Sunday 3 July 2022

Derbyshire v Durham T20

Durham 193-5 (Robinson 43, Jones 42, McKiernan 3-29)

Derbyshire 194-5 (Madsen 100*, Cartwright 38, Masood 31)

Derbyshire won by 5 wickets

Magnificent Madsen mauls Durham.

That's essentially it, as a superb 47-ball century from living legend Wayne Madsen saw Derbyshire boss a tricky run chase from start to finish, winning with five balls to spare.

We missed Hayden Kerr today and those Powerplay /death overs that are so important. Ben Aitchison, like Sam Conners, hasn't the experience in this format to bowl his overs for under eight, but he came back well after his first went for plenty. The two spinners both bowled excellent spells, McKiernan especially impressive and although the total was 15-20 more than we would have hoped for, I felt it was within range.

So it transpired, a new highest successful chase being set with classy, intelligent, purposeful batting. Despite the early loss of Reece, Madsen and Masood breezed along at ten an over before the latter was dismissed. He never looked completely at home today and there were a few false shots, but it didn't really matter..

Nor did the early dismissal of Du Plooy to a fine catch at gulley, because Cartwright came in looking like a latter-day Adrian Kuiper and was soon hitting his stride, two straight sixes booming over the sightscreen. 

He went before the end, as did Guest, but today none of it mattered, because Madsen was simply sensational. 

Sixes over the keeper, ramps, uppercuts, slog and reverse sweeps.. it was simply a masterclass and an absolute joy to watch. 

On the basis of this season Wayne is good for another three or four years. I hope the club issues a highlights video to watch time and again. 

Breathtaking stuff. Whoever we get in the quarter finals will be wondering where you bowl to a man in that form. Yet the thing about this year's vintage is that there are runs all the way down. When Guest went, the reassuring sight of Hughes was walking out, while players who can reach and clear the ropes were awaiting their turn. 

We will find out later who we play in the coming week. For now, celebrate Wayne's first 20-over century and a record ninth win of the Blast.

What a player, what a team. 

What a win. What a summer. 

21 comments:

1. Chesterfield blue3 July 2022 at 18:42

Our most important player is Wayne, I've said it many a time, just sheer class. I'm dreading the day he retires, he's just irreplaceable the finest Derbyshire batsman I've ever seen. This was another fine victory timed to perfection even though our pace bowling wasn't at all good today, that is something we have to work on. Who would you want to avoid in the quarters Peakfan, Surrey the obvious team I guess?

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think avoiding Essex and Surrey is the easier route to Finals Day. But last time we went to Bristol and won. Somerset and Hants are good sides too, they all are at this stage, but I would be easier were we to face one of them

Delete
    2. We can only play Somerset or Essex. Home or away to be decided tonight. Sky saying we have forfeited home advantage if we finish 2nd.

Delete
    3. It's difficult to compare cricketers from different eras,of the modern era Madsen is the best,overseas players apart the best English batsmen IMO is K Barnett J Morris and C Adams it shouldn't be forgotten that they scored their runs on much more bowler friendly pitches and at a time when virtually every county had a world class fast bowler playing for them,John Morris on his day which there wasn't enough was on a different level scampering for quick singles was never John's Forte, as a stroke maker he was the best I have seen for Derbyshire

Delete
    4. Yeah Simon, I know, but I would deem Essex and Surrey the two strongest. Wek now we can beat them all in our group!

Delete
  2. Yes, what a season Madsen is having! Having racked up 176 against Sussex on Monday, he now smashes a hundred in the T20 in 47 balls, following his four previous T20 scores: 70, 6, 73, and 55. Masood and Cartwright provided him with good support, and we always looked like winning. Our bowling should have been tighter at the start of the innings, but we kept Durham under 200, with McKiernan once again picking up valuable wickets and Watt putting in another economical spell. Big George might be expensive at times, but he nearly always takes a wicket. So far, he's picked up 21.

There's a confidence about this team. All too often in the T20 last season we ran out of steam or subsided.

It was wonderful to see the joy on the faces of MA, the coaches and the players in the dug-out when Madsen hit the winning run and we completed a record ninth victory in the group stage.

Masood's absence will put pressure on the top order in the quarter final. Reece has been out of form in the T20, so he's surely due for a big score. MA obviously thinks Cartwright can provide some firepower at the top, and we know from his 98 for the Sydney Sixers that Kerr can be explosive. So there's lots of reasons to believe that we can win, even without Masood.

ReplyDelete
  3. Tim, Chesterfield3 July 2022 at 19:24

Sensational from WM today. No superlative too strong for the man. MM excellent with the ball.

It might well be academic of course but it undoubtedly has had some of the shine taken off by having to learn from Sky via Corky that we can't play a home QF at Chesterfield and will toss away home advantage.

ReplyDelete
  4. Peakfan. "We know we can beat them all in our group." Except Notts 😡

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah.. But they aren't in the quarter finals... 😉

Delete
  5. I sincerely hope we haven’t forfeited a home game …. If we finish 2nd

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I get the frustration there. But the money from Buble will finance one, maybe two new players for next year. And I think they will be more wary another year, when hopefully fixtures are out much earlier. I think they had to rearrange Buble and this years success will have stunned and surprised a lot of people

Delete
    2. Well if we have forfeited, why not Chesterfield or at a push (fingers crossed behind back) TB or Grace Road? It may not be a home tie as I type, all depends on Lancs so may be academic yet the underlying point remains: isn’t it a bit of a slap in the face for ST holders (regardless of the Bubke revenue) and/or shows lack of ambition in booking the concert that particular week/weekend?

Delete
    3. Yes, but Buble was arranged way before the fixtures. The ECB of course will say they can't arrange fixtures around concerts as well as other things. But few would say they made other than a total mess of fixtures this year, especially given the delay in them coming out

Delete
  6. The fixtures were announced later, to be fair to the club. Kris

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's right Kris. There was always the chance this could be an issue once the fixtures were finally released, but based on last year's performances it was a small one.

Delete
  7. Buble dates were rearranged April 2021, T20 fixtures moved earlier to accomodate the 100, so any finger pointing should be directed to the ECB not DCCC in my humble opinion. Paul from Buxton

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree Paul. I blame no one at the club. When the fixtures aren't released until a couple of months before the season, and they made SUCH a mess of iit, you can't..

Delete
  8. Surely it would be better to play at Leicester or similar than give Essex true home advantage? Providing Bears win obviously.

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Take your point, but there would be logistical issues in ground hire, pitch availability, policing and travel in a short space of time. I am sure the club considered all options and will doubtless comment tomorrow, but but not much we can do

Delete
    2. All academic as Lancashire win :) enjoy the last bit of your weekend Steve!

Delete
  9. I think I'd rather play away, than at Trent Bridge. Kris

ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!