Friday 3 June 2011

Nottinghamshire v Derbyshire T20

Well beaten tonight by an understrength Nottinghamshire side who put a decent score on the board and then bowled tight lines, varied lengths and mixed up the pace to defend it.

We scored more last night and before Martin Guptill was dismissed were in it at 49 from 5.3 overs, but wickets fell steadily and we simply couldn't score at the rate required. There was a good cameo from Garry Park and an encouraging debut from Tom Knight. We competed, but tonight weren't good enough.

There's no shame in it - our neighbours have a fine batting side - but we could do with a win on the board next weekend. We have a week to regroup now and to realise that there's not too much wrong. The only differences from last night were that no one played the required big innings and we played a much better side.

That's all I can say.

9 comments:

1. Nice to see young Tom Knight involved. Without wishing to sound boring I think his signing was another John Morris masterstroke.

ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to see Guptill hitting a few fours. I feel very sorry for him to be honest. He has come over hear as a young player wanting to give his all for the county and after he has played just one game for us our Chairman is spouting off about wanting to sign a 'proven top international' next season.

ReplyDelete
  3. Yes we competed but I don't believe we will progress to the quarter finals without a second overseas player. Why didn't we have a back up plan for a replacement? If Guptill breaks a finger for example would we just continue without any overseas player?

Natwest 81

ReplyDelete
  4. I have said on this website before that we are a strike bowler short of a decent 20/20 side. We should have got one when Khwaja went back to Australia. If we don't take early wickets other teams get massive scores and we can't keep getting nearly 200 to win.

ReplyDelete
  5. All this John Morris this and John Morris that is beginning to get on my wick. Face up to it, he isn't coming back, period. So get over it guys - and get on with supporting an improving side,not perfect yet, but improving.

And by the way all these cheap shots that are being taken against the new chairman, Chris Grant, are totally deplorable. All that I have heard about him from other supporters that I have spoken to is greatly encouraging. Those who have actually spoken to him say what an approachable, sensible and genuine guy he seems to be. I guess that we shall know more about his ideas after the committee meeting next week, so give the bloke a chance. I am sure that he wants success for DCCC just like we all do, and I wish him well.

ReplyDelete
  6. Totally agree Alan. Well put!

ReplyDelete
  7. Tonight was one of the few games that didn't clash with work commitments and close enough for me to get to. It brought back my comment a few nights ago - do we have the batting to chase 200?

The answer's yes but not every game, and I'm afraid that's what our T20 is going to look like. A dodgy stumping tonight didn't help us but our bowling was staggeringly naive at times. Notts bowlers were intrinsically no better than ours and a lot less experienced, but knew where to put the ball - full and straight - and had some subtlety and variety. Ours were too often in default mode - bang it in short and wide and hope for a wild slash.

This, for me, is the biggest indictment of John Morris' time. Our bowling has simply withered on the vine, dependent on varying quality of imports with no development or progress for our home grown talent. It's not surprising when we have had no bowling coach for two years, then bring in someone who can't do a lot of coaching when he's playing all of the time.

Let's face it, Derbyshire does not need a new head of cricket. Seven years of Morris / Houghton hasn't taken us very far, and in all honesty, it hasn't worked in a lot of other teams either. It's a great comfort blanket to have one man to blame or praise but has little else to commend it.

I hope that Chris Grant's idea is a team approach, in which several individuals combine their particular talents. This ensures continuity as people move on or change roles. Which brings me to my suggestion for a landmark signing - someone who knows the club inside out, lives locally, is doing a great job of supporting young talent at his present club, can still conjure occasional miracles as a player and captain, has never made any secret of his wish to finish his career with us, knows and gets on well with Krikken and Sutton, brings a high profile, and whose signing won't prevent us having a good overseas batsman.

I'm talking about Dominic Cork, obviously. A leadership team comprising him as the inspiration, mentor and on-field coach, Sutton as the planner and tactician, and Krikken as the co-ordinator, talent-spotter and technical coach. I think this will work.

Cork sounds as though he could be up for it as long as he doesn't want sole command and control. Earlier in the year, he tweeted "I always have a soft spot for Derbyshire. One day I would love to turn them into the Sussex of the north. Winners!!!!"

I know there is history that gets in the way, but perhaps a new chairman who isn't shackled by it and doesn't have the fragile egos of some of his committee that helped to drive Cork away could be the one to make it work.

At the very least, it's more likely to work, and cheaper, than bringing in an old overseas warhorse in the hope that they will do what Eddie Barlow did, but won't leave a structure behind that will bring long-term stability and progress.

ReplyDelete
  8. Peakfan, are IP Addresses logged on these comments? After the poll on here a few weeks back that overwhelmingly backed Grant's decisions, I can't believe all these recent comments from 'Anon' that have appeared are from differenet people.

Keep up the Blog! I've been reading for years from various places around the world. Been great to read your informed opinions on Derbyshire Cricket!

ReplyDelete
  9. No mate, thanks for the kind comments! They're from the same bloke. I'm humouring him for the time being...

ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!