Wednesday 17 November 2021

Mickey Arthur is new Head of Cricket

I have to say the odds on my writing that kind of headline never crossed my mind when I started writing this blog..

On the face of it, a man who has been coach of South Africa, Australia, Pakistan and Sri Lanka in turn is a stellar appointment. He has been a success at top level coaching and this is probably a bigger surprise than anything since the appointment of Dean Jones, a quarter of a century ago. 

I have to say I have reservations, so may as well state them at this early stage. Of course I wish him well, as  I want the best for my/your/our club. If he gets us pushing for promotion in four day cricket and out of the T20 group stages then I will be first to applaud and admit I was wrong.

But my concern is his lack of expertise and experience with non-elite players. As I said in a previous piece where I coincidentally mentioned him, the gig is quite different, and only time will tell if he has the requisite skill set. He has 'only' coached at international level for the past sixteen years and will face totally different challenges. Not least a very small Derbyshire squad with only one wicket-keeper, that has just lost its most prolific batsman and lead spinner, as well as a very talented seam bowling all rounder and a well-liked wicket-keeper batsman whose best years were ahead of him. Not to mention a raft of players struggling to establish themselves at this level. 

A bigger issue is whether we are merely a short-term port in a storm. His contract in Sri Lanka ended with the World Cup and the career path of South Africa to Australia, then Derbyshire via Pakistan and Sri Lanka is a curious and unconventional one. I just hope we aren't looking for someone new at this time next year, or earlier, the coach lured by a bigger and more lucrative international role, where his track record would make him a big target. 

Those services won't come cheap, of course, so I also hope a condition of the role isn't that he can take on a coaching role in the new competition mid-season, or head off to one of the franchises in the winter months. I assume we won't have Dominic Cork back for the T20, so his salary will presumably help cover for some of Arthur's costs. 

Derbyshire need (and deserve) a full time coach who knows county cricket and has a network of contacts to attract good overseas players. I am not sure how many county players he will know, but suspect his close friendship with John Morris may prove useful, as will his support coaches. He will know plenty of players overseas, an area of recruitment where I expect to see major improvement. 

He is a very good, well-liked and respected coach of high reputation. If he can bring in the right overseas players and players respond to him, then all well and good. I would love to see him galvanise a relatively young squad and take us forward, use high-class motivational skills and promote/develop the academy products. He would doubtless do a very good interview and impress a panel with a CV of that nature. 

Is he right for Derbyshire?

If it lasts, yes. My only concern is will it be for long enough to make a real difference? 

We will see, but we at least have a Head of Cricket fit for the role. Definitely, by any standards a stellar appointment. 

It goes without saying that I wish him all the luck in the world and he will have my backing, like that of all county supporters.

We will play aggressive cricket under Mickey. In itself, that will make a refreshing change. He starts after the forthcoming Sri Lanka Test series against West Indies and I am sure we will all look forward to seeing if he can bring the sparkle back to Derbyshire cricket.

If we can get three years from him, he may just 'do a Barlow'.. 

10 comments:

  1. Morning Peakfan, I’m glad you are recovering well.
    That is great news, about Mickey Arthur am delighted with the appointment. I think we should take your first comment Mickey Arthur, Head of Cricket at face value. Brilliant. It is accepted that he is one of the great coaches, so I think today should be one of celebration. Also, I think we should congratulate Ian Morgan and the rest of the recruitment team for this appointment, well done to you all. With Mickey in charge I am sure the opportunity to recruit the right overseas players in particular has increased significantly. Like you let us hope he has the same impact as Eddie Barlow. Well done Derbyshire County Cricket Club, and I’m looking forward to next season already. Clay Cross Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pleased with that. You have to be realistic and say fair play to the board, they couldn't really have got a more accomplished name.

    Only time will tell whether he's the right 'fit' for all the reasons you've mentioned but there is no such thing as a guaranteed success regardless of who you get.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have to assume he has done his own due diligence on Derbyshire and he understands that the majority of the players he will be working with will be no where near elite standard

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you mention how long his initial contract was, how many years. Or is it, year by year.?
    He should be knowledgable on who might be available as an overseas player, whether from Sri Lanka or elsewhere.
    (as I said in a previous post, Cameron Green is one to go for)
    It's a tough job, but it could be a very rewarding one for all concerned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This article quotes his resignation email and as I mentioned in my next blog, it is a 3 year deal

      https://cricketaddictor.com/cricket-news/mickey-arthur-to-step-down-as-sri-lankas-head-coach-after-west-indies-series-set-to-join-derbyshire-as-director-of-cricket/

      Delete
  5. I don't agree that all our players are below elite standard, as many performed below their career averages last season. Nobody can tell me that Reece, Godleman, Madsen and Du Plooy aren't at the very least talented cricketers. If nothing else, this is finally some positive news, after plenty of bad. Kris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would regard elite as international standard, Kris. Those you mention are very good cricketers, but not that.

      Madsen might have been, but we will never know. Du Plooy could be, with the right coach.

      Hopefully Mickey brings out the best in him!

      Delete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!