Derbyshire 131 (Jewell 33, Sharma 4-36) and 111-3 {Montgomery 38, Madsen 32* Roland-Jones 2-24)
Middlesex forfeited 1st innings
Match drawn
There simply wasn't the time to do anything else, especially with rain and bad light likely to intervene from 4pm. Such a game needs the agreement of both sides, of course and it appears that wasn't there today.
Middlesex opted to bowl Derbyshire out twice and even the home side's known fragility made that unlikely. Having said that, neither Caleb Jewell nor Brooke Guest can have been happy with early decisions that suggested either glasses or contact lenses had been left in the pavilion by the umpire. Meanwhile, Martin Andersson played probably his worst shot of the season in giving slip catching practice to slip, with Naavya Sharma ending the first fifteen minutes of play with three wickets that somewhat overstated the quality of play.
Jewell trudged off with the air of a man whose second season failed to match anyone's expectations and an average of just 22 was that of an average county bat, not the high pressure role of gun overseas. Derbyshire will hope for - will need - much more from someone next season. His second dismissal, early in the afternoon, had an air of inevitability that was almost painful.
An in-swinging yorker from Sharma was enough for Aitchison and Dal edged Helm to the safe hands of Cracknell, his fourth catch of the innings. Then Bashir padded up to an inswinger and was leg before, first ball and an overnight 79-3 had become 101-9 in just eight overs of batting. It appears nothing collapses quite like Derbyshire and supporter concerns about the direction of the club will continue with such displays and their alarming frequency.
There was greater resilience a second time but it was hard to understand the visiting game plan. With the game drifting, it was an opportunity to rest Roland-Jones and Higgins, who had recently returned from a lengthy absence, yet they both bowled lengthy spells as batting appeared to get easier. Derbyshire didn't attempt to force the pace either, so the innings forfeit proved to be only a red herring, as the game meandered slowly and inexorably to the draw.
With the cricket lacking intensity and bad light eventually bringing the game to an early close, my mind moved on to related matters.
I don't expect Anuj Dal to be at the club next year and his demeanour at the crease is a long way from that of the player who looked set to be a good county all-rounder a few years back. If he is now a bowler who bats a bit, he also needs to take more wickets than the eleven he has in an albeit truncated season. Perhaps he needs a new environment, or plans to move to the next phase of his life outside the game, but I would be surprised if he was at the club in 2027
To be fair, Brooke Guest has also declined as a batter and one has to ask why. He is a player I have always liked and he is better than a mid-twenties average, or should be, as he approaches his cricketing prime. Losing the effectiveness of two previously key players in the middle order is costing Derbyshire dearly. Let's not forget that only Bill Storer, among Derbyshire wicket-keepers, has more centuries than Brooke, so the talent and technique is there.
I feel he needs a niche in the side and, like a good few others before him, is probably less productive the longer he has to wait to bat. He opened the batting for Australia under-19s and was at his most prolific for Derbyshire when batting three. I'd move him up the order in the remaining games, shake things up a little.
If Wayne Madsen plays red ball next summer - and that is yet to be confirmed - it will almost certainly be his last year and the challenge will be to find a way to revitalise and galvanise the batting lineup. With finance an issue, the solution is not immediately obvious.
But of course, one option has been ignored in this match. With the season effectively dead, what is the point in playing the old maestro? With Jewell now returning to Australia, surely his berth in the side, if not position in the order, should go to Yusuf Bin Naeem? If he got a couple of innings under his belt, it would be something to hold on to, something to illustrate that the work in the Pathway and second team is valued, something to suggest that the ultimate successor might, indeed, be in the building.
Mickey Arthur will say he wants a strong finish, of course, but to most Derbyshire fans, does it really matter if we finish fourth or eighth? Isn't this also now the opportunity to let Nye Donald follow up on his contract signing assertion?
“I want to expand my game to all formats and be a player Mickey and Wayne can rely on in red ball cricket too, because we were so close to promotion and getting to Division One would mean so much to the whole Club and especially our Members.”
Why not try it? Why not go to Bristol on Wednesday with this team, allowing for fitness?
Came, Guest, Naeem, Montgomery, Donald, Andersson, Dal, Aitchison, Potts, Randell, Bashir/Morley
By the way, I still maintain that Matt Stewart should have got that short term deal, not Will Rogers. I will die on that particular hill.
