Sunday 4 June 2023

Yorkshire v. Derbyshire T20

Derbyshire 166-8 (Ali 74, Madsen 44, Mike 3-39)

Yorkshire 169-3 (Malan 81*)

Yorkshire won by 7 wickets

Derbyshire slipped to defeat at Headingley today, which looked inevitable at the halfway stage. 

It is clear to see where the problem is.

From the first six overs we scored only 38 runs. From the last three we scored only 17. The bit in the middle was fine, but we simply have to make greater use of the Powerplay and more intelligent use of the overs at the death. 

Part of the problem, and I hate to say it because I really like him as a player, is that Luis Reece is too slow at the top of the innings. Just six from 14 balls today,following on from 23(21), 53(35), 19(15), 0 (2), 14 (12). Only at Trent Bridge did he score at an acceptable rate and today the problem was compounded by the in form Madsen not getting in until the ninth over.

Reece is a fine player, but perhaps he might be better utilised down the order at present.

I am a big subscriber to your best batters having the most time in the middle in this format. What Derbyshire need to do is elevate Tom Wood to open alongside the rejuvenated Haider Ali, which allows Wayne and Leus to bat at 3 and 4. 

Ali played very well today, while Madsen just missed out on what would have been a world record sixth T20 score over fifty. But as far as the batting went, that was it. Wood lent some support (and later bowled as well as anyone) but the rest of the batting was a mess. Du Plooy is having a bad trot, partially because he is coming in too low, partially because his shot selection at present is awful. Today's was pretty horrific and I didn't understand it, for a player who has such a powerful, front of the wicket game.

The final total was a score that was competitive in the early years of 20 over cricket, but in good conditions not even close today

While the result looked nailed on at the halfway mark, Malan and Lyth sealed it in the Yorkshire power play. Both are good players, of course and would walk into the Derbyshire side, but we had an opportunity ahead of this game and totally failed to take it.

Back to the drawing board. I fully appreciate there are not many options for Mickey Arthur, but today was one of those days when we don't make anything close to the best of what we have.

And with that, I head off to enjoy my Sunday afternoon in the garden.

16 comments:

1. So Wayne failed by just 6 runs to create a new world T20 record. But still a magnificent successful effort to equal it. Good also to see Haider Ali come good at last but Du Plooy....oh dear! Perhaps he needs to drop himself in favour of Harry Came.

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my shout as well, or Reece for that matter

Delete
  2. John Troostory4 June 2023 at 15:55

As a 75 year old brought up watching the majestic batting of Cowdrey, Graveney, Gower etc. I can't understand how anyone can enjoy watching "cricket" containing such shots as were the downfall of Reece, Wood and DuPlooy. They simply looked foolish. This is no criticism of Derbyshire, they all do it. No doubt today's kids will try to emulate these efforts and thus I can't see any long-term future in the game that I love. At least the catches were good.

ReplyDelete
  3. Harry Came deserves his chance before it''s too late. Reece and DuPlooy are woefully out of form. Will MA give Harry a chance ? Of course he won't.

ReplyDelete
  4. Not for the first time in this T20 campaign, we failed to capitalise after Ali and Madsen put is in a great position to push on to 200, collapsing from 147-2 in the 17th over to 166-8.

Our bowlers did the best, but Yorkshire, with Malan in control, always looked like getting over the finishing line.

Aside from Madsen, our top order batting has been poor. In six innings, Reece has scored 115 runs and du Plooy 54. Ali seems to be coming good after scoring just 22 runs in his first four innings. A team won't achieve success with these kinds of figures.

It was a disappointing performance. On a positive note, we won only two of our first six games last season. And then went on a terrific run. Of course, we had Masood then. But perhaps Ali, after his knock today, will do a similar job.

ReplyDelete
  5. Chesterfield blue4 June 2023 at 16:56

Back to the rubbish that we get served up far too often watching Derbyshire. If only we had some decent back up option batsmen, Reece and Du Plooy would be out of this team, both in hopeless form but there's only Came to replace one or the other and I'm not sure he's the answer.
    Our batting like you say Peakfan is ponderous, you can't afford dot balls, we have loads in our innings or singles, we haven't anybody who can let fly shot after shot. That was never going to be a test for Yorkshire, who won at a canter. We're not scoring 200 plus anytime soon,and these totals we're mustering just aren't going to win many matches

ReplyDelete
  6. Andy from Suffolk4 June 2023 at 17:30

I agree, John. I’m 60 yo and find T20 cricket very boring. Cricket has two USPs, which make it the best sport in the world IMO. The first is aesthetics - a Gower cover drive is a thing of beauty. The second is that it is played much more in the head than other sports, which I think is due to it being 2 batters v 11 fielders on the pitch. A game which shifts momentum many times over 4 or 5 days is so much more rewarding than the 20 over slog-fest, which is very geared to just encouraging six hits.
    I fear that all top-level cricket will be T20 in 10 years and we’ll lose the aesthetics and the cerebral nature of the game.
    Looking forward to 4 days at beautiful Queens Park next week. Hopefully Luis R and LdP can bat themselves into form.

ReplyDelete
  7. David exiled in Lancs4 June 2023 at 17:34

I made the trip over the Pennines to watch the match today.

We were of course well and comfortably beaten. It sign of just how well was that Shan Masood didn't need to put his pads on.

But the match also showed just how fine the margins in this format can be.

If only Haider Ali and Wayne Madsen hadn't both holed out at a crucial time. Similarly if Tom Wood hadn't fallen to a brilliant catch off a firmly hot reverse sweep just as he was starting to motor.

If only Leus Du Plooy hadn't fallen in off his foot (or at least that's what it looked like to me).

If only Zak Chappell hadn't really struggled with his footholds in his first over. Strange because no-one else seemed to struggle.

And most importantly if Luis Reece hadn't had a royal shocker of a match. No timing at all in his batting and his one over was the worst I've ever seen him bowl. A high full toss leading to a free hit and then a wide that was barely on the strip.

It was a shame that Madsen got so close to the record but not quite, and it was great to see Ali come into form. One of his sixes landed adjacent to me on the top tier of the football stand. Not many people hit it that far.

Again Mckiernan only bowled 2 overs, We needed wickets and he is probably more likely that Watt to get them. Do you think he is considered too much of a risk to bowl 4 overs?

I think its time to give Reece a rest, and bring Came in. We would still have 5 front line bowlers plus Wood, Madsen and Du Plooy if necessary

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But one of those 5 would be McKiernan who can sometimes travel. It's a conundrum. As stated previously we haven't really replaced Alex Hughes. Dal could perhaps have fulfilled that role but isn't fit to bowl, so it seems. The other option would have been an overseas all rounder.

Delete
  8. I think we need to play either Came or Lamb as an additional batsman in the game on Wednesday, and drop McKiernan. We need someone in the middle who is a proper batsman. This is down the wicket.

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we need to keep mckeirnan for his bowling option. Good fielder and can biff it at the end as he showed yesterday. 10 off 3 balls was the only part of the tail that wagged. Maybe lamb or came for Reece who looks like he’s struggling with bat and ball

Delete
  9. Agree with Peakfan comments,our powerplay batting has been below par .Came could be an option or Lamb ( where is he ? ) Would be interesting to chase a target !!!!

ReplyDelete
  10. Horrendous decision to bat Wayne at 4!!! The best t20 batsman in the country this season bar none and he gets half the overs. Wood batted well the other night but he ain’t Wayne and doesn’t have the all round game that Wayne has. We don’t half make life difficult for ourselves with these amateurish decisions 🙄
    Paul

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fully agree. It was very odd.

Delete
  11. Early June and this season is already in danger of becoming another disappointing episode in the life and times of DCCC. Hope and expectation were so high but Management has to take responsibility and it is time to hear something from them.... if they are still around.

ReplyDelete
  12. Great write up, Steve. I was at the match and found it pretty depressing. Too slow from the off, and pathetic once Haider and Wayne were out. They were both great - and Haider’s innings finally showed the full potential of the player we hoped we’d signed - but most of the rest was miserable. No way Reece should be opening in T20 if that is the best he can do - be better off with Tom Wood or Harry Came going in first. The bowling was pitiful in large part. I’d be interested to see Thomson given a go. T20 needs quality spinners and I’m not sure any of ours comes into that category. But why did Du Ploy put Reece on when he did? One of the worst overs I’ve ever seen. It all feels very confused and confusing. I’m usually very optimistic but I felt we really missed a chance today. I hope I’m regretting the negative tone of this post in a weeks time!

ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!