Saturday 18 June 2011

Steff's dilemma

The Derby Telegraph yesterday carried an article referring to the big dilemma facing Steffan Jones.

Derbyshire have put a three-year contract on the table for him, allowing him to play as long as he is able and remain an assistant coach. Meanwhile, Wellington School in Somerset have offered him a role as head of cricket, fitness and conditioning, as well as being an ambassador for the school, a role he would doubtless do well.

Steff will make a decision within the week and it is doubtless a tough one. To be honest, much as he is a vital part of our setup, if I were him I would take the school role. Take a look at the video on the link below and ask yourself - would you turn it down?

http://www.wellington-school.org.uk/

A three-year deal is a fair one and I think Jones could make a very good coach. Yet with the school convenient for family and, one assumes a place for his daughter there at the right time, it is a gilt-edged opportunity for him for as long as he wanted. He is eminently qualified for the role and would be perfect in it.

A no-brainer for me. I'd have to accept it and if Steffan does so I hope everyone wishes a fine man and loyal servant the best and there are no silly accusations of disloyalty.

He fully deserves the opportunity and whatever his decision, I wish him well.

3 comments:

  1. I was very disappointed when Steffan walked out on us before but no one could blame him this time. He has always given his all for us and I wish him well whatever his decision.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes,if he leaves then i wish him well. It,s one of the few occasions a player walking out would go with the blessing of the majority.

    In spite of my criticism of him in the last couple of games i still think he has something to offer on the playing side and if he stays,all well and good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I was him I would take the school job, which ought to be a good job for life. County coaching positions on the other hand are always subject to change of chairman, head coach or the likelihood of being scapegoat for poor performances. In Stefans case he also becomes a lot less attractive as coach only than player coach, in harsh financial times.

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!