Friday 4 March 2022

Watt return offers greater cause for optimism


Back on 22 October, in an article titled 'Scottish Success Offers Derbyshire Interest', I wrote the following words:

Watt was dispensed with too soon, but seems to have worked hard on his weight, which was likely an issue. That he is a canny spinner is beyond doubt and he is a thinker. Balls from 23/24 yards, from two or three paces, from wider on the crease.. I like his combative edge and if Derbyshire were to lose Matt Critchley this winter  (I remain convinced we will) then he would be a decent pick for T20.

Today he was announced as a new signing for the whole of the Vitality Blast and I couldn't be happier.

Well, maybe I could if I could forecast football results with such accuracy, but it was a signing that always seemed right to me. Especially when Mickey Arthur said he felt we were short of a slow left arm bowler and added separately that he hoped to do 'something' for the Vitality Blast.

Spin bowlers aren't traditionally hostile, but when I have seen Mark he bristles aggression in the best sense. He was a standout for Scotland in the T20 World Cup, playing in all the games yet going for only six runs an over throughout, the 'control' bowler that every captain craves. 

His control of line and length is exceptional and let's not forget he is still only 25. I haven't yet seen him slip in a surprise bouncer, but with short run ups, use of the crease and bowling from behind the stumps (and still keeping his length, a rare skill) he keeps the batsmen on their toes. He almost DARES batsmen to hit him, but it is a risky business for those who try. 

He is a useful tail end 'clumper' too and much- improved in the field. That World Cup appearance saw him the fittest I have ever seen him and it had positive impact on all of his game. 

For me, his signing ticks a big box. My concern, as I have written before, was that teams would look at our pace attack and think 'let's have a slow wicket for this one'. Mark's signing gives us a bowler who will keep it tight on a good track, cause problems on a helpful one.

I am not ignoring the claims of Mattie McKiernan and Alex Thomson, who each have opportunities this summer. As it progresses, they will have a chance to prove they can be lead spinner. Both can handle a bat, both field well, but the acid test is if they can take the wickets we will need in the four-day game, especially in later summer. I suspect that we may also need two spinners for some Blast games, Old Trafford being a prime example. 

Mickey Arthur was sufficiently bullish about Thomson to name him as one to watch in the past fortnight, when England spinners were being discussed. It may be clever psychology, but he may equally have seen something in a player with an obvious path into a county career, after years where that wasn't clear. In any walk of life, that can be very helpful to performance. 

If he can be our four-day pick (or McKiernan, who I maintain has been under-utilised when he has played) then Watt can do what he does very well in the shortest format.

Very happy with this one. A shrewd, no arguments, common sense signing by a man who has now made three of them. 

Little by little, things are coming together nicely. 

9 comments:

  1. You get the sense this season that there is a strategy and a sense of direction. Doesn't mean it will work necessarily, but at least there is cause for optimism.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, Oliver. We seem to have a strategy, obvious gaps being filled. We haven't seemed to have one for a long time.

      Delete
  2. A little underwhelmed personally but I hope he proves me wrong. I agree he seemed a little fitter during the World Cup but still some way short of the required level for me.


    As MA sees high standards of fielding and fitness as non negotiable then it will be great to see Watt reach these levels. Some hard work ahead for him. I hope he does it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He played against the best in the world and no one took him apart. Logically he should be tight in the Blast and that is key.

      Think it may well turn out to be an astute bit of business

      Delete
  3. Hmmm... well he bowled 2 overs against India and took 1 for 20. Only two other games against top teams so not sure he he played against all "the best in the world!'

    I'm not complaining, just have my doubts and a bit underwhelmed. Had hoped for a bit better if I'm honest. I wish him well and hope he proves me wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, he bowled 4 overs for 23 against Afghanistan, 4 for 19 v Bangladesh and 4 for 13 against New Zealand. All good players of spin and top cricket nations.

      I don't think two overs 1-20 in the Powerplay against Rahul, Sharma and Kohli too bad, when his team mates went for 15/16..

      Not sure who else there was? It had to be either English or Scots, as others would be overseas, which we already have.

      I will go with Mickey Arthur on that one. He lost little in comparison to other spinners in the World Cup. Hopefully can replicate that in our colours!

      Delete
  4. I don't think Afghanistan and Bangladesh's batting line ups are choc full of world class batsmen...fine players and competent against spin for sure, but I would contest the 'He played against the best in the world' bit.

    Hey, we agree to disagree not for the first time! I have my doubts but hope you can remind me about it in 6 months and he proves me wrong.

    Anyhow, the best spin bowler and tactician I have ever seen has sadly passed. Loved watching him play, and listening to him on commentary was a delight. Arguably the best bowler ever. RIP Shane Warne.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have perhaps gone for Imran Tahir, as a talisman and to put a few on the gate. Not disappointed though, I think he will bowl quite dry at times. Think he may club a few down the order too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is still a class act but would be an overseas player and we already have two. We don't have the money to have an overseas on the sidelines, kicking his heels.

      But if one of ours is injured, ahead of or during the T20, his being in Staffs might make him an intriguing short term option.

      As he might be for other counties, of course!

      Delete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!