Sunday 2 April 2017

The season approaches...

The season is fast approaching and cricketers around the country are getting ready for a new season with the optimism that comes from some solid net sessions and perhaps some new gear to give them an extra percent here and there.

I have sadly got used to the idea of not playing now and it is almost three years since I last picked up a bat in anger, Yet I can still cast my mind back to the days of my youth, such a memory being dragged to the surface by an old picture sent to me by a school pal last week.

It was 1976, a summer of searing heat and soaring temperatures, when I combined A levels with playing cricket for my school and for a local club. Goodness knows how I fitted it all in, to be honest, but I did and the photo, of the Staff v School match that summer, shows a then tonsorially impressive me with my team mates on another glorious day in a summer that no one wanted to end.

The whole school watched the game from start to finish. No classes, just a chance to watch cricket or, if that was of no interest, chat to pals and eat ice creams. I still recall batting for some time and being in at the end against a very good staff side, managing to hold out for the draw with a tail-end batsman for company. There was even some gentle sledging from the close fielders with Bill, my Maths teacher who was a very good all-rounder, telling me as the last over was about to commence that I should entertain the crowd.

I ignored him, because he always did that and his probing medium-fast seam usually saw the staff side triumph. Not that year, and at over end, when I had survived the closest field I had ever experienced, he walked up to me, smiled and shook my hand.

'Well done son', he said. 'Rule number one...NEVER listen to the opposition'.

He passed away a few years back, but as a player and a man, he played a key role in my cricketing and personal development. And I never did get the punishment exercises and extra work that was threatened after every ball of that last over...

On a different tack, this weekend the blog has gone past the 1.25 million views mark. I never cease to be amazed at how it has taken off and thank you all for your continued support. Please keep your comments and emails coming and I look forward to more exchanges in the coming months.

Changing tack again, you have just under a couple of weeks until the first game and to register for the Fantasy League. If you have any problems in registering, do please let me know. Ten teams are so far registered and thanks to all who have got involved.

8031395 is the PIN to access the league, and it is only £8 for one team, with discounts for more.

Finally today, I read earlier this week that Chris Read has informed Nottinghamshire this season will be his last.

Whoever steps into those shoes has a mighty big job on their hands, because for me he has been the best wicket-keeper/batsman in the country for years. A man who always gets runs when most needed, very composed and tidy behind the stumps, plenty of less talented players have had long international careers, but England's loss has been Nottinghamshire's gain.

Given his county's track record of sniffing around the best young talent of their neighbours, it makes it all the more important that we look after Harvey Hosein. He has to perform and justify selection, of course, but the reality is that if a county with a reputation for throwing around money comes looking, it is likely to make a Godfather-style offer than cannot be refused.

Let's just hope that Tom Moores develops rapidly this summer and keeps the wolf from the door...

With that, adieu for now.

I'm off to correct a Cricinfo article, that labels Daryn Smit a Kolpak signing...

7 comments:

  1. I retired from playing a few years ago Peakfan. Boy do I miss it !!!!
    Had a few years umpiring in the County league, but then the ears and eyes went. Not a good sight when the league appointed umpire turns up wearing glasses and a hearing aid.
    Your comment about Harvey is absolutely 'spot on'. If the lad is offered the chance to play regularly on a test ground, possibly in division one and for more money, then I think we will have no chance of keeping him here. I have the same worry that Warwickshire could come calling.
    Most importantly though, only a couple of weeks to getting started.
    Bring it on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi PF. John from Derby again. Whilst I'm confident we will make a better fist of this season than last I do have a few worries long term. Not least is the Harvey situation. The best way to get the lads head turned is if he's not playing regular first team cricket. This lad was the only positive to come out of last season. His long term development in a Derbyshire shirt should be high on the managements list. A 2 year contract is a wise move but I hope he gets the cricket he deserves this season. Secondly whilst the signing of Smit certainly strengthens the batting line up it does appear to shut the door on our batting young guns. I hoped to see a fight for that final batting slot between Wood, McDonald, Hughes and also Reece. That spot is now gone and these guys will have to wait for injuries or very poor form before a chance comes begging. The team pretty much picks itself for the first month. With the exception of a few bowling tweaks. The old adage of "you win nowt with kids" may be largely correct but we now look to have a very high percentage of senior players. I can see why Kim has gone down this route. Last season cried out for more leaders on the pitch. Let's hope we have the mix of youth and experience correct and these clearly talented young players are not left to stagnate in the seconds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Peakfan. Isn't the deadline Friday for Fantasy Cricket? Or can you enter after the season starts and try to catch up? I'll be in at some point before the 7th anyway.

    Dave Lazarus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can enter at any point Dave but sooner the better, or you start the season like Durham...

      Delete
  4. Sounds like you had a great school there Peakfan, we never had such joys. Was that a Chesterfield school you were at, or Derby way?.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No mate it was one of the last grammar schools in Nottinghamshire. Went comprehensive in my final year. Family moved across the county border for Dads work when I was 10...

      Delete
  5. Ah, so you've a soft spot for Notts then mate?.

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!