Friday 11 June 2021

Leicestershire v Derbyshire T20

Derbyshire 209-6 (Critchley 80*, Reece 51, Hughes 38)

Leicestershire 186 (Van Beek 3-37, Reece 2-24, Critchley 2-31)

Derbyshire won by 23 runs

Derbyshire got their Vitality Blast campaign up and running with a good and convincing win at Leicester tonight, marred only by an injury to Alex Hughes.

The all rounder, who had an excellent game, went down in pain after bowling the final ball of his spell. It looked like a stomach or inter-costal muscle injury, which could be a serious problem for player and club. We must keep our fingers crossed for him, after the injury to Wayne Madsen in the first match.

He had earlier played an excellent supporting innings to Matt Critchley, adding 85 together in just over seven glorious overs. It was savvy, classy, bullish and magnificent. They built well on another excellent innings from Luis Reece, whose 59 included four sixes and allowed us to recover from a slow start. I thought Luis could have been on for a ton tonight, but got a different result to a reverse sweep than at Old Trafford. 

Critchley's knock was breathtaking in its round the wicket stroke play and timing, his assault on Mike in the final over reminiscent of that on Tim Bresnan at Chesterfield a year or two back. He took Derbyshire past the 200 mark and teams seldom lose from such a position of strength.

Logan Van Beek took a wicket with the first ball of the home reply and later held a terrific catch to dismiss danger man Inglis. His later spell was less convincing, but he did OK tonight. Luis Reece and Matt Critchley followed their batting efforts by bowling well, as did Hughes, to complete good all round matches. 

Credit should also be given to Brooke Guest, who I thought did very well behind the stumps, taking an excellent catch to remove Mike and effectively end the home resistance. Nor did he allow any byes, no mean feat when the bowling was at times wayward. 

Fair play to Leicestershire, who kept going and scored runs down the order, but the final target was just too tough and Derbyshire kept taking wickets with sufficient regularity to peg them back. 

It was a good team performance but I  have to say this. As club captain, Billy Godleman is not contributing with the bat and is laboured in the field. Nor is his captaincy cause for inclusion, and bowling Hughes for four straight overs, the fourth getting hit as they lined him up, was naive. Even more so bowling Cohen only for one over, which went for just six runs.

It may appear churlish after a fine display, but if Billy stays in the team it must be he who picks the side. Cork and Houghton must surely see that the inclusion of Tom Wood, embarrassingly omitted thus far, would enhance a top order that would then be potentially spectacular. 

Keep Billy for the RLODC, where he will likely score heavily as always, but let's go horses for courses, gentlemen. No position in any side should be sacrosanct. Were it me, I would stand down for the good of the club, which would be a selfless act and thoroughly respected. 

I thought Harry Came looked promising, but there is no logic to the omission of Wood, who batted brilliantly at Headingley last year in his last opportunity. He has also scored at a faster rate than Came in the second team. A top five of Came, Reece, Wood, du Plooy and Critchley would be exciting for supporters and enhance chances of posting winning scores. 

If Godleman was to drop down another nine places in the order, the question of captaincy would arise, with Hughes, my choice of his replacement, potentially out. I would go with Luis Reece, a thoughtful, intelligent and skilled cricketer, especially in this format. There is also Critchley, who I think would relish such an opportunity and neither would let us down. 

But let's celebrate tonight, because with two tough games to come against Birmingham (who beat Nottinghamshire tonight) and a return against Lancashire, a defeat would have been disastrous.

As it was, this was a heartening display

Tweak those outstanding issues and we might win a few in this competition. 

7 comments:

1. 16
    Great win tonight. Reece suddenly looks a different batter in this format. The bowling for me is very puzzling . Cohen and Thomson 1 over each. I get it after the latters went for 16 but Cohen went for 1 for 6. I know it’s great to have bowling options but it will bight us in the ass one day when we need another batsman. Yozza is a worry. Not sure but looked bad. If it’s a side strain they can take a lot of time to repair. Same with Madsen, I hear it’s a hamstring issue but not sure how bad. In short we are running out of fit options. Reece limped off but bowled on after getting struck on the ankle. Let’s hope that’s just bruising because if he gets injured we really are in trouble. I’d expect mckeirnan to come in for yozza so to keep the 8 bowling options going. I’d probably bring Wood in for Thomson as we don’t appear to need him. Not even sure if he’s aloud to play against Warwickshire? Think he’s on loan from them? Billy continues to be a concern but probably keeps his place due to the injuries to other players. Now you’ve picked him you have to stick with Came and give him a fair chance.
    My team for Sunday assuming Yozza and Mads not fit.
    Reece
    Came
    Wood
    Deploy
    Critchley
    Godleman
    Mckeirnan
    Hudson prentice
    Vanbeek
    Cohen

ReplyDelete
  2. At last a win and more importantly it also seemed to be a solid performance.

I'm blocking out that little voice telling me "its only Leicester" and moving on to the next one.

ReplyDelete
  3. A solid performance with both bat and ball. Reece, Critchley and Hughes were all terrific and each found the boundary regularly. The bowlers did a good job, as did Guest, and Leicestershire never really looked liked getting away.

Billy does look out of sorts, as he has for most of the season. Yet, overall, his T20 record is good, and in 2019 hit over 450 runs in the competition, including four 50s. So should he play tomorrow? That's a tough one. On the one hand, he could play one of those swashbuckling innings where he knocks up 30 or 40 in no time. Or he could fiddle around at the crease and get out within a few balls.

I'd be inclined to leave him out and bring in Wood. I'd also bring in McKiernan for Thomson, who has been expensive in both games. Came certainly deserves another chance. I can see him playing an explosive innings.

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, people will defend Billy with 2019, but we made finals day and played more matches. Plus people worked him out that year. His top innings were against pace and we saw last night, soon as he came in spinners were on, a slower ball from the seamer had him in all kinds of bother.

He is a fine player, a terrific 50 over player and usually 4 day too. But not a T20 player and we should pick horses for courses, as others do

Delete
  4. Much better from Derbyshire, great knocks from Luis and Critch took the game away from Leics. Agree about Billy, time to step down from the captaincy role and from the T20 side altogether, he's a complete passenger in this format and when he does score big it takes him too long. Just give Wood a chance for heavens sake, he can't bat any worse. Good luck against the bears Derbyshire

ReplyDelete
  5. you mention Godleman's captaincy Peakfan and I know you are almost reluctant to do so. But it is often naive and illogical. It has never been consistently good imo. It IS time to leave him out of T20 reckoning altogether and to bring in Wood and Came for example for every game. The Club needs fresh impetus from these type of players and they are capable of providing it. well done to Matt Critchley- a really suoperb knock and well done to Reece for regaining some form and showing his true talent. Going forward, its Hughes as Captain of T20 for me.

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. T20 captaincy is intense and needs a Skipper on top of it. Fresh eyes, and head for the format would be the way to go, as other clubs, do with success.

Agree on Hughes, but Reece would do a fine job too and Critchley could be interesting!

Delete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!