Saturday 25 August 2012

Time to start the radio chat

After this week's memorable game and ahead of next week's match against Essex, it would appear to be a good time to pilot the internet radio chat among Derbyshire fans.

Before I explain how to listen in and/or contribute, a few words about what I'm aiming for, which is effectively like-minded Derbyshire fans sat around a few tables in a village pub, chatting about the county fortunes, what we have done and what we are likely to do. I hope it will be fun and that people accept it as that and tune in to enjoy themselves.

The software gives me control over the microphones of those contributing (assuming there is anyone!) and it will be a swearing-free, club-slagging free zone. While it is fair to say that player X and player Y aren't in their best form, or not playing as well as they might,  it isn't acceptable to say that they are "rubbish", as by definition you have to be a heck of a good player to reach county standard. Likewise personal comments on anyone associated with the club are not allowed under any circumstances. Fair, constructive criticism is fine, but be prepared for a counter-argument if I disagree...

Anyone contravening the "house" rules will simply have their microphone muted for the remainder of the show. It won't be a free for all  - aside from mine, only one microphone at a time will be live and I aim to give an opportunity to as many as want it within the running time, as far as is realistic.

Anyone who thinks it an opportunity to have a go at old Peakfan should probably not bother. I'm happy for anyone to disagree with me, but if you do, tell me why and we can debate it. I'm trying to do this as a service for fans of the club. It's not the BBC, but the standards have to be the same or it will remain a pilot. I'd like to think that this blog has standards and the show must replicate them, or it won't work and I won't take it forward.

So, how do you get involved in the first show, which will be this coming Monday evening at 9pm for around 30 minutes or so?

First click on the "Peakfan Radio" link on the left of this page (scroll down)

It will take you to the BeeVocal home page, where, in the top right hand corner, you will on your first visit need to sign up and subsequently need to log in.

From there, navigation is a breeze. Search for the show under "Peakfan" or "cricket" and you will soon find it. To contribute, you will probably need headphones with a microphone, depending on the effectiveness of the one built into your PC or laptop. You can, of course, simply listen into the chat without if you prefer. Click on the link to the show and you will be connected.

Past shows will be visible on the site, so if you can't make a particular episode, listen at your leisure.

What to talk about? Well, it should hopefully flow and I have a few ideas, which is useful. If the conversation switches to a topic when you want to have a say, simply click the hand symbol, I will see it and will come to you as soon as I am able to do so.

Expect teething issues in the first show, but I hope a few of you will tune in and get involved. If there is no interest, I can just as easily drop it as create it.

We will see what develops. Just don't expect me to call you my dear old thing...

2 comments:

  1. There's an interesting comment from Mark on last night's blog, about whether batting second when we have the option needs to be re-thought. It hadn't occurred to me before, but when I looked at this year's matches, we've won seven tosses, batting first twice and second 5 times, indicating a clear Madsen preference for batting second.

    As Mark comments, batting second has resulted in us struggling in recent games, but when you look at it across the season as a whole, it's worked pretty well. Our only defeat came when we won the toss and batted first. Our record batting first has been won 1, lost 1 and drawn 1. Batting second, we've won 4 and drawn 5. Average runs per wicket is 25.6 batting first, and 30.3 batting second (although you have to take into account 95 all out batting first against Gloucestershire, and 569 batting second against Yorkshire).

    I'm now a bit lost in stats, but I think this indicates that Madsen has got it right more often than not in deciding what works best for Derbyshire in the conditions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent post mate and an interesting statistic!

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!