Wednesday 17 November 2021

The challenge facing Mickey Arthur

The appointment of Mickey Arthur to the role of Head of Cricket at Derbyshire will undoubtedly be a talking point in cricketing households around the world in coming days.

It is a big appointment for Derbyshire, but also for county cricket.

He is a huge name and I was surprised when I heard that he had applied for the role. My reservations on the previous post may attract comment, but I always consider different perspectives and I feel they are valid. 

He has, however, signed a three - year deal, according to reports from Sri Lanka, so any approach for his services between times would doubtless see Derbyshire compensated. That assuages some of my earlier concerns, when I feared his stay might be little longer than that of an Amazon delivery driver at your door... 

Reports add that his preference was to stay there, adding 'all I wanted from Sri Lanka cricket was an indication that you were happy with how I was doing my job'. Their loss may well turn out our gain. 

Tim Dale Lace, a respected South African cricket writer, told me:

I think he may put you at ease. He played 15 seasons for a very unfancied side and often beat the big guns.

 Also before becoming South Africa coach he coached two teams similar in stature to Derbyshire to a white ball T20 final, as well as a 50 over one. Both teams had at most 2 South African international players

Adding a stint in English County cricket to a CV is never a bad thing and Mickey takes over a club in the doldrums. We were much the same when Eddie Barlow arrived and the only way was then and is now upwards. 

As I wrote last week, he has a free hit in 2022, because he has inherited someone else's squad. Once he gets in post he will quickly identify what he has to work with and will undoubtedly attract a lot of interest from out of contract players seeking a trial.

There must be money available, though finite, so the coming months will be fascinating to watch. So too the season ahead. 

As was the case with Eddie Barlow  in 1976, Mickey inherits a squad that is not without talent. There is a clutch of talented young seam bowlers, as well as a top four that SHOULD be better than their returns last year. While Luis Reece's involvement will be limited, at least in early season, getting the best from Wayne Madsen, Billy Godleman and Leus du Plooy will be key to progress.

All of them will be out of contract at the end of 2022. The new man will look at what they offer and  work out if they remain good value for the club. Wayne and Billy will be the highest earners by some distance, so their returns must be seen to match that outlay.

I suspect he will help them rediscover their best form and will be a welcome boost to other players too. Coming from outside, it will be interesting to see where he goes with the captaincy. 

He will hopefully quickly secure the services of Anuj Dal, before turning attention to the crucial overseas roles.

This will be a challenge, with the perenially-congested international calendar, but he will know plenty of players! I suspect that