Monday 7 June 2021

McDermott absence a puzzle

A long day of working for me today meant I couldn't blog on something that made me raise an eyebrow in the style of Roger Moore.

What I would expect will be the team for the first T20 game at Old Trafford comfortably disposed of Yorkshire in a second team game.

There were good knocks by Luis Reece and Matt Critchley, late impetus from Brooke Guest and a team that seemed only two short from what I would have picked for Lancashire. Mikey Cohen again bowled very well, as did Alex Thomson, who looks a find. 

There was no Logan Van Beek, in action for the Netherlands (and doing well). I assume he will replace George Scrimshaw at Old Trafford. 

But nor was there any Ben McDermott.

I have read nothing of him being injured and saw no sign of it in the game against Warwickshire. Nor did he look in especially top form, so surely a game today and a few in the middle of the bat might have been beneficial?

It seems odd, to me. Were I coach, I would want my best eleven in the final game, unless there was a good reason  for people to be missing. A dress rehearsal before the show, if you will.

So wherefore art thou, Ben?

We must only assume it is nothing of major importance, as it would otherwise surely have been announced. 

Today's team: Godleman, Reece, Madsen, du Plooy, Critchley, Hughes, Hudson-Prentice, Guest, Thomson, Cohen, Scrimshaw

2 comments:

  1. As you say, Steve, this is puzzling. You would assume mCdermott and van Beek would have been playing,

    While we're talking about the seconds, I wish the DCC web site would make it easier to find the their fixtures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We play Notts tomorrow. It will be a worry if McDermott doesn't feature.

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!