No disrespect to the young left-armer, but there was far greater merit in playing a 19-year old and raw 'one of our own', than a near-24 year old who isn't. If novelty value alone was the rationale, I don't get it, as the weight of wickets hasn't been there in second team cricket and I'm not convinced they would follow at a level higher.
In closing tonight, over at Lord's Mohammad Abbas finished with nine wickets in the match for Pakistan against England, just two less than he managed for Derbyshire in five appearances.
Why is this?
Maybe I need to reflect on it...
Postscript: Donald is in the European T20 League now, of course...
Enter Amrit Basra, under the same idea...
I didn’t bother travelling today as the weather forecast was for rain this afternoon which never arrived, flicking between watching Derbyshire and the football I couldn’t believe the commentator on YouTube was actually talking about the possibility of a Derbyshire victory, if both captains couldn’t agree on total for Middlesex to chase they might as well just played for first innings points, I remember a game at Abbydale when Dean Jones was captain David Byas the Yorkshire captain wanted Derbyshire to agree to chase around 400 on the last day Dean Jones reply was “have you ever played this ********* game before?
ReplyDeleteYusuf Ben Naeem and Nye Donald in the side for the next match.....
ReplyDeletecouldn't agree more Steve!
Chapel Guy
Good summary again. One of M.A stranger comments came after the heavy defeat by Durham when he said all of our players want to play international cricket and they now know what they need to do. Most people who play village cricket would probably quite like to play for England but I’m not to sure they will. In truth if Derbyshire now put every single player on the transfer list how many would be snapped up by any other county I’d say 4 at the most. I think that sums up where we are as a club and another couple of years under Mickey Arthur if a couple of teams are culled from the county championship I’d should imagine we would be favourites
ReplyDeleteWe're never going to set the world alight but at least if we had a fresh start for next season it might brighten things up a bit. If nothing changes it's going to very stale and depressing couple of years.
ReplyDeleteSteve, I think the answer to your question is that the culture around Derbyshire is not adequately focused on winning. If players feel they are part of an unsuccessful team, their performances will reflect that. Another aspect of the same cultural weakness is an inability to perform well under pressure and perhaps ‘this is why players with talent such as Came and Guest rarely deliver when it matters. Personally, I do think it matters whether Derbyshire finish fourth or eighth. If young players think it doesn’t matter, their performances will reflect that and the history of failure is sure to be perpetuated.
ReplyDeleteThanks for your excellent report.
ReplyDeleteI’ve just heard MA interview, and it sounds like he will be back next year.
I think the disappointment often expressed is in part due to expectations being higher than usual at the start of the season. After just missing out on promotion last year, and then adding signings like Montgomery, Abbas, and Bashir to the team, there was a sense that better times lay ahead.
Unfortunately, none of these players have performed as expected, and the form of other players in the squad has dipped. When interviewed, MA has been very positive about the team making progress; however, because people cannot see any evidence, they may be starting to think they are hearing the same old record. Once this starts to occur without an improvement in results, it becomes increasingly difficult to win people over.
In defence of Micky, I find some of the criticism of him regarding player development to be unfair. He gave Harry Moore his debut at 16 years of age. If he considers the other young players to be not good enough or not yet ready, why should he put them in the team?
Dre
I have to say, while I feel Mickey has had a difficult season due to number of factors
ReplyDeleteThat said, I do wonder whether Abbas perhaps underestimated the demands of Division 2 and didn’t give the division the respect it deserved. Having had such an unbelievable career in Division 1, it may have been a mindset issue — perhaps believed that be lot easier than it proved to be. There have certainly been glimpses of what he can do, but the way he has bowled in this series makes you question whether his approach was right, or whether he was perhaps trying to peak for the Test series because of the value and opportunities that could come from performing there.
I completely agree that the batting has gone backwards, and I think we have to seriously consider a change in batting coach. I thought Ben Smith did a very good job in his first year or two, but perhaps the group now needs a new voice, fresh ideas and a different approach. Mickey himself has spoken in the past about how, with a group of players, your voice and your methods can only have the same impact for so long. Sometimes a fresh perspective is needed.
More than anything, I feel we need to promote youth and make sure the club and Mickey are both properly aligned and refreshed going into 2027. From the outside, it feels obvious that something needs to change because the current approach simply hasn’t produced what we hoped for this year.
