Saturday 13 November 2021

Weekly roundup

My plaster comes off on Monday, I am pleased to say. A splint comes next and in a couple of weeks, physiotherapy, Not been the easiest of times, but getting there, after three weeks.

Which is more than can be said for our Head of Cricket search, which is akin to waiting for Godot. That didn't end in the expected fashion, either.

Someone asked me in the week why I was so concerned over the timescale, and the answer was quick and simple. Because I care and have concerns over our future. 

We are short of players and if we get this appointment wrong may have a second successive summer like the one just ended. Imagine that summer with Hudson-Prentice, Critchley, Hosein and Reece missing and welcome 2022.

We can ill-afford another bad year, but the new HOC, whoever he is, will have a free hit this year. I would still be surprised if it was Mickey Arthur, and for my main concern takes you forward 10-12 months.

This time next year, Wayne Madsen, Billy Godleman and Leus du Plooy are all out of contract. I would like to think that their deals would be sorted in good time, but if we appoint someone who sees us only as a fall back position and is off to pastures new in that timescale, we have major issues. 

Thankfully there are still players out there who are available, but I would be surprised if Ed Moulton returned to the Incora County Ground. He was released by Lancashire this week, but I didn't see enough in him during his loan spell to suggest a longer-term deal.

He is a tidy bowler, but the stock ball appeared to be the in swinger. He seemed some way back behind Messrs Aitchison, Conners and Cohen, while Nick Potts and Dusty Melton will be pushing for game time too.

Maybe this week will bring some news... 

4 comments:

  1. By the sounds of that, is Reece going to miss most or all of the season then.?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was announced in early September that recovery would be between six and nine months, from surgery to his shoulder and his knee.

      So that could take us to June and I suspect his bowling workload will be very light, as he builds them up again.

      In my opinion he was overworked and the body eventually rebels.

      Delete
  2. Good to hear the rehab going well Steve.


    It’s very clear that the next 12 months could be the biggest 12 months in Derbyshire ccc history. My concern is that while Derbyshire still hunting for new HOC there be no change in structure at the top with advisory board from my knowledge. The chairman who comes across as very pleasant gentleman but you don’t see much leadership from from Mr Morgan. It feels from a spectator point view that we are being played by Mickey Arthur keeping his cards very close to his chest just in case a better offer comes his way. I feel Derbyshire should demand a coach with a vision for the club. We shouldn’t be looking at coaches with great reputation at international level but waiting to see best offer on table. That not how to start a relationship with its poor foundation for the future in my opinion. My gut instinct is that Derbyshire haven’t got a real vision and haven’t got proper leadership and they are pinning all there hopes on a coach with a reputation at international level. We need someone who has identity of how they want to play cricket and how they going to develop young players at county level. It’s long term project and can’t see that clubs has solid vision at this moment in time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree, Gary.

      My concern here is that we are hell bent on a publicity coup, but with no consideration of longevity. It is all well and good having a big name, but if we are merely a 'better than being unemployed' option, I can't get behind it.

      I want a coach who wants to make Derbyshire into a force again and spend the time doing so. Not just using us as a stop gap.

      If Mickey wants that too, fair play. But I have concerns and don't appear to be alone in that.

      Delete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!