The pair added 69 runs in 5. 2 overs of exhilarating batting that put the home bowling to the sword. Masood yet again played some sparkling strokes, but Madsen tonight, in his 400th game for the county, was sublime.

Was his slashed six off Haris Rauf better than the reverse swept one off Adil Rashid? I don't know, but you could put that five overs of batting on a DVD and sell copies. It was that good, two brilliant players at the top of their game, pacing a run chase to perfection and winning with three balls to spare.

What a display! Lancashire next, who slaughtered Nottinghamshire at Trent Bridge tonight. That should be good.. 

Forget the Hundred. I have seen the future and it is 48s...

6 comments:

1. I was at the game. Yorkshire failed to exert much pressure from ball one – they didn’t have big enough overs with the bat, and for every big-ish over, a tight one was to follow. My pick was Sam Conners, who bowled quick, and kudos to him for coming back well in his second over when Yorkshire were looking to kick on.

Then Madsen just oozed class. He pretty much always does well at Headingley. What a player! (Though if I bowled at him I’d target his pads!). All the kids that stayed around at the end wanted his autograph or selfie.

Yorkshire didn’t get enough runs but their bowling changes were odd – Khan and Rashid bowled too late, and only one over from each.

Despite winning convincingly, we weren’t at our best – Malan dropped on 12, Scrimshaw continuously bowling short so batters could get set (though otherwise bowled well), and a run out. But we can take confidence into our next game which is effectively a free swing against the group favourites.

ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic performance. Great opening over from Kerr and Masood and Madsen took control to get us over the line.

ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing and I mean nothing sweeter then beating Yorkshire on their own patch ( apart from in Queen’s Park ) my old Dad would be looking down with pride tonight

John Chesterfield

ReplyDelete
  4. Sensational! Only an 8 over thrash but the way we went about it was so very impressive. Madsen having a great season and what a capture Masood has been!

ReplyDelete
  5. These shortened games are a bit of a lottery and helpful to win the toss, very sweet to quieten the Yaaarrkshire supporters shame there weren't more of them there!

I've been critical of Watt, but his second over was crucial and contributed hugely to our victory. And well done Shan for hiding him in the field for 8 overs!

ReplyDelete
  6. Chesterfield blue1 June 2022 at 11:07

Brilliant professional performance by Derbyshire last night, timed to absolute perfection. I couldn't see us getting to that total but with Shan and Wayne at the crease never write this Derbyshire side off. That reverse sweep for six was a magnificent shot by Wayne, sheer class that the Yorkshire commentator seemed too bitter to comment on, luckily the co commentator did.
    I'm liking the balance to this T20 line up, I really think we can be the surprise package this season. Well done lads now let's give Lancs a great battle

ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!