Monday 24 April 2023

Hello again!

I'm so pleased to say that this morning I was able to return home after surgery.

It was a huge relief and an emotional experience. I would like to go on record with my gratitude to a wonderful surgical and medical team, who not only with considerable skill removed a 'very large and growing' cyst from my abdominal cavity, but also managed to preserve the kidney that was threatened by it.

The surgeons have pronounced the operation a great success and I will eternally be in their debt. There is some way to go yet, and I have a lot of muscles to repair, together with the sizeable wound itself. But Peakfan is back and I cannot tell you how happy I am to write those words.

I hope to be able to resume blogging duties and may do so for the Durham game, depending how I feel each day. If initially there is a day when I do not feel up to doing so, I will at least put a header for that day and your comments on it.

But it was nice to see some of Derbyshire's players get good action for the second team against Nottinghamshire. Especially good to see Mark Watt and Alex Thomson bowling well in tandem, during the final innings, to ensure a comfortable 10 wicket win. Although equally so to see Tom Wood in the runs.

It was also good to follow the Derbyshire Premier League action at the weekend, with plenty of favourites past, present and maybe future in action.

I remain confident that we will enjoy a good summer. The main thing missing so far has been bowling rhythm, the fairly awful weather legislating against that. But with Lakmal getting back into the groove at Lady Bay, I expect to see an improved performance at Chester Le Street this week.

I cannot tell you how much I am looking forward to watching that. Even if part of me, a sizeable part, will wish that I was there in person, as originally planned.

One final comment, in this brief but essential catch up, I am very pleased that. Mickey Arthur, in all of the press pieces surrounding his new role with Pakistan, has reiterated his commitment to Derbyshire. I fully understand that a man used to involvement year round would find a winter hard to handle in this country. With the right structures in both places, which he has certainly established at Derby, then there shouldn't really be an issue.

What will be interesting is his pull for overseas players now, from that part of the world. One would assume that Pakistan players with the desire to impress their national coach would be very keen to impress him in county colours. That might well be worth keeping an eye on.

As hopefully will this blog!

See you soon.

13 comments:

  1. Great to have you back and great news the procedure was a success but look after yourself over the next few days and weeks. No high fives when Derbyshire recover their mojo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pleased the op was a great success!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clay Cross Mark24 April 2023 at 22:27

    Hi Steve, that is wonderful news about your operation. Whilst it is great to read your blog again, take it easy mate and enjoy the Derbyshire cricket. Mark

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pleased to hear of your recovery PF and look forward to your perceptive comments on all things relating to Derbyshire cricket.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michael Williams24 April 2023 at 22:35

    Really happy the operation was a success. Glad you are back to being able to follow and comment on the team. Though I don’t post all that much, I always read!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great to hear things went well Steve....hopefully Derbyshire will fuel your recovery !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great news! Really glad the operation was a success, and I hope you now go from strength to strength! And let’s hope the lads do us all proud!

    KEITH

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to hear it all went well Peakfan. Take it easy and fingers crossed for some cricket weather!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great that you are well, don't often post, but always read your excellent blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you're over the op, Steve, and on the road to recovery. Let's hope Derbyshire hit the road to victory at Chester Le Street.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful to have you back - glad it went well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you all so much for your kind words. They mean more than you will ever know

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great to have you back and I’m so pleased to hear that all went well. Good luck with your recovery!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!