Wednesday 29 August 2012

Derbyshire v Essex day 2

Er....it rained. That's all I can say, really. Like all the other games, this one fell foul of the weather so all of the teams at the top will now probably need to take risks in order to force positive results.

With a buffer between them and us, Derbyshire do not need to do that and in the first instance can concentrate on the acquisition of bonus points, then see where things go from there. A win would be nice and with improved batting tomorrow is a possibility, but first and foremost we need to ensure we don't lose.

As an aside, having given a reasonable amount of thought to it today, I think the "Jonathan Clare to Nottinghamshire" story I referred to earlier is most likely to be someone up to a little mischief.

For one thing, they are not exactly short of decent bowlers. For another they have thrown their hat in the ring for James Harris, who will not come cheap should they be successful. Unless they are intent on signing all good under-26 bowlers in the country, I fail to see how they could fit Harris and Clare into the same side with the other guys they have.

Then there's the fact that Clare seems very settled at Derby and can presumably satisfy his ambitions to play at a higher level with his mates at Derbyshire next summer, all being well.

I may be wrong, but for me this has come about by someone talking about Paul Franks leaving Nottinghamshire and getting a reply along the lines that "they'll be after Clare next". From such misinterpretation do daft stories come and from the above you're only a syntax-swap away from "they are after Clare".

You pays your money and takes your choice guv'nor. As for me, I'll happily abide with the fact that JC will be a valued and valuable member of Derbyshire's squad, until the club tell us otherwise.

See you tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. This business with Clare is a worrying development. There may be no truth in it but being an old cynic I don,t believe in no smoke without fire.

    The longer Palladino goes without agreeing new terms also sets alarm bells ringing. I cannot believe for a minute we haven,t offered him a new deal,so what,s the story with him?. Nothing speaks louder than silence.

    I sincerly hope i,m wrong but something tells me we may be looking for not one,but two bowlers next season. Like i say,for once I hope i,m wrong.

    I also wish Lineker all the best. I think Krikken gave him every opportunity which unfortunatly he was unable to take. Thanks to this ridiculous ECB payment strategy, age was no longer on his side as many others are now finding out. It would be a good idea to have age restrictions at the ECB anmd get rid of some of these prats that are supposedly running the game. One year younger than David Morgan would be a good starting point.

    I,m pleased Turner has been given a new deal. I,ll be the first to admit I had serious reservations about him,but he,s won me over. He can still be annoyingly expensive at times but he takes wickets and that,s good enough for me. Well done to the lad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marc. Palladino is on contract to the end of next season, Clare to the end of 2014. There's no immediate rush to sign either up for longer, but I daresay it will be up there as a thing to do for Messrs Grant and Krikken, certainly for Dino.
    I would be very confident that both will be in Derbyshire colours next summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i realise Palldino is contracted next esason Peakfan but if you recall the blueprint last year it stated,amongst other things,that contracts for key p;layers would not be allowed to run into a final season.

    There may be nothing to worry about in either his or Clare,s case and hopefully my fears will prove groundless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, that's right Marc and I'm sure securing an extension for Dino will be high in the priorities between now and April. They'll sort that in that time as I know how much he enjoys his cricket at Derby.

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!