Tuesday 29 June 2021

McKerr returns to Surrey - and thank you!

There was no real surprise, at least for me, in the return of Conor McKerr to Surrey at the end of a brief loan spell of seven matches.

Their hope would always be that he would come to us, get T20 experience and then come back to them as another option. So it transpired. I had been told about it the other day by a friend down south, when he was apparently available for selection. He MIGHT come back, but I am not sure of the point at this stage. 

He did OK for us and was a fit body to play at a time when we were running out of them. I still maintain I would have preferred us to play our own, especially when it was evident that the fates and curious team selection would legislate against our progressing this summer.

Nor do I see him signing for us permanently. He has a year left on his Surrey deal and will be on a salary that is outwith our scales, especially when London weighting is considered. Were he to become available I suspect that he would not lack options, but we really don't want to be signing any more players with South African backgrounds, unless as overseas players for another year. The ones we have are fine, but we don't need to go to excess and become 'Kolpakshire' again, even if we all know that status no longer exists. 

Finally tonight, a sincere thank you to those who have so far donated to or  sponsored the blog. I have been flattered by your interest and a small donation every few months or every year would be very much appreciated from those who visit on a regular or even sporadic basis.

It will never become essential - and I have seen websites and blogs where it is - but it helps to justify the time that I put into it, especially when that time is becoming ever more limited. Knowing that people have paid ensures that I keep creating new content, and there will soon be draws taking place for cricket books, with the names in the hat only those who have donated. 

Just need to find a hat now.. my Derbyshire cap looks like a good option! 

Catch you soon. 


1 comment:

  1. What was the point in bringing in these loan bowlers? Wouldn’t the money have been better spent on a batsman (Came excepted) and giving George Scrimshaw a long term contract

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!