Sunday 20 June 2021

Yorkshire v Derbyshire T20

Yorkshire 174-6 (Root 49, Brook 48, Scrimshaw 3-30)

Derbyshire 135 (Hudson-Prentice 34, Thomson 28, Bess 3-21, Ferguson 3-21)

Yorkshire won by 39 runs

Derbyshire subsided to a very disappointing defeat at Emerald Headingley this afternoon. 

Four sixes in the last nine balls of the innings took Yorkshire to a score that was higher than for a long time looked likely. Root and Brook both batted well, but the Derbyshire bowlers largely stuck well to their task. They varied their pace, clever slower balls working well and there was again much to enjoy in George Scrimshaw's spell.

I was again impressed by Brooke Guest who was vocal and involved throughout with good handling, as well as making good stops from some poor legside wides.

Yet the Derbyshire reply started badly, Reece was caught off Joe Root after only three came from the first ten balls. The score had only reached 14 by the end of the fourth and, with the rate required already ten an over, the game was gone.

While 15 came from the fifth, the knowledge that Lockie Ferguson had four to bowl left me with little expectation of a charge. Those expectations were not to be surpassed.

Godleman's painful 11 from fifteen balls convinced no one and the coach's insistence on picking a man patently out of form, as well as unsuited to the format, is bordering on the ridiculous now. There isn't a player in the country should survive a run of 35 runs from seven innings, but it doesn't really matter now, as the tournament has gone. So too the credibility of the coach, at least for me. 

We needed eleven an over on his dismissal and the innings subsided with nary a whimper, bar for some lusty blows by Hudson-Prentice and Thomson, who took the score closer than the game really was. 

Derbyshire have batted decently in most games this summer, but this was fairly painful viewing today. 

14 comments:

1. Ridiculous is one way to put it. Farcical is another. Our lack of depth and lack of big signings can be blamed on the relative lack of resources at the club. Not so the team selection, or the poor communications from the club. Why should the ECB continue to fund Derbyshire? Increasingly I struggle to answer that question.

ReplyDelete
  2. Not even competitive today especially with the bat. Why is Godleman coming in at three all the time, he ends up getting bogged down and the scoring freezes, is there nobody in the 2nd eleven we can call upon even a raw 18-20 year old, because honestly they could not ro any worse. It's embarrassing this from Billy and even he must now be dreading coming out to bat in this format. Poor performance today full stop

ReplyDelete
  3. Dreadful display with the bat. A slow start and then no one was really able to get hold of the game by the scruff of the neck. By the time Thomson came in and knocked 28 off ten balls it was too late. What is Corky's thinking with regard to Billy? I would love to know. Once again, he looked uncomfortable and uncertain from the word go and once again he was out cheaply. Yes, we have a few injuries, but there must be someone else we can bring in. Wood is injured, I think. But I haven't heard that Hosein is. And McKiernan has done reasonably well with the bat for the seconds in the T20.

ReplyDelete
  4. Guys,

I do think we have to put a little context in here.

Far better showing than last year. Yorkshire loose Malan Willey, Bairstow etc and bring in the England test captain and a NZ shoe in (whose reputation we helped to make) we are absolutely decimated and can only bring in a young lad who Hampshire didn't think much of.

Quite right we are in a mini league of 3. Cream will always rise to the top.

The continued selection of the Captain is odd but won't change much

When the beloved County ground becomes a housing estate I would look no further than the ECB for the culprits

In my eyes we continue to firmly punch above our weight

Up the Shire

Rob in Essex

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But we cannot be content with a mini league of three, Rob.

I think this year we are merely living up to the low expectations of plenty around the country.

For a coach to say to the skipper that 35 runs in 7 knocks is OK isn't saying much to others who don't get that opportunity.

Surely Hosein or McKiernan would offer more? Besides wondering what they have to do to get a game, you cannot have anyone in the side who is undroppable.

It's not healthy for morale

Delete
    2. I can live with losing. What I can't get along with is paying the wages of players who are not considered for the first team, even when they do well for the seconds, we have a massive injury list, and have several players struggling. Likewise, the club keeping us in the dark about injured players (which thankfully is no longer the case). DCFC have been a shambles this year, but at least they update us on injuries. Maybe I'm being harsh - but the club aren't filling me with confidence right now.

Delete
    3. I think players need to be under contract to play for the first team, most of the seconds are not under contract. According to the club website we have 22 players listed as first team players , 9 are out injured so you have 13 to pick from, and none of the spare players are batsmen, so the team basically picks itself to a large extent. The club did not help themselves by keeping people in the dark about injuries, but other than that ,the situation we are in is mostly down to the extensive injury list and not being able to carry lots of spare players who would not get a game, if everyone was fit. Any side with 9 injuries is going to struggle.

Delete
  5. Very disappointing batting performance after reasonable bowling save for a few loose ball. Unfortunately if Reece, du plooy, or critch have not put us in a winning position, the remaining players are unable to pick up the pace with 10 overs of sustained hitting to carry us through to a win. Hp, Thompson & guest all capable of a quick 20, but not to drag us up from early loss of wicket. As we have been saying for the last few matches, we need some younger 2nd XI player blooding instead of Billy, if we are not careful he will be shellshocked for the 50over and remaining c/c. Look how scrimshaw has come on since his first T20 game when we all thought he struggled, may be a young batsman could do the same.

ReplyDelete
  6. I really have a sense of apathy and disillusionment re Derbyshire ccc at present, if only we had a player who excites either batting or bowling it would make it a far better watch. That's usually where the overseas player comes in to it, but that was put to bed with McDermott joining the Aussies squad. Be surprised if we win another T20 game this season, shocking all round

ReplyDelete
  7. Back in 1996 we recruited a world class batsman and captain to.lead our team and we had stunning success. The late Dean Jones was that man and he transformed our team from also-rans to winners. Thst's what we need now. I hope the committee will realise this and in the winter offer terms to someone of proven ability to get us out of the hole we're in now.

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree, we really need a top quality overseas player to lead this team. Throw the budget at him, never replaced Martin Guptil,what a player he was.

Delete
  8. Derbyshire need to show much greater ambition to become truly competitive and to get much better results with more consistency in future. I don't suggest it's easy, but it's the only mindset to have. Otherwise, our better players will go elsewhere anyway. Continuation of the current long-term malaise will inevitably have a very unhappy ending. Other organisations with limited resources punch above their weight and so can we - if the club's management is up to it.

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really think the time is right to get Wood into this team as soon as his back issues are resolved. People have suggested his form is not worthy of a call up. I see his last 3 inning for the 2s have produce 116 runs at a strike rate around 160. That would now appear worthy of opportunity. Especially considering the spasmodic and down right rubbish form of some in the top half of the batting order. A premiership 100 in the middle of those games suggesting he’s seeing it ok. It’s also worth noting that last year he came into the final game with no form at all in T20 due to no second team games. His innings was well structured and not a slog and hope innings, showing a good understanding and fine thought process to the job at hand. Considering all that not to include him up till now beggars belief. I’m sure most would agree a run if 4 or 5 games would be a good chance to see what he can do over a sustained period. Also some good experience leading into the 50 over format which I assume he will also be involved in . With the chance of qualification all but gone now is the time to expose Wood and mckeirnan and see what they can do. Otherwise what is the point .

Delete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!