Friday 26 June 2015

Derbyshire v Nottinghamshire T20

Derbyshire 201-7 (C Hughes 52, Rutherford 37)
Nottinghamshire 167 all out (Wessels 66, Rimmington 3-24)

Derbyshire won by 34 runs

What a fantastic response by the Derbyshire players tonight!

My arguments over the talent in the side were thoroughly vindicated tonight as we comfortably beat our 'big' yet perennially under-achieving local rivals by 34 runs.

It was a team performance, par excellence. Almost everyone got a few runs, led off by Hamish Rutherford, who gave the Powerplay overs the impetus we required. Then came Chesney, with five fours and three sixes in his 52, before Alex Hughes, Tom Knight and Tom Poynton showed common sense and power in the closing overs to steer us to a highest-ever T20 total of 201-7.

It gave us every chance of a memorable win, yet the visitors were going like a train before Wes Durston removed both Michael Lumb and the dangerous Rikki Wessels. Still, with a depth in batting, the game was far from won, but a key spell was bowled by Alex Hughes. He followed his useful innings with a spell of four overs for only 22 runs, priceless in such a high-scoring game.

With Nathan Rimmington bowling tight closing overs that he is famed for, finishing with 3-24, Derbyshire won when Mullaney was held by Wayne Madsen in the deep from the bowling of Wayne White.

It was an excellent effort, a team effort, with the entire eleven playing a part and showing that the talent is most definitely there. Shiv Thakor again bowled an excellent spell and got rid of middle order danger men Patel and Taylor, while the fielding held up well.

Seeing a performance like that proves the talent is there and, if we can just find a way of tapping into that conviction and commitment more often, we can win more matches.

Now, let's see everyone who is quickly on here to criticise be equally effusive with praise tonight, because it is fully deserved.

There will be more from me tomorrow night, but tomorrow is a working day and I must head to bed shortly.

The pride is back, now let's keep it there and get on a roll.

Well done. lads.

8 comments:

1. I don't think to date I've been heavy on criticism, so to give balance and not to declare the Second Coming would be fair enough !

I will say that tonight was an excellent display , under blue skies by the end , coupled with perhaps the best atmosphere outside an Aussie baiting Test Match .

Everyone stood tall tonight . The bar has been set . Well done !

ReplyDelete
  2. Great performance by the lads. It's always good beating the neighbours but even sweeter when it doesn't happen too often. Let's all hope this is a springboard for things to follow.

By the way Peakfan you should start predicting more defeats for us as every time you predict one we seem to win.

H

ReplyDelete
  3. This has to be the start of something Peakfan. Let's follow it up with a victory against Birmingham now, and there's no reason why we can't. My only change to the side would be someone replacing Elstone, who is bringing nothing to the table. Who though, I've no idea.

ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent performance tonight. Aggressive from the off. Rutherford started it first inning with a huge six from Gurney and that as a statement of intent.

Big contributions from Rutherford, Hughes was brilliant, and I particularly thought Tom Knight did a good job.

However the biggest thing for me was the fielding tonight. On a tricky pitch our fielding didn't cost us a run all match from memory whilst it probably cost Notts ten to 15 runs. It wasn't easy out there but we did a great job.

White will be disappointed with his bowling, very costly with too many easy hits given up but the others were superb. Not the norm for the season but a thoroughly enjoyable night to get our first home win over Notts in 20/20 cricket.
    Roger

ReplyDelete
  5. NB Had to post that one from Roger myself as an errant finger on my phone had deleted it - sorry mate!

ReplyDelete
  6. Happily predict a loss every game mate if it meant we won...based on common sense but we played well

ReplyDelete
  7. Credit where it,s due,there was much more to be pleased about and the result of a good team effort. Whether this represents the start of a sustained improvement (in all formats) will be decided over the coming weeks. It,s nice to talk about something positive happening for a change and we were worthy winners yesterday,no doubt about it,but i,m still gong to tread a cautious path for the time being.

Following the fallout from the Surrey debacle,Welch would have been looking for a response from his players and he got one. We have another opportunity next Friday and we then need to restore some belief into the four day team. I genuinely hope the Surrey game proves to be a watershed and the remainder of the season can show a sustained improvement but there is still much to be done to convince the doubters.

ReplyDelete
  8. According to Mark, Elstone brought nothing to the table.Two vital catches , several athletic stops in the deep and 11 runs ,crucially off 6 balls to ensure the momentum of the innings continued.A great team performance on a night to remember.This fighting spirit now needs to be shown in the longer formats of the game on a regular basis.

ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!