Friday 10 June 2022

Worcestershire v Derbyshire T20

Derbyshire 168-7 (Masood 65, Du Plooy 27)

Worcestershire 129-9 (d'Oliveira 55, Haynes 35, McKiernan 3-19, Kerr 2-24, Watt 2-28, Hughes 1-21, Madsen 1-3)

Derbyshire won by 39 runs

That old adage of never judging a batting effort until the other side has had a go was never more apposite than tonight.

While our score of 168-7 was not out of sight, I felt that some late order clubbing from Hughes, McKiernan and Watt took it to competitive. Watt's last over flip for six down to fine leg was the shot of the innings, having first shimmied outside leg to convince Brown to bowl on leg stump, then moving with remarkable speed for a big man to off stump to produce a shot anyone would have been proud of. 

Once again the innings was built around Masood the Magnificent. I should invent some superlatives for this man, because his stroke play was again beyond everyone else on the pitch. Du Plooy played well for a while but good timers of a cricket ball were generally struggling, which gave me cause for optimism. 

As a unit, this was our best bowling of the season. The introduction of Alex Hughes has added nous to the attack and his variations of pace were never really dealt with. Hayden Kerr took 2-24 and was very steady, though he should have had three after a pretty awful mix up saw a dolly go down off Dolly... 

I thought it would be our game when Guest, a pickpocket behind the stumps, noticed Munro out of his ground and removed the bails in a flash. Watt had earlier produced one that seemed to swing and spin to remove Moeen Ali first ball, the tumbling wickets having a similar effect on the run rate. 

Yet star man tonight, for me, was Mattie McKiernan. A quick unbeaten 14, then 3-19 with his legspin, before a running, tumbling catch to remove Bravo. When Hughes held an equally good one at mid wicket to remove d'Oliveira, who made a battling 50 despite being dropped twice, the game was up. 

That was a top effort by Derbyshire. They were below par at Northampton but have played good cricket over the last two nights. 

They control their own destiny with six games to go and can do no more than that. 

Next is four-day cricket at Chesterfield, ground of the Gods.

Assuming we have enough fit seamers, of course... 

12 comments:

1. Really enjoyed the performance tonight - wholly agree re: McKiernan, who got one or two to turn a lot and bowled with real control. The Worcestershire commentators on the stream made me eternally grateful for Fletch, though. They seemed almost comically indifferent to Derbyshire taking a wicket!

ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Peakfan, longtime lurker and first time poster. I just came across a post on a Zimbabwe cricket forum regarding Dustin Melton apparently being released last month? Don't know if that's true or not but from a quick cricinfo search he doesn't seem to have played since the Oxford game in any 1st or 2nd team games, so was wondering if you might know anything?

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think an announcement on Melton will be made in the near future, but he hasn't played in either his overseas role or any other capacity of late so it would appear that way.

Delete
  3. Great overview of the game, as always. Masood again looked superb, although not as fluent as the night before which had made us think it might not be the easiest of tracks to score quickly on.

McKiernan was on top of his game, but I still think Alex Hughes has brought great balance and skill to the team and was personally my man of the match. His variety with the ball is a very calming influence.

Interestingly in both the games Vs Leicestershire and Worcestershire, the pre game warm ups showed a gulf in professionalism. Derbyshire had clear stretching, mobility and cricket based drills. They looked sharp and ready for action. Both of our opponents in the last two games spent time playing football. Mickey Arthur is squeezing every ounce out of the squad, we should feel very proud of our team.

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 100% Anon. Please stick a name at the end so we know who you are!

Delete
  4. Masood is a Rolls Royce of a player. He led from the front again and used his bowlers astutely (interestingly, Connors didn't bowl). McKiernan put in a great performance, but all the bowlers did well, never letting Worcestershire take control. Alex Hughes is proving his worth, and he took two catches last night.

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Masood is astonishing. You could argue that if Conners isn't bowling then Dal should play, but it was very much a pace off wicket and Alex Hughes is perfect on those!

Delete
  5. Chesterfield blue11 June 2022 at 08:14

I have an apology to make, I posted in haste during our innings saying it wasn't going to be enough when we were 140 with just over 3 overs to go. To get to 170 was a lot better and we had a great chance from there. The bowling was excellent, very tight from most except Scrimshaw who got some punishment.
    We needed two wins from these matches and mission accomplished, let's push on from here now Derbyshire, great victory

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be fair, 140 with 3 to go can easily get to 170 and I thought you hasty, when people were struggling with timing, apart from Masood!

But fair play, big enough to apologise and I am sure once bitten, twice shy!

Delete
  6. The last 2 games have shown how useful a player in this format Alex Hughes is. He was an integral part of the team which made it to finals day if I recall correctly. Very odd that he didn't feature in the first 6 games. Some of us wouldn't mind seeing him captain the side, though I have no problem with Shan as captain.

Good performance generally last night apart from some poor fielding. Other results could have gone better, and let's hope Worcestershire can do us some favours and take points off our rivals.

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My bad! Alex has played in the last 3 games!

Delete
  7. 2 excellent performances and 2 much needed wins. Hoping this form carries on in the Championship match v Middlesex starting tomorrow at Chesterfield. I shall be there!

ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!