If it were my decision, I would look seriously at bringing in an overseas captain who is a batsman. I’m not sure what the budget would allow, but perhaps there could be some money with Madsen having a reduced role next year. For me, though, it’s not just about having a captain because of their ability as a player. We need a big character — someone who can genuinely lead, rally the troops, lift standards and have a real impact in the dressing room.
I feel we are missing two or three strong leaders within the group at the moment. Bin Naeem is still young, but clearly he must have shown strong leadership qualities to captain the Second XI, so I would hope Mickey recognises that and gives him opportunities to develop those qualities within the first-team environment. Reassurance him that he will back him and play him strongest position.
I really hope Mickey can make some of these changes going forward. I think this needs to be viewed as a long-term rebuild rather than simply trying to fix one season. We need to get the balance right, give the younger players a genuine pathway, bring some fresh voices into the coaching setup and, importantly, make sure players are being used in their strongest positions.
Wish I could disagree with your comments, but even I cannot.
ReplyDeleteI will add the following, was there today, batting first innings was woeful but what a great decision and by Louis De Ploy, not expected at all.
Donald I thought he was in the Euro 20/20, I have not seen him around the club this game , (Normally where we sit the players tend to go past if they go to the nets, and I haven't seen him).
Regarding finances, I have now heard from 2 unrelated parties the playing budget will be £150,000.00 less next year.
Regarding young players, my mate who goes most second team matches as well as first, is equally dumbfounded with the decision in regards to Stewart and Rogers. I will not say what he thinks of the bowling!, As a club and I have had a belief for a long time that developing our young was the way forward, that was why I was absolutely incensed with Barnett's plan that ended up cutting ties with Staffordshire. In general and I know there are exceptions but having other counties injury prone or has-beens is not the right way forward. I still don't get why we have had
signed Randell?
Overseas i don't have a problem with Jewell, but I do with Abbas as you have alluded to. Once again I have argued for years we should be looking for a overseas player who is looking to progress and is hungry to make an impression. OK I expect it won't be successful every season but will never criticise this way. As for overseas who are getting on and have done the rounds at other counties.......
The last I leave to the best batsman and all around man in my time, Maddo. I still think he won't be back, however if he is for one last season then I do believe Maddo's role needs to significantly change
Not just in the championship but in the 20/20 and one day cup games I have seen him appear to act like the defacto captain and I don't think that is fir on Maddo and the captain of the day.
If Maddo does continue he needs to bat solely as a lower order batsman, with no/little say in team matters, ans with whoever is the captain not turning to him for help when there is a problem!
The last thing I want to see his Maddo's time at the club at all soured.
Martin
I don't think the red ball season has been too bad personally. I think it's ironic that we hammered Lancs and by the time we played Durham in the next 4 day game, everyone was on a downer. But this was entirely due to the white ball, which was poor. With all due respect, this Durham side are a class above any Derbyshire side this millennium and 2 of the 5 defeats were against them. Lancs away was the stinger for us, without that we are looking at possible promotion. Kris
ReplyDeleteIt looked it at the time, Kris. I knew then that there were bigger fish to fry and if we couldn't chase 130 with all the time in the world, the signs were not good.
DeleteLosing to that Gloucs side was poor too. Half their points this year came against us in that game
I'd go with the following for the remaining dead rubbers:
ReplyDeleteCame
Wagstaff
Guest (wk)
Bin Naeem
Montgomery
Anderssen
Dal
Potts
Aitchison
Stewart
Bashir
Some interesting observations from the above comments.
ReplyDeleteAll I can say is that it all seems mess. Leaving injuries to one side, we have players who seem to be going backwards in their batting (Guest, Came and Dal), overseas who haven't delivered, and young players who have lacked opportunities. We also have one of the most explosive batsmen anywhere - Donald -, who is not playing red ball. Madsen is on his way out, but, so far, Montgomery doesn't look like a replacement. Only Aitchison and Andersson have impressed consistently, while Haydon, Morley and Potts have shown promise.
Downthewicket
Absolutely zero interest now in the end of this season, Derbyshire just strangle the life out of the game, forever perennial failures 'led' by Mickey Arthur who has failed here make no mistake about it. I really hope he sees that he's failed abd does the honourable thing and resigns at the end of the season. The rain has saved him in this game
ReplyDelete