Friday 4 September 2020

Lancashire v Derbyshire T20

Derbyshire 98-7 (Hughes 32, McKiernan 24*)

Lancashire 102-2

Lancashire won by eight wickets. 

While I think it was a good toss to win and the wicket wasn't especially easy to bat on, Derbyshire were poor at Aigburth this afternoon.

The skipper gave it away with an ungainly heave, Luis Reece ran himself out, Wayne Madsen tickled one down the leg side and Leus Du Plooy popped one up in the air with unseemly haste. Maybe Sunday's big game was on their minds, but our much vaunted top four had been blown away, well inside the Powerplay.

Alex Hughes batted well for a while and there were late runs from Mattie McKiernan, but 98-7 reflects a poor collective batting effort. 

It is always easier on an uncertain wicket to bat second and know what you are chasing. While the home side had to take their time and didn't win until the 18th over, the game was gone at the halfway stage - for that matter at the end of that first Powerplay. 

McKiernan followed his handy innings with a tidy spell of four overs for just thirteen. As things stand, I would be surprised if he wasn't in the side on Sunday. 

The only consolation is that the wicket does not look as if it will be a run feast for that game and a positive result is likely.

We will need to up our game considerably to be on the right side of it, however. 

5 comments:

1. Tim, Chesterfield4 September 2020 at 18:53

I don't usually feel the need to be overly critical of team performance or attitude as generally it's clear even when Derbyshire lose we do so with a plan and with the appropriate intent and attitude.

Today though that was not the case. From ball one we were lazy, cloudy of thought and poor in execution.

The danger is that we've been so dreadfully poor in 2 of the 3 T20 losses that it could sap confidence for the four day game.

Very disappointed indeed.

ReplyDelete
  2. As poor a batting performance as I can remember to be honest. 130 and a couple of early wickets and we would have been in the game. However, no one with the exception of Yozzer looked like they’dare take a chance. God knows what Critchley was thinking. You just can’t bat like that in T20. Beggars belief to be honest. Poor wicket yes but no real intent to push on. Corks got little to juggle with but now is the time to give Wood a run in this side. We have little to lose at this point. Let’s hope we can make a better fist of it in the remaining games
    Chad Jim

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I am a bit baffled by Wood's omission, Jim.

The T20 is done for us now. I thought he did OK in his only innings at Leeds before a soft dismissal. Surely he should get a run now to see if he can hack this level or not, before another year goes by?

Delete
  3. Odd. Like the poster above, we seemed feeble of mind. A lancs player on commentary said twice, they need to be 'fearless' and keep going hard as 80-90 is pointless. What on earth were we doing. Critch? Yozza never got it away for more than one. Dismissals were soft rather than a result of boundary catches and taking on the arm. Ultra conservative approach to batting that served no purpose. It was not a good wicket but 130 a challenge. Mindset looked muddled.

ReplyDelete

4. The batting today was so much like the batting against Yorkshire. It's T20 so singles alone are not good enough. You have to find the boundary. When you compare the stats for 4s and 6s in 2019 and in the current T20, they are revealing. Last season in 14 games we scored 179 4s and 59 6s. In the three games we've played this season we've only managed 18 4s and 8 6s. I can't do the maths, but it's clear our boundary average this season is much lower.

ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!