Tuesday 22 June 2021

Derbyshire v Leicestershire T20

Leicestershire 174-8 (Kimber 53, Steel 46, Hudson-Prentice 3-36)

Derbyshire 132 (Came 40, Guest 27)

Leicestershire won by 42 runs

I have always had a lot of time for Dominic Cork. 

A county legend on the field, even if he didn't stay with us for his entire career like others worthy of that name. An outstanding pundit too on television, articulate and apparently knowledgeable. Coach to the first Derbyshire side to make T20 Finals Day. 

Maybe the last on this year's showing. 

Sadly, his reputation has been tarnished with this T20 season, beyond repair for me, from a coaching perspective. 

I know that we were hit by losing a quick bowler whose signing was always questionable. That we then lost a wicket keeper batsman through no fault of our own. That we have had injuries to some key personnel. 

Yet the self-inflicted harm has outdone this. 

Why, for example, did we choose to bowl last night, knowing that the wicket would get slower and harder to score on? Knowing that the opposition fielded three spinners? It isn't that this is a new thing, we have seen it a few times at Derby over the years. 

Why is there an inflexible approach to a batting line up that cost us the only chance we had, after making a mess of our death bowling? Why, for that matter, an inflexible approach to team selection? Nine injuries notwithstanding, might not Mattie McKiernan or Harvey Hosein be a better option than a captain who cannot buy a run at present? 

Billy Godleman again struggled last night and compounded the issue by running out Luis Reece with a suicidal call. His desperation to get off the mark was palpable, but smacked of selfishness. From 60-0 in 7 we were 83-3 in 12 when he was out. The game, again, was gone. 

I don't blame Billy. I lay the blame fairly at the door of the coach, and also at the door of the Head of Cricket who appointed him. He will likely attempt to distance himself from this, but he is HEAD of cricket. The buck stops with both of them. 

'We have run teams close' I hear. Yes, but we didn't beat them and coming close counts for nothing in my book. We cannot accept 'running teams close' as an aspiration, or the club will die. I don't want to be the best of the worst, when with shrewder recruitment and team selection we can be more than that. 

Cork is happy to be interviewed after a win, but should take a lesson from Paul Nixon, who fronts up after a loss. What is the rationale in the continued selection of a man woefully out of touch, now averaging 5.8 after eight games? Would anyone else in the side still be in it after such a trot? I could understand it if Billy was Mike Brearley or Eddie Barlow as skipper, but let's face it, he isn't. What message is this sending to the rest of the squad, especially those outside the team? 

If he was hell bent on picking him, then he should have batted down the order, but that would have been a cop out. Billy needed rested, before the coach's persistence, stubbornness and naivety derailed the season for both club and player. 

It is not acceptable. To players whose careers are being messed about, nor to supporters, whose hard-earned money is being taken but who appear to be laughed at. 

Last night, the running out of Reece was like cricketing Azkaban, sucking the soul from the players. Scrimshaw bowled well again earlier, as did Critchley, Van Beek bowled a good opening spell, but we again underbowled a spinner, on a wicket where our opponents bowled twelve overs of spin. 

Harry Came batted well again, though his shot on dismissal was unnecessary and frankly awful. 

Yet that has been this season from Derbyshire. We have batted well two or three times, down to individual brilliance from Reece, du Plooy and Critchley. But the fact that we still lost games comes back to the coach and the Head of Cricket, who are ultimately accountable. 

54 summers I have watched Derbyshire, through occasional and hugely enjoyed thick, as well as more frequent thin. 

2021 has been the least enjoyable. There have been individual performances to lighten the gloom, but we have got SO much wrong this summer and last winter. 

It cannot be allowed to continue. The Chairman and his board need to be looking at this as a matter of the highest priority.

If they deem this acceptable, I have been supporting the wrong county all these years. 

31 comments:

1. How disappointing after being in a good position after the power play. How many times has Came been out to the ramp shot, when he is doing well with conventional shots. I know with injuries we probably have to play Billy, but why not put him down the order at 6 or 7, his irrational play is putting the other batsmen under pressure. Defeats to York's, lancs and Warwickshire, could be expected as stacked with England and quality players, but this is the seasons low as we should be capable of at least pushing Leicestershire and probably beating them!

ReplyDelete
  2. Godleman failed again. Just stick Hosein or McKiernan at 3 if nobody else is fit, couldn't do worse.

Scrimshaw and Critchley our best bowlers again. Thomson also good but only gets two overs?

Too many make weights in the side.

ReplyDelete
  3. Time for change, enough is enough sick to death of this tripe being served up. Horrible bowling towards the end of Leicester's innings got them 40 more runs than they should have got, then spineless batting bar Came which is becoming the norm sadly. Cork and Houghton both need to go for persisting with Godleman as captain when he's doing nothing game after game, he's shot his confidence is zero, what's the point in carrying on playing him?
    A total shambles from top to bottom, so annoyed and deflated with the whole set up.

