Friday, 28 August 2026

Derbyshire v Middlesex days 1 and 2

Derbyshire 79-3 (Jewell 32*, Montgomery 30, Higgins 2-18)

v Middlesex

There isn't much to write about on the first two days at Derby 

The hardy supporters have only had 32 overs of play in those 2 days, in which Derbyshire progressed to 79-3.

A draw looked a nailed on certainty with the weather forecast and after two days it appears even more likely. 

Neither Harry Came nor Wayne Madsen will be especially pleased with the manner of their dismissals, neither stroke being especially judicious in the prevailing conditions. But fair play to Caleb Jewell, who has endured a difficult summer and may well be playing his final innings for the county, in making a gritty, unbeaten 32.

It was going to be tough for whichever side ended up batting, but Toby Roland-Jones and Ryan Higgins are fine, experienced bowlers and they exploited the conditions well. 

It looks unlikely we will enjoy much cricket tomorrow, so the remainder of the game looks like being a battle for first innings bonus points. 

So much for summer, eh?

17 comments:

  1. Chapel Guy
    After seeing Derbyshire's team selection for this game I was shocked to see that Yusuf Bin Naeem was not in the squad. After his recent bstting heroics he must think that he will never get into the first team and seek his fortune elsewhere. If that should happen , we , or specifically MA , will only have himself to blame as our Dad's Army team continues to plod on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim, Chesterfield29 August 2026 at 07:00

    I happened to be watching the stream when Wayne Madsen got out. I don't think I've seen him get out to such an ugly shot. My first thought, to my own horror, was that it might hasten his own retirement when he sees it back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suppose the aim now is to win another 4 day game. I can't recall the last time we won 4 in a season. 2012? Kris

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we should cut Mickey some slack to be honest.Anyone could see how upset he was after the Durham trouncing and he wants success just as much as the rest of us.The players have to take accountability they are experienced enough.He has introduced young players at times but unfortunately the likes of Bin Naeem and Wagstaffe simply haven't taken those chances..It's all well and good scoring heaps of runs in the seconds where their isn't the pressure but first class cricket is a different mentality altogether. Topspinner..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First-class cricket? bin Naeem has literally never played a f-c match and Wagstaff hasn't played this season and played once last season--on what if my memory serves me well was quite a spicy pitch.

      Dave

      Delete
    2. Ian from Suffolk29 August 2026 at 14:04

      I wasn’t sure if topspinner wasn’t just playing devils advocate. If not how much slack does MA need I’d have thought 5 years with the same old team going nowhere is plenty and also if scoring loads of runs in the seconds is all well and good but doesn’t mean anything how would any young player ever progress

      Delete
    3. Chapel Guy
      Quite right, Ian from Suffolk. We persist with MA while he persists with the same team game after game. We will never achieve anything with him in charge.

      Delete
  5. Having been forced to watch the test match due to the weather in Derby it’s quite obvious that when Abbas was playing for Derbyshire he was nothing more then going through the motions add to the fact in a interview he’s given recently that the only county side his heart was really in it was Hampshire, but being one of Mikey’s mates I suppose it doesn’t really matter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tim, Chesterfield29 August 2026 at 22:22

      I heard that and would have torn up his contract had it been admissable in court.

      Delete
    2. No need to go that far, Tim. You could reasonably argue it breaches the trust and confidence that has to exist between the parties in an employment relationship, as well as any 'best efforts' clause. Dave.

      Delete
  6. One question to ask is whether any of our home-developed players have done any better than our current overseas in 4-day cricket. Batting average sub-25 and bowling under 40 are the targets. Methinks the answer is obvious, or at least we would know more about their capabilities. Stewart should also have got the short-term contract this season.

    I feel also that Wayne risks leaving. His family is already in SA. Big changes needed for next year.

    Adrian, Nice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’d like to think MA will have his reasons for Stewart not getting the contract. Does anyone know if he has expressed these reasons publicly?

      Delete
  7. I have sympathy for MA over some things:
    1) Long Term injuries to Pat Brown & Harry Moore
    2) Form of the overseas players Jewell - who played well and justifiably got a second year, but whose form has been pretty average all year. Abbas - who has taken a lot of wickets everywhere apart from at Derbyshire.

    I have not got any sympathy for him on his team selections where he never gives youth a chance and some players rarely get a look in even when they are performing for the seconds and the firsts are not playing well.
    If he stays on as I expect he will I do not see things improving/changing next year unless its forced upon him by Madsen, Whiteley and Dal not getting contract extensions.
    Martin

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some interesting comments have been made here.

    Having watched Derbyshire since the 1970s, I believe that since the mid-90s, there has been a clear drop in the standard of homegrown players produced by the club. I cannot think of any recent player who has reached the heights of Ward, Taylor, Hendrick, Miller, Barnett, Malcolm, Morris, Cork, and Adams.

    Furthermore, if you compare recent overseas signings with the outstanding talents of the past, we are looking at a similar drop in quality.

    Reflecting on the team's performances since Phil Russell left in 1999, they have generally been mediocre and homogenous. While Karl Krikken had a successful season gaining promotion in 2012, the bigger picture remains unchanged.

    With this in mind, would replacing MA bring about an improvement in results? I doubt it, but I completely understand why people question a coach who has been in place for five years with little success.

    Dre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is no guarantee that getting shot of MA would improve results.

      There is also not much room for them to get much worse and he's additionally very well paid when compared to his peers on the county circuit. Return on that investment has been non existent.

      Delete
  9. The seasons over for an outside promotion position for both teams, Friday both sets were going through the motions and knew neither side had a chance of promotion.
    The questions now should be looking towards 2027 and without Maddo.
    If MA is still here then I will be writing off 2027 again as I can't see anything other than a season of failure, as I understand finances will be tighter next year.
    It seems every year under him ends up with us rebuilding the team for the next year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 2 shockers by the umpire this morning already (Day 4)


    Michael

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!