Sunday 22 June 2008

Derbyshire v Leicestershire

At the half way stage we surely cannot make a mess of this?

Having restricted Leicester to just 118-6 in 20 overs, a total of 119 at 6 an over SHOULD be a breeze. Once again the bowlers have done well. The only surprise is that Charl only bowled two overs (one of them a maiden) but everyone bowled steadily and I would hope even our fragile batting might manage this.

Greg Smith has gone quickly in reply and Dom Telo appeared to be getting going when he was out. As I type, Wavell Hinds is unbeaten on 18 after an excellent spell of bowling (four overs for thirteen) and we need 67 from 13 overs with eight wickets in hand.

I really, really hope that Hinds and skipper Rikki Clarke see us to the win and a morale booster. If we win this with seven wickets down it is hardly anything to crow about, but a convincing win, even against South Africa B (sorry Foxes fans, but...) would be worthwhile.

I'm a bit baffled by HD Ackerman in this cricket. If I batted through for 49 in 20 overs at my club they'd reckon I was batting for my average, unless someone blazed away at the other end. That's not the first time he's done that and although it must be reassuring to have a batsman who can bat through the innings (we haven't got many who could) it isn't overly impressive.

Talking of club batting, I'm still the proud partner of a club record partnership record in an opening stand of 117. My share was eleven...

The chap at the other end was a huge hitter and was seeing it like a barrage balloon, let alone a football. I simply pushed singles (I only faced 12 balls during the partnership) and let him continue the fun. Some might think my contribution negligible, but considering it only took 11 overs I thought it a sensible approach then, and still do. Hey, and we won the match so it must have worked!

73-2 as I close. 46 needed from eleven overs. With two mates from the club, my wife, kids and family guinea pigs still to bat I could win this one from here. If we make a cobblers of it from here they should all take up macrame.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!