He has improved immeasurably over the course of the summer. I don't think too many people expected him to be on the staff in 2027, when this summer started, but his progress under the watchful eye of Chris Wright has been remarkable.
I also think, as with Ben Aitchison, that his increased confidence in his body has been a contributory factor. His performances in the Vitality Blast were excellent and he showed growing confidence with varied pace and length.
He's also a terrific fielder and has shown through the summer that he is more than capable with the bat. It could well be that by the end of this two years he is seen as a genuine all-rounder, like Chappell, Aitchison and Moore.
To be fair to Derbyshire, without Chappell, Moore, Brown and Reece this year they have done well to remain competitive, especially in the red ball format. If they can get all of them fit for next season, the attack will take on a different dimension.
Congratulations Nick. Like everyone else, I can only say that this contract is a deserved reward for what has clearly been a lot of hard work.
Onwards and upwards!
He has done really well & his contract extension is well deserved. Perhaps there is a wider lesson here in that we should not expect too much from pace bowlers in their early twenties.
ReplyDeleteMarkB
Good news, especially as we might be losing Ben Aitchison after next season? Potts has really come on and runs in with a real purpose now. Kris
ReplyDeleteI have no doubt there will be interest in Ben, but I am equally sure that Mickey Arthur will do the best he can for a new contract. I am hopeful we will see him beyond next year and that can only be good news!
DeleteExcellent news bout Nick Potts. He's developing into a really quick bowler, and he's showing that he can handle a bat.
ReplyDeleteDownthewicket