Tuesday 1 September 2020

Horizons need adjusting for T20

Like many of you, after last year's performances in the Vitality Blast I was enthused by prospects for 2020.

We had signed Sean Abbott, a proven bowler in the format, as well as Ben McDermott, a boundary-bashing wicket keeper for Australia in T20. Add them to an already strong squad and optimism was high.

Then came Covid 19. While it ruled out overseas input for many counties, I felt that the two we had engaged covered our greatest need in an otherwise already strong group. Neither has been able to travel and we have had to manage with a small squad.

Small and reducing by the game. Ravi Rampaul has been unable to leave Trinidad and looks to have played his last game for us. Tony Palladino was granted time off for personal issues, though he rarely played T20 anyway. Ben Aitchison went over on his ankle and is out for the season, Fynn Hudson-Prentice has a thigh injury that needs careful management and now Wayne Madsen looks to have done his achilles tendon.

We are getting close to the 'you are fit, you can play' model of team selection. Our first three bowlers last night, Messrs McKiernan, Conners and Barnes, had four previous T20 matches between them at first-class level. The only fully fit players outside the eleven, Guest, Cohen, Wood and Melton, barely make double figures between them.

Of course you can win some matches with inexperience, as we have shown superbly in the Bob Willis Trophy, but sustained levels of performance generally require greater experience. There is no short cut to this, so supporters must expect some difficulties in the remainder of the Blast. 

I may be wrong and would be delighted to be proved so, but Dominic Cork will earn his money this year and I have mentally written it off as one where that crucial experience is gained. 

We can't just take people on loan either, because finances are already tight and we are better to use the time to assess what we already have, in my opinion. 

I watched the articulate Liam Rosenior at the weekend, discussing how being hammered 3-0 at Nottingham Forest last season in the Carabao Cup was a major factor in the development of the group of young talent at Derby County. It allowed them to see the pressures and challenges of playing at this level, even if it hurt at the time. Short term pain, long term gain and if they are good enough they will come through it, perhaps the better, on the other side. 

Wayne Madsen's injury should allow Tom Wood a run in the side, to show if the run machine at all lower levels can translate at county standard. I hope it does, because he looks to have the talent and such matches will allow him to go for his shots without an array of slips awaiting error.

As for the bowlers, there are contracts to be earned and reputations made. I thought Ed Barnes bowled well last night, especially in closing the innings. I am not yet sure if he has that in him on a regular basis and a few games will hopefully clarify that. The same goes for Matty McKiernan, who has bowled steadily in two matches and fielded brilliantly. Is he worth another deal? We might know by the end of the season.

Then there's Michael Cohen. We know already that he has wicket-taking deliveries in his locker, but can he bowl the lines and lengths to keep the score down? The same goes for Sam Conners and both will know that 1-26 in this format is as good as 4-87 in the four-day game.  Games ebb and flow by the ball and you can quickly go from a hero with a first ball wicket, to villain by leaking 16 runs afterwards.

As supporters we must all show the requisite patience. These lads are living out our dreams in front of an audience in the thousands. Very few can deliver under that pressure  and there will be times when it goes horribly wrong. 

But it is not for the want of trying, and sometimes you have to accept that someone else was better than you on the day. 

While some may fall by the wayside, I have a feeling that we may unearth a nugget or two of gold before this weird old summer is out. 

Keep the faith. Last year we made finals day in T20, this year we are a match away from a Lord's final in the four-day game. 

There are plenty who have gone decades between such experiences, not winters.

I'm one of them. 

5 comments:

1. I think you are spot on PF. At times expectations can be a real millstone and maybe we thought that after last year's heroics it would be easy. I think Ravi is the man who is missed the most. Go back to last BH Monday and he was outstanding against Lancashire in Manchester. Last night the bowlers did a good job but with a bit more guile the target could have been limited by 10 runs or so. There were fewer loose deliveries than on Sunday but Ravi is very consistent in T20 and is the sort of player who can restrict and frustrate.
    The other factor is that all games are being played away from home - can't be easy in terms of pitch preparation.
    Just have to hope that Madsen's season isn't over - without the injury I suspect we'd have won. A good effort by Critchley though who looked to have taken them close to victory.

ReplyDelete
  2. The cricketing gods rarely smile on Derbyshire

ReplyDelete
  3. Have to disagree Lion, I thought our bowling on the whole was poor, nobody looked threatening in taking wickets and it was only late in the Lancs innings when they were having a real go that Barnes broke through. Not convinced by Mckiernan, he looks easy to score from, there's a good bowler to come in Conners needs more matches though, Barnes the pick of the bowlers for me though. I'm not having a go at the lads, just thought we were disappointing as a bowling unit.

ReplyDelete
  4. The only thing we are lacking is experience .
    We have a largley inxperienced bowling attack.
    T20 demands a quite specific set of skills which only come from hard work and time. You can’t get a lad with no game time to perform like Ravi with 200 games under his belt unless they are an amazing talent and there aren’t many out there. This must be seen as a development year. We have played 2 teams with international players and or layers with far more experience than we have. Let’s not get too dispondent. We nearly beat Lancashire for Gods sake with a bowling attack filled with lads still trying to find their way at this level. I thought it was a creditable effort

ReplyDelete
  5. Over the last few years Derbyshire IMO have had an obsession with bits and pieces players they have two very good all rounders in Reece and Criitchley

ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!