Friday 24 June 2022

Derbyshire v Lancashire T20

Derbyshire 188-8 (Masood 75, Madsen 70)

Lancashire 183-5 (Croft 47, Wells 42, David 42*)

Derbyshire won by 5 runs

How quite extraordinary that game was!

I will be honest, there were few points in that game, after the partnership between Madsen and Masood was broken, where I felt we were in the box seat. Indeed, when Hayden Kerr was out with the score just 51 in the eighth over, I was struggling to see where a score was coming from.

Another eight overs and 99 runs later, I thought we were looking at 200, then it tailed off again. The two greats - and I use that term wisely and accurately, as posterity will deem them so - have taken batting to a level we haven't seen in 40 years. For those who weren't there, this was what watching Wright and Kirsten was like, though Masood is more fluent as a bat than John was. Madsen is currently imperious, however and his stroke play quite breathtaking, while Masood struck his county record fifth half century of the Blast and went past 1500 runs in all formats for the season. Astonishing. 

The score gave us something to bowl at, even though Jennings, Livingstone and Buttler were all missing from the visiting line up, as was Parkinson. Such is the depth of their talent, the batsmen still looked imposing and they began well. 

Salt and Wells led off in style, before the former was brilliantly caught by du Plooy, who is seemingly in a one-man catch of the season competition. This one was possibly better than his three last night and he followed with a more straightforward one to remove Wells, who slogged unnecessarily at Thomson when they were already cruising at ten an over.

In came Vilas to partner the always dangerous Croft but he was well caught at the second attempt by Guest, while Croft fell to a fine diving effort from Thomson off the bowling of Watt.

Slowly, the rate was climbing, but with the powerful David at the crease, 33 from the last four overs seemed a formality. McKiernan, Watt and Hughes had bowled with discipline, but Hayden Kerr was outstanding tonight. Four overs for just 24, in the context of this game, was a terrific effort and he gave away little.

So much so so that it came down to the last over, with the visitors still needing eleven. At this point, hats need doffed to captain Masood, as George Scrimshaw was asked to bowl it, despite his previous three having gone for 48. After a nightmare at Trent Bridge last night it was a huge show of faith by the captain.

Yet it was rewarded by a bowler who showed courage and got his lines right when it mattered. A single to David off the first ball was followed by two dot balls, then a top edged four leaving six from two. Jones, on strike seemed to expect a short ball, but one well pitched up saw him leg before, leaving Lamb needing six from the last.

A wild swish to a well-directed short ball outside off went through to Brooke Guest and Derbyshire sealed a momentous, unexpected victory. 

This was a triumph of a battling spirit, no little skill and bravery, from both a captain and a man whose confidence had to have been knocked. The fielding was excellent too, in a good team effort. 

Beat Durham in the last game and we will be through. Leicestershire and Northamptonshire, who play each other next Friday, could still pip us on net run rate, but neither can get more than our current sixteen points, and ours is currently the best run rate of the three sides. 

For a team that were pretty woeful at the format last year, that is quite something. 

They deserve every credit for their efforts tonight and through the competition.

I can only use that word again.

Amazing!

26 comments:

1. An excellent report to sum up a tremendous game of T20.
    This team managed to get over the line when never really looking on top at any point after the dismissal of Wayne.
    Very pleased for George who was rightly beaming afterwards.
    What a great couple of games we have had at the County Ground this week. A terrific atmosphere tonight as well.

ReplyDelete
  2. Marvellous again (even though I followed some of it through the cracks in my fingers)

I am confused. I have been conditioned to understand that the final over events would only ever happen against us ?

It's happening isn't it ?

ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, what a game! We started slowly when we batted, and looked like reaching around 140. We were 72-2 after 10 overs and struggling to find the boundary. But then, yet again, Masood and Madsen put on a show and 200 looked to be on. When we fizzled out towards the end of the innings, I wondered if we had enough. Lancashire seemed to be coasting it at one point, but our bowling unit reigned them in. Masood giving the last over to Big George looked questionable, given how many runs he'd conceded. But he rose to the challenge magnificently and Lancashire were left floundering. A fantastic performance by Derbyshire.

ReplyDelete
  4. Top level sport is not always about ability. They all have it or they wouldn’t be there. Mostly it’s about confidence and belief. This group of players have now got it. As with Eddie Barlow and Dean Jones, Mickey as got them playing with with both. Sport is still fickle, especially T20. At the risk of repeating myself this is all down to MA and his staff. With a few good overseas signings (something we have been missing for ages) and the right philosophies he has transformed us into something that few thought possible in literally less than half a season. Unbelievable!
    Long may it continue.

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have won twice the games of last year, by adding Watt, Masood and Kerr. But we also missed Madsen for much of it, also Hughes. So that is a factor, but clarity of thought is a major one too!

Delete
  5. Credit to the team ….wicket seemed a little two paced but 188 very competitive ….excellent in the field which kept us in the game ….Hayden Kerr super bowling to build pressure ….great stuff

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Kerr has done well. Useful runs, second highest wicket taker and only going for nine an over, excellent fielder. Perhaps better for us than Lakmal would have been in this format? He has impressed me with his attitude and willingness to learn, as well as getting immersed in the team ethic

Delete
  6. Chesterfield blue25 June 2022 at 08:34

A brilliant night at Derby and what a game to watch, topped off by the annoying trumpet sound even getting cheered, yes that's what the mood was like in the county ground. We took some time to get in our stride but when you have Shan and Wayne at the crease fireworks will happen eventually. Wayne was the better of the two, smashing Lamb all over the place, quality stuff. 190 was a good total even though 200 plus looked achievable at one point.
    The bowling was decent, Kerr looks great and big shout outs to Hughes and Mckiernan who slowed Lancs down with some tidy bowling. Groans rang around the ground when George was given the final over, but what a comeback that was, pure speed and aggression, the Lancs batsmen couldn't even see the ball it was that quick. Great win lads, delighted with that result and performance

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. McKiernan has been a revelation this year. Even against Notts he came out better than most. Good, solid cricketer. The kind you like to see do well!

