Saturday 21 August 2010

What's in a name?

Being a proud and dutiful husband and father, I like to be involved in family affairs and involve my family in mine.

So it was, after a lovely dinner last night, that I asked my family what name they felt the most apposite for Derbyshire in 2011. After all, we have been the Scorpions, though sadly lacking any sting, then became the Phantoms, when we seldom had a ghost of a chance. This season we have been the Falcons and, to be fair, we took off, albeit briefly, before plummeting to the earth. Maybe it was the name. Could my dearly beloved come up with something that might ensure a change of fortunes?

My son, bless him, has been to a good few games with me and said that he thought Falcons pretty good. 'Mind you,' he said, 'the commercial guys will change it just so they can squeeze a few more baseball caps out of the fanbase.' It was hard to argue. I have three caps now, with the oldest hanging up in our garden shed for wearing while pottering. A bit like the team, as my wife likes to joke...

My wife, a quick-thinking soul, quickly fired back 'The Derbyshire Elephants,' so named 'because you'll at least remember your last win.' Thanks, dear. I think.

My daughter promised she would give it some thought and let me know before bedtime. Sometime around ten she came up to me in the kitchen where I was getting everyone a cuppa before bedtime.

'You see that team name Dad? Sorry, I can't come up with anything better than 'The Derbyshire Lemmings.'

You know, she might just have got the right one after three hours of careful thought. I'm sure the caps would sell well through 606...

4 comments:

  1. Peakfan.

    IT would be interesting if you had a poll amoung fans to see if they think morris should stay.

    i myself think he should remain until next season at least pending results of course.

    it would be interesting to see what the public think. you could have a poll with three options. 1 sign a new two contract now. 2/ be judged at the end of next season if to get another contract. 3/ should go now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good call anon. I will do one as soon as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We should let John Morris see out his contract. I like him and he has made some great signings for the club; Rogers, Madsen, Hughes, Durston, Jones, Groenewald, Langeveldt, Park and Peterson etc.
    Like everyone else John must see that we need a couple of good fast bowlers but we can't blame him if Wagg, Hunter, Lungley and Clare have been injured.
    Lets back him!
    DCCCFOREVER

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, jm should be judged at the end of next season. sometimes you have to look at the players rather than the coach, and plus the cost of removing the morris team. i feel the players are better than what they are playing at the moment. we need to find a win. the main target for derbyshire is not to finish bottom.

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!