Tuesday 5 September 2023

Yorkshire v Derbyshire day 3

Yorkshire 297 and 520-9

Derbyshire 247 and 65-1

Derbyshire need 506 runs to win

I had an idea that it was going to be one of those days when I woke up this morning to find the following awaiting publication:

'Censorship on Peak blog is far to draconian and typifies the era we live in. While I enjoy it there is
no edge to it'. (sic)

Actually, I try to be fairly liberal in what I publish, but when there are comments that I feel are 'personal' or patently unfair towards someone at the cricket club, I reserve the right, as the bloke with his name and face on the blog, to withhold publication.

If ever the person who makes such comments wishes to publish their name and photo alongside it, I would be happy to consider the options. Yet that is as likely as Derbyshire scoring another 506 runs to beat Yorkshire tomorrow.

I confess to not seeing much of today's play. I had quite a few meetings and opted for the sunshine for a while in the late afternoon. With Yorkshire progressing serenely to 520-9 before declaring, it doesn't appear that I missed all that much. I did rewind the stream to catch the two wickets that Mitch Wagstaff took in his first over, the first Derbyshire player ever to do so, but the rest cannot have been much fun from a Derbyshire perspective. Those who were there, or who had more time than I, can fill in the blanks on this occasion.

Alex Thomson took 5-190, his second five-wicket haul of the summer in a marathon stint of 38.4 overs. If he is feeling tired tonight, my mind went back to 1965, when Derbyshire played Yorkshire on this ground. The three seamers were injured in the first session and Edwin Smith bowled 55 overs and took 4-117. He bowled 37 on the trot and went straight to the beer tent for a pint of shandy at the tea interval! He and Derek Morgan bowled 107 overs between them...

I was surprised that Yorkshire didn't declare earlier. With a lead of 400 they had put the game out of Derbyshire's reach and I couldn't understand why they opted for a lead of 570 before calling it a day. Granted, Revis made a ton, but I would have thought the objective was the win, first and foremost.

As it was, I saw the closing overs, when Came and Guest saw it through to a sunlit close. Yorkshire may win this game tomorrow, but the events of today suggested that Derbyshire should be able to hold out for the draw, if they bat with anything like their individual abilities. The home side will be able to set a close field all day, but I cannot help feeling they missed a trick in batting on for so long. Or maybe, like the Mission Impossible tapes in days of yore, the pitch self-destructs after three days..

It was a shame that Wagstaff was dismissed before the close. He has done well here, with a half century, his first two wickets and a blinding catch. Certainly he has given food for thought when contracts are being considered.

I hope to see a little bit more of the game tomorrow, but after a promising first day, Derbyshire have been firmly under the cosh ever since.

Here's hoping a little pride can be restored for the journey home tomorrow night.

10 comments:

  1. I was at old Trafford in the early nineties Derbyshire bowled Lancashire out in a morning session Stan Mortensen taking the last wicket having bowl throughout the innings from the Stretford end having taken the final wicket Stan sprinted off the field hurdled the advertising board ran up the steps into the pavilion bar and had ordered a pint of larger before the rest of the players and umpires had left the field

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was there, ‘enjoying’ some banter with the Yorkshire fans, not least a question or two about why, when I live and work in Yorkshire and was born and grew up as close to South Yorkshire as you can while still being Derbyshire (Eckington/Dronfield), I don’t just give up and support them instead. Frankly I’d rather chop off my own leg with a tin opener, and am Derbyshire till I die, but even so, this was grim day and has been a disappointing match and season. The captaincy today was baffling. Dal took 5 in the first innings but didn’t bowl at all today although he kept warming up as if to do so. It’s obvious the ball was going to spin from leg to off - hence the use of the execrable efforts of Du Ploy and the very ordinary stuff that Wagstaff sent down, a couple of streaky wickets notwithstanding. Meanwhile our best leg to off spinner, Watt, has been a part time sub fielder here. Plus Du Ploy didn’t take the new ball till the 96th over. No wonder one seam bowler on the boundary in front me joined in with the crowds slow hand clapping when we tried to waste time with the spinners just before tea. I’ve loved being In Scarborough for the festival and I ever met Geoff Boycott yesterday but wow, there are times when it’s very hard being a diehard Derbyshire member and supporter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry Steve I’ve just written a lengthy message but forgot to sign it, could you add ‘Andy T’ to the end so you think? Or send it back to me so I can do so? My eloquence carried me away I think!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Embarrassing. I think I'll leave any further comment till close of play tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crikey, I saw some negative comments about today ! I was at Scarborough and I actually enjoyed today. The damage was done yesterday, but today, I saw some skill and fight from Derbys.
    I have no problem with Mitch W and Alex T bowling pretty much non-stop this afternoon and great to sesvMitch bowl so we’ll. Yorks were so far ahead, they could bat however they liked, but I liked our resolve and attitude today on a pitch that seemed to have flattened out.
    I hope that Yorks regret their tardiness at declaring tomorrow (perhaps they feared our batting !!) as some of the locals did. Harry C and Brooke G batted with skill and poise to the end, which was nice.
    I just hope that the pitch stays flat. I’d give us a 25% chance, but games have been saved from less.
    Andy from Glossop.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder if Derbyshire will go for a run chase. It might look unlikely, given the target. But at Hove in July we tried to chase 380, and narrowly missed it, scoring at around six an over. Mickey's often spoken about us needing to play more aggressive cricket. Well, here's an opportunity. We could at least give it a go. I'd rather see us go down blazing than splutter to another draw.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think a chase on at all, but the wicket has flattened out so we have a chance of batting it through. I understand one or two bowlers are struggling so maybe Yorks didn't want to be in the field for a day and a half, potentially. Hopefully we can battle to the draw points!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I assume they think 4 sessions to bowl us out … Be good to dig in and avoid defeat today …

    ReplyDelete
  9. 198-2 …, 201-6 … 10 mins before lunch.. this Team seem unable to win back to back sessions of cricket … would be alarming to finish below a team with a 40 point deduction

    ReplyDelete
  10. Came and Madsen apart it's turning into another pitiful performance from Derbyshire

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!