Delete
  7. What a rollercoaster of a game that was! Slow start, magnificent from Shan and Wayne and a disappointing finish when 200 looked on. As for the bowling, Kerr seems to be finding his feet now, but keeping David off strike at the end helped enormously. Great character shown by Scrimshaw at the end, not only because of his previous 7 expensive overs but also the easy catch he dropped (Croft). Also, a mention for Alex Hughes. I thought we began to reign them in once he came on to bowl. Often overlooked, but as I've mentioned before he is a very important 'cog' in this side

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it is easy to forget that Kerr has never bowled in a match outside Oz before us. He has adapted well, and I agree our resurgence started when Alex came into the side. In one day cricket he is a genuine 3 in 1 player and every side needs those!

Delete
  8. I'd hate to imagine what was going through George Scrimshaws head during that final over, especially after going for so many runs previously. It's a credit to this team as a collective that they had faith and gave him the confidence to help win the game for us. And once again, I am begging Madsen to stay with us until retirement age.

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think Wayne will go anywhere now. And from his imperious form this year he has a few years in him yet!

Delete
  9. I came across this on the Cricket Pakistan web site. Interesting.

Pakistan opening batter Shan Masood has revealed that he has started playing cricket a bit more freely which has been the reason behind his recent successes.

“In the last two years and especially since October, I have started playing cricket more freely. I go out there and enjoy myself while not worrying about the past and future and that has helped me,” Shan said in an interview with Cricwick.

“What I’m trying to do is take it a game at a time, a session at a time, just trying to stay in the present,” he further added.

The left-hander further praised Derbyshire head coach Mickey Arthur and admitted he has had a huge role in his development as a player over the past six years.

“He spent three years in Pakistan and I would say that a lot of my development took as he is 100 per cent honest, even if it’s brutal. That honesty comes from a very good place, from a place where he wants you to do better and expects you to do better,” said Masood.

“I consider myself lucky to have a guy who’s going to give me an honest opinion and going to be there for me no matter what. He’s always somebody that will put himself on the line for his players, loves his players, and is great at managing his players. I think he’s taking this county to another level,” the left-hander concluded.

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice link, thank you! Well he has done us proud and if was nice to see that the commitment to do well remains even now he is back in the national squad.

He is as good as I have seen across formats. A really special player!

Delete
  10. An amazing victory last night. Having checked the scores regularly on Cricinfo, I was convinced we'd lose after Shan and Wayne were out. Then Lancs seemed to be cruising so when I checked again to see we had won I thought "surely some mistake?" All credit to the team for never giving up.

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huge respect to them for that. Until 2 balls from the end I was pleased we had taken the game deep. But was surprised David didn't take responsibility in the last over. Jones had struggled with timing and at 6 from 2 Ieft I thought he might let David have last ball. That's why they signed him..

Delete
  11. Chesterfield blue25 June 2022 at 12:15

I know this is a bit random but I overheard two Lancs fans last night and they had travelled from Liverpool and were scousers. I never realised there support extended to Liverpool and it got me thinking if any famous cricketers have been born in Liverpool, I can't think of any?

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reggie Spooner, one of the greats of the 'Golden Age' was. So too Ken Cranston, who also played for England. More recently, Iain Cockbain of Gloucs. But for a place it's size it isn't a hotbed of cricketers of real renown

Delete
    2. I know Liverpool is a lot bigger than Derby, but I often think that about us. Relatively few big names from here and in my recollection our biggest successes have come from Staffs.

Craig

Delete
    3. I dunno. Kevin Dean, Paul Aldred, Albert Alderman, Bob Stephenson, Iain Anderson, Colin Tunnicliffe, Fred Swarbrook and Wayne White were/are all Derby lads. Good County players all!

Delete
    4. Nathan Dumelow is another Derby born player as is Will Jefferson

Delete
    5. There's quite a few more and you are right on those two. I just mentioned better known ones who played for Derbyshire more than others

Delete
  12. The transformation of the club under MIckey Arthur is simply astounding. This season's performances are a delight to watch and it is great to see our team playing with confidence and belief. The environment at the club looks to be both nurturing and flourishing.

Another terrific (almost) a century stand between Shan & Mads. When they are in the zone like that, it’s laughably good entertainment. Again, though, Luis not seeming sure of himself with the first over of spin.

We took some super catches last night; Leus’ first was fantastic to cover the ground to a dropping ball. Thomson reacted quickly to a sharp, high flash, and Guest did remarkably well to deflect an edge upwards (just as I thought he’d missed a stumping).

As mentioned already, Kerr is fully integral now and Mattie contributes well, too. We have a team to be proud of, and I’m back in love with Derbyshire cricket.

Two hundred looked on for us, briefly but we lost wickets at the wrong time. In turn, this caused Lancs difficulty in getting over the line. For much of that chase they were odds-on. Outstanding effort to claw them back. And, lastly, as though penned by a local scriptwriter, Tim David opting to take a single off George’s first ball. That he had to watch the rest of the game was possibly the difference? Well bowled, George!! Well played, lads!
    Matt

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice Post Matt (your first? but hopefully not last)

This was why I was advocating change last year. We would never have done this under DH. While he had a good eye for a player, he was not a motivator or tactician. Mickey is and we are SO lucky to have him.

Can't wait to see what the future brings under him!

Delete
  13. Never in doubt .....

Andy

ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!