Friday 8 July 2022

Somerset v Derbyshire preview

It's here.

After three quarter-finals we have two sides from the northern section, the Roses counties, through to Finals Day, while Hampshire disposed of a Birmingham side that had too great a disparity between their best and their worst.

It is Derbyshire's turn tomorrow (not Derby, thank you Sky TV) and I don't expect to see any changes to the tried and trusted formula for the season.

For me, it will either be Brooke Guest or Hayden Kerr who open and I think the former is a man to keep the run rate going with his running between the wickets, as well as his clean stroke play, leaving the two Australians for later innings power

Other than that it is whether Sam Conners or Ben Aitchison get the nod as the seam bowler for the eleven. Quite frankly I can't call that one and there's always a chance that Harry Came could play in place of either. That would still leave seven/eight bowling options, but my hunch on the Derbyshire side is:

Guest, Reece, Madsen, du Plooy, Cartwright, Kerr, Hughes, McKiernan, Watt, Scrimshaw, Conners /Aitchison

Dal, Thomson and Came complete the squad.

Somerset have named an unchanged squad of 14: Tom Abell (c), Tom Banton, George Bartlett, Jack Brooks, Josh Davey, Lewis Goldsworthy, Ben Green, Lewis Gregory, Tom Lammonby, Craig Overton, Rilee Rossouw, Peter Siddle, Will Smeed and Roelof van der Merwe.

It will be a tough game in front of a capacity, partisan crowd. The short boundaries should make for a run-fest and Somerset have some really fine cricketers.

Then again, so do we and it depends on which side holds their nerve on the big occasion. Regardless of the result, this Derbyshire side has exceeded the expectations of most people.

But I think there is enough quality in our eleven to take us to Finals Day.

What about you?

Go well, Mickey Arthur's Derbyshire Falcons. 

6 comments:

  1. Should we get the choice, it will be interesting to see if we elect to bat or bowl. We have won more batting second, but then we have batted second more often! Having watched each game we have looked more comfortable chasing anything under 190 so I think I would bat second given the chance

    ReplyDelete
  2. With the short boundaries I wouldn't play either Sam or Ben. Too many 4 balls from both of them. I would definitely play Anuj. His batting/bowling would not weaken the team and his fielding will be a definite plus. Whatever the team go well lads. We are all rooting for you 👍👍

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chesterfield blue8 July 2022 at 22:19

    Unfortunately I think this will be a step too far for us, but I hope we make a game of it. I have Somerset to win the tournament, they're a fine unit with bat and ball. Really hoping Cartwright can be a big player for us just wish he'd had a few more matches before this quarter. Come on lads let's have a good go

    ReplyDelete
  4. I favour Guest to open, Steve, but I was wondering if Came might be given this role. He hasn't played T20 since the game against Notts (the fifth game), and he hadn't done very well up to that point. However, he's a player who seems to have a natural propensity for going big, but he's young and inexperienced. So if the coaches have been helping him with his batting, then maybe he might be given the job. MA might have spotted something in him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would like to see Dal in the starting 11. If Reece is able to bow' Dal and Reece could do the bowling load that Conners /Aitchison have done. Our batting would be stronger and I don't think it would weaken the bowling significantly. But what ever MA goes with I will get behind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tim, Chesterfield9 July 2022 at 14:53

    Naturally I'm expecting us to lose, but I do think we can perform well enough to cause them problems. I think for us win, it needs them to be below par and us close to our best but it could happen. I think I'd play Harry Came.

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!