Wednesday 28 May 2014

Derbyshire v Northamptonshire T20

Played two, lost two. We're playing the reigning champions and we're live on Sky.

Recipe for disaster or for a cricketing feast?

I genuinely can't call the Derbyshire side at the moment, but I remain convinced that we're a far better team than results have so far shown. I think we've yet to find our best side and that when we do, we will start to make an impact.

There's a certain irony in the fact that our 'poster boy' for T20 cricket is one I'd consider omitting on current form. Chesney Hughes isn't in great nick as a batsman and if we're only bowling him for an over, as in the last game, I'd be inclined to put Tom Knight in. I'd open with him, tell him to give it a slap and not worry if he gets out early. He could then bowl four overs and is a mobile fielder, so there'd be a lot to like in his involvement.

Wes Durston's bowling would keep him in, but his current struggles with the bat would see him drop down the order in my side, allowing Scott Elstone to take his place.

Here's my side - one in which spin would play a full and important part:

Moore
Knight
North
Elstone
Madsen
Hughes (A)
Durston
Cross
Palladino
Groenewald
Footitt

Four seamers and four spinners to give the skipper plenty of options, but let's see if we can make better use of the Powerplay tomorrow. If we're 65-3 in six overs, so be it, but we'll have a long batting line up to build things again and have the impetus for a sizeable score.

Northamptonshire have announced a thirteen-man squad that will be keen to maintain a challenge for their title. They have some powerful hitters in the side and if we don't mix the bowling up more than in previous games, I fear the worst, to be honest. Their squad:

Kyle Coetzer*
Muhammad Azhar Ullah
Ian Butler
Maurice Chambers
Steven Crook
Ben Duckett+
Rob Keogh
Richard Levi
Rob Newton
David Sales
Matthew Spriegel
David Willey
Graeme White

I hope for a better display and would love to report on a win tomorrow night.

That's assuming it stops raining sometime between now and then...

3 comments:

1. Tim, Chesterfield28 May 2014 at 22:13

Knight can't do any worse than Hughes - which isn't necessarily a great reason to pick someone but it'll do for me.

I'll be amazed if we get so much as a six over thrash.

ReplyDelete
  2. A heavy defeat as usual
    We seem worse than ever yet have strenghened the team.Something isnt right
    I know exactly what is going to happen tomorrow night not worth watching

ReplyDelete
  3. MOORE
    C.HUGHES
    NORTH
    DURSTON
    ELSTONE
    A.HUGHES
    CLARE
    KNIGHT
    MADSEN
    CROSS
    PALLADINO

Much deliberation over this team. I,ve retained both Chesney Hughes and Durston in their positions. I,m not a fan of shunting people up and down the order when lack of form is the reason for doing so,because it rarely pays off.

There are bowling options galore,both seam and spin. I,ve picked Clare mainly as a batsman. In that position,if he gets his eye in,he could do some damage at a time we may need it. We are still only two games in so both Hughes and Durston get another chance. Again,if they come off,it will stand us in good stead. Durston is good at hitting the ball over the top in the arc and that,s what he needs to get back to doing. Forget all this nudging and nerdling,just go for it.

ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!