Saturday 9 July 2022

Somerset v Derbyshire T20

Somerset 265-5(Rossouw 93, Banton 73, Scrimshaw 2-16)

Derbyshire 74 (Siddle 3-10, Green 3-17)

Somerset won by 191 runs

Overawed and outclassed.

That was the reality at Taunton tonight, as a rampant, brilliant Somerset steamrollered Derbyshire with a batting blitz, led by Rilee Rossouw. It was a T20 record score, as you might expect. 

It is very easy to say, as some were doing on social media, that we were 'crap'. We didn't bowl brilliantly - Scrimshaw aside, more later - but we weren't allowed to. Any aberration in line or length ended up at or over the boundary.

Yet it can't be forgotten how far we have come this summer. It is essentially the same squad as last year, and shorn today of their talisman captain, Shan Masood and overseas bowling all-rounder, Hayden Kerr, we were up against it from the start.

Some of these players won't be a part of the longer-term plans, some very much will be. But you can't let one result define the season. Only learn from it and move on.

Yes, it was embarrassingly one-sided, but for us to win tonight they needed to be off colour and we all needed to play out of our skins. We didn't and they certainly didn't.

Rossouw is a fearsome batsman in his best form and I have seen him do that against far better attacks than ours. You hope he might play around one early, but tonight he was on a different plane. Banton did well too, but should have gone early when Aitchison, a good fielder, put down one he would hold 99 times in a hundred. 

It was noisy, boorish, intimidating and we simply didn't cope. George Scrimshaw did and he was brilliant, fast and hostile. Four overs two for sixteen in the context of the carnage around him was sensational. But let's not forget that George was twice recently on the end of fearful stick and that Mattie McKiernan, who went for a world record-equalling 82 off his four overs tonight, had bowled superbly in the group stages, our second most economical bowler 

That is the great game of cricket, the leveller. How often do you see batsmen get a duck after a century? How often does a fielder drop a dolly, then hold a blinder? If you have played the game, you have been there. 

We were slaughtered in the field, but didn't help ourselves with some average moments. With the bat we were pretty shambolic, but again were facing an attack with four international bowlers, four more than we had.

It was painful, it was not as we hoped for by some distance. But we mustn't forget the memorable afternoons and evenings that this team has given us in the competition.

They will be hurting right now, as will Mickey Arthur and his coaching team. They are better than they showed tonight and next time they get to such a stage will want to do much better.

We go again. Durham on Monday, let's get back to winning ways in the four-day game. 

17 comments:

1. I can't say anything, Steve. MA has done a great job, but this was embarrassing. I can't work out why we failed so badly. Everything seemed to go wrong.

ReplyDelete
  2. Other than Scrimshaw ,they all struggled tonight .Also not easy for the skipper ( first game in role ) I assume Kerr has an injury ….anyway much improved on last year ….move on

ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just going to say well done for getting this far - learn from this, look at the improvement and believe. George was unlucky not to have got a wicket in his first over; if he had he would probably have stayed on and Somerset would have had a totally different challenge. Mickey will now know what he wants in terms of squad strengthening.
    But t20s a daft game anyway...!!! The real stuff starts again on Monday and I would unleash Scrimshaw, Aitchison and Conners. A win at Durham is important if we are to maintain our challenge in the CC, and we need to lay the ghosts of Hove and Taunton. Good that there is only a short gap to the next match after tonight's mauling.

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, Phil. The limit of our current capabilities. The question is who we can sign to take us on to the next level..

Delete
  4. What I forgot to say was that allowing Somerset to rack up such a massive score, I thought we'd get over 200 and fall 30 or 40 short - but we were bowled out for 74.

ReplyDelete
  5. The game was done at half way. In T20, you usually get close thrillers, or one sided nothing games. Kris

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was done before half way, Kris, at 15 overs. In boxing it would have been stopped. But you don't chase 13 an over. Happens once in a blue moon

Delete
  6. It pretty much goes without saying that tonight’s match was a hard one to watch, especially knowing how well we have performed in other games this season. It was always going to be difficult without Shan and on a ground where large scores are pretty much par for the course, but so many aspects of our performance were poor tonight. However, it has to be remembered just how much progress we have made this year and this one match shouldn’t be allowed to overshadow the rest. Yes, they were outclassed tonight and, with the exception of George Scrimshaw, nobody played to their full potential, but there is still plenty of pride to be taken from the T20 campaign as a whole. I hope that Mickey Arthur and the rest of his coaching staff can pick the players up and not let their confidence be dented for the second half of the season. They can learn a lot from tonight’s game and hopefully come back stronger.

Sarah

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sage words, Sarah. We have to walk before we run

Delete
  7. No excuses Peakfan Scrimshaw apart it was embarrassing if Dave Houghton was still in charge he would be getting slaughtered on here tonight,Kerr's injury is obviously more than just a knock/niggle Derbyshire's ground fielding was poor tonight as it was last Sunday against Durham, the batting relies too much on Madsen and whoever the overseas is, regarding Scrimshaw I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't announced soon that he has been offered a contract by the likes of Surrey and will be signing immediately

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But Ranger, as, I said today, this is last year's team. Mickey's players have strengthened it, but 2 of the 3 were missing. As for George, of course wolves will circle, but unless they buy out his contract, he stays at Derbyshire to the end of next season.

Delete
  8. I hope the players aren’t too demoralised by that tonight as it mustn’t hide the fact that the first half of our season has been really good and there is still lots to play for. I’ll admit that there were some decisions that I didn’t understand (for example, couldn’t Wayne have had a bowl instead of giving that fourth one to Matty?) but I always thought it was going to be a tough ask against a top side without our captain and one of our striker bowlers. You are right that we had to be at our very best and with the exception of George we didn’t rise to the occasion. A regret, but hopefully Mr Arthur will lead to us back to these latter stages more times in the future. I still believe.

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, Michael. Like I said before, free hit season for Mickey, we see his worth next year more accurately

Delete
  9. Pathetic Derbyshire, I knew we'd lose but that was embarrassing. An absolute whimper of a performance with bat and ball and a whole week to prepare for this, simply not good enough. We're still too weak to even consider winning a trophy, annoyed tonight and I'm not saying well done for reaching the quarters, we should have at least been competitive in this game

ReplyDelete
  10. I put it down to me. Everytime I get a group of lads together to go and watch a Derbyshire game on TV, this happens...
    Last time was finals day a couple of years ago, and last night out to Neston. Promise will not do again!
    Dave
    Wirral

ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!