ReplyDelete
  4. Only a few weeks ago we were depressed with our team's poor performance in the 4 day game and hoping the T20 would prove our salvation. And now that hope has gone out of the window. I agree with everything said on here. On the bright side BG's batting average now almost 8.

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly it isn't. Only 5.87 from 8 knocks, at a rate some distance away from a run a ball

Delete
  5. I’m all the years reading this blog I’ve never seen such apathy from PF as I have this season

When A rational, fair and very realistic man like PF is visibly angry and has no words for our selection and performances it says it all

Dave Houghton needs to go and go now

ReplyDelete
  6. Looking for positives.
    I didn't watch all the game so perhaps the wicketkeeping and fielding were ok

ReplyDelete
  7. Tim, Chesterfield22 June 2021 at 23:16

Dreadful really. They got 25 more than they should, and even then we were (relatively) coasting along. Came played a silly and unnecessary shot but the problem was who it brought to the wicket - and painful as it was predictable BG duly killed all momentum and worse still ran out one of the few batsman capable of seeing us home. I assume Billy isn't enjoying it, but my blame points to Cork for allowing this shambles to rumble on to what now is real point of tension.

ReplyDelete
  8. For me, we are just aren't a 'smart' team at the moment. From the team selection, to choice of bowlers, to the signings, there are far too many decisions which leave me scratching my head thinking 'why have they done that?'.

I can live with defeats, but too many losses this year feel entirely self-inflicted, and that's the most disappointing thing.

ReplyDelete
  9. When you reach the bottom, as is the case with DCCC at this particular time, an opportunity will undoubtedly arise for someone. I will not add to the remarks made above- all of them sad but accurate but I do believe the Club needs a complete overhaul with new personnel in key positions affecting on-field matters. Both Coaches and Captain need to be relieved of their positions in the immediate future, otherwise more far-reaching decisions will be made by others , which will affect the entire Club negatively. This is a critical time IMO and bold, rational decisions need to be made quickly. This cannot be allowed to continue.

ReplyDelete
  10. As decent a start as we made, thanks largely to Came, it really only negated the forty seven runs that Leics amassed off their last three overs. Our death bowling got murdered.

Had we been able to keep them, when at 80/5 midway through, to 150 then it might have been attainable.

Once Billy ran Reece out, that turned the tide. We couldn't deal with their pace-off attack. Boundaries evaporated and, well, you know how it goes from there.

I have to concur; to continue to pick such an out of form player is rather beyond the pale now. And he missed a catch at cover, well- middled, though they tend to be, there.

Yes, we have plenty of injuries. We need to punch well above our weight in this T20 North group, in order to be merely mid-table.
    It's the manner of the defeats, though, that is the most concerning.

Though Derbyshire is land-locked, we seem to be pretty adrift at the moment and I'm not sure that we've got enough life jackets.

ReplyDelete
  11. Once again, we threw a game away. We were 60-0 after seven overs, thanks to Reece and Came, and poised to go on and win. But then wickets tumbled regularly and there was no way able to play the kind of explosive innings required. Our bowlers had kept Leicestershire in check up to the 13th over, when they were 90-5. After that they gradually lost their grip, especially in the last four overs, which conceded 54 runs.

I can't help but wonder what sort of effect Billy's atrocious form is having on the rest of the team. He should not have played.

Corky took al l the credit for us getting to finals day in 20191; and now he should take responsibility for an appalling T20 campaign.

ReplyDelete
  12. Cork has always been a self-assured, confident person who knows a great deal about cricket. He was also a brilliant player of course. I cannot imagine that he continues to pick Godleman for the team unless he is under some sort of pressure. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but let's face it, the Committee have never been particularly honest or forthcoming about what is going on at the club. For example, it was a long time before we were made aware of the very lengthy injury list. A captain averaging less than 6 runs after 8 innings (thanks for the correction Steve) and therefore unable to provide an example to the rest of the team or true leadership is a liability to the side. He needs to be dropped and the captaincy handed to Critchley or Reece. Critchley is (I think) the same age as Kim Barnett was when appointed captain. Now there's an example worth following!

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got your (and my) wish there. Please stick a name on next time, thanks!

Delete
  13. The silence is absolutely deafening coming out of Derbyshire ccc, re performances or lack of them so far this season. We hear nothing from Houghton, Cork, or the chairman about what needs to be put right, why haven't we signed a batsman and just concentrated on the seam front etc. Time to speak up you three, we want some answers

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is no point signing anyone now though. The season has gone, bar for a devalued RLODC

It is very sad to see

Delete
  14. Excellently put again Peakfan, I think we all concur with your views

ReplyDelete
  15. A concern from last night is wondering what the state of the dressing room morale is. You got the sense that once Billy ran out Reece the atmosphere changed completely. The longer Billy stays in the side as captain and fails the more his authority is evaporated and big questions as to whether he can continue as captain in any format will need to be asked.

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noted that as well David. It is also my concern and the body language of those coming in reflected the overall mood

Delete
  16. As someone who has been a member for almost 40 years I really don’t know where Derbyshire are going, over the past 20 years the club has just gone round in circles trying everything and nothing sustainable working from filling the team with old pros (Bailey Minton etc) to young lads out off the County league to Australians to Kodak’s.With the leaked document that came out two years ago in which it is claimed that the ECB eventually want counties to merge I don’t think the future has ever looked as bleak for Derbyshire CCC as it does in the present

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if something is afoot re the future of the club, could well explain the mediocrity on the field and lack of communication off it. Something just isn't right

Delete
    2. I don't think there is anything like that, but the club need to get back on track very quickly

Delete
  17. I'm interested in the assertion about Godleman running out Reece. I've watched the video clip several times and it seems to confirm my impression from the live action, that it was a badly-judged but mutual decision. Reece is into his first stride before Godleman leaves his crease and has taken two before Godleman completes his first. I can't see any call, nor can I see any hesitation on Reece's part. Neither was there an accusing look back at his partner, which is almost de rigeur for the victim. I know Godleman always gets the blame in their run outs, but Reece can be an uncertain runner, often taking two strides down the wicket and wrong-footing his partner as he has done several times batting with Harry Came.

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched it several times too and the danger end was always going to be the one to which Reece was running.

Reece knows and opposition know he likes a quick single to get off the mark. Maybe the skipper's poor form saw Luis go for it.

I don't know, but it was a daft run and at best would be close.. As one of the 3 men in the team in any kind of real form, a sacrifice we didn't need to make

Delete
  18. For someone who has also seen (been close to) the absolute shambles of County Age Group/Academy cricket at Derbyshire over the last decade and some of the personnel running it none of the above is of any surprise to me. Minor County teams run on a more professional footing. Please don't think there is much in the way of salvation (and I do mean this with the greatest of respect) to come from the 2's and age group cricket

ReplyDelete
  19. Essex fan commenting from afar.

Your situation draw's parallels with ours this season. a small county that has been punching (massively for us in last 5 years) above it weight, yet suffering this season from potential lack of planning and reinforcement.

Before we are too quick to judge the pandemic has made this season (and last) a basket case and needs to be judged carefully. things are not normal and the financial situation across the board for non TM counties is precarious to say the least.

Our t20 campaign is a farce with washed out players keep getting picked (until recently) baffling tactics/decisions and players left out inexplicable when the incumbents are failing (where is Varun Chopra fr example??? maybe a good shout for you to pick up as someone who will be leaving us this winter and hasnt got a sniff all season despite doing well in the 2's) we have been an awful T20 side for years with 2019 a complete and utter fluke (and even then we were poor tbh).

Our championship season has fallen apart and not been helped by strange selections and the mistake of retaining an (albeit very good in the past and still got it) bowling o/s player when we desperately needed a batsmen, and he added no variety to what we already have in reserve, and resting a key, hitting form player for a must win game (Porter in our last CC game).

You shouldn't be too quick to judge on this season alone, its not normal, but i agree the one thing you have cause for concern is the baffling BG situation. As a captain you would think if those above him are not dropping him he would do the honorable thing and drop himself, be it a false injury or simply to find form. There's nothing stopping him doing that and letting HH or MM have ago who could do no worse.
    That is a worry especially as he is club captain.
    He has form in the past for being difficult, and I'm not saying that's the case here but i simple do not see why he hasn't dropped himself or made himself unavailable for selection, given its clear hes not only not worth a place in the side, but actively making it worse for the other players given his strike rate. Were he coming in getting out first ball so be it, but hes wasting time and putting pressure on others, so its deliberately handicapping yourselves, which is crazy on all accounts from DH, DC and BG.

Keep the faith in the game PF, things will improve at some point, be it this or next season. You are a positive chap, and some may say too positive in your pre-season predictions and opinions on players/coaches before the season starts at times! but i think some are hitting the other extreme here. You have been racked by misfortune in T20 this year in injuries and o/s add Mcdermott in and you can add 3 wins to your tally imo already. Add stanlake and thats another probably, and things then would be looking ok.

The RLODC is devalued but i look forward to it still, seeing young players make there names perhaps, whilst whatever the hell the hundred is cannibalizes and ruins itself hopefully, and all counties are impacted so good to win.

If Essex can come out of the years of underachievement and become Champions, there remains hope for the other non TS teams to follow our model.

Essex fan.

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice post, Essex fan and appreciate the words of encouragement.

I am some way removed from someone who has change for change sake, but I think we need to look at that now.

There is misfortune, but also poor decision making and management. For me, it is time for change. Perhaps a new coach/HOC and a new captain, at least for one day cricket, is needed.

We certainly aspire to be Essex, that is for sure!

Delete
  20. Corky's finally woken up. Critchley is taking over the captaincy for the rest of the T20 campaign.

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cork should have issued that statement 5 matches ago. Cork should leave now. He's getting absolutely nothing out of this 10. I struggle to call it 11.

Delete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!