Tuesday 12 July 2011

Rumours, schmumours...

I've had e-mails in recent days suggesting that Paul Collingwood, Jacques Kallis, Mike Hussey and Ricky Ponting were coming to Derbyshire as our capo di tutti capi next season. Thanks to all concerned, but since three suggested that the chairman had told them the name it suggests that Chris Grant is throwing a smokescreen around or that there are some people out there are trying to make summat out of nowt, to use the local vernacular.

We'll hear who the new man is going to be in due course and conjecture will be rife for much of that time. As for me, I'll bide my time. I see merits and negatives in all the above names, some being more realistic than others, but there's no point in writing screeds of stuff about hypotheticals when I can keep my powder dry for when we actually KNOW.

I'm more curious about other areas at this stage. With Steffan Jones leaving, we will have a vacancy for a bowling coach (presumably) and I just wondered whether this might be a change of remit for Andy 'AJ' Harris? I'm unaware of his coaching credentials but wouldn't have thought he'd be doing so well with the Seconds without them, so for me he would be a logical appointment.

Who would take over the Seconds? I gave a little thought to this on the beach over the last fortnight and again, subject to his having the requisite qualifications, I would see Garry Park as a good man in that role, for a variety of reasons.

For one, I'm not sure how having Park as a bit-part player in one day games fits with the new blueprint, and with his contract ending, I'm not sure if a player of his age (29 next year) fits in with it when he's not guaranteed a place. We can hardly pay a senior salary in such conditions, but if Park was in charge of the Seconds as justification for the cost, for me it could be a win-win situation. You retain his services for T20 and other one-day cricket as required, while the youngsters learn fielding techniques from the best fielder we've ever had. As a good, innovative batsman he has a lot to offer and pass on, while his bowling abilities (somewhat underused this year) are perhaps underrated. I would be very happy to see Park in such a role and it makes a lot of sense.

As always, I'd welcome your comments of course...

5 comments:

  1. Peakfan, this is Derbyshire CCC!We'll beleive the signing when we see him trotting out for us next April. Talk is cheap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cynicism? Among Derbyshire fans? Surely not...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Speaking of rumours, looks like Collingwood is the target:

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/14124204.stm

    ReplyDelete
  4. park not bowling.reason tear in muscle playing with injections. england qualified and under used in my opinon. berwbeard

    ReplyDelete
  5. i like gary Park - an excellent fielder part from 2 catches i saw him drop at leek - but like your proposed role for the seconds - good responsibility for him and hed be in my top 5 names for every 20/20 game - can he keep wicket - cant do any worse than LS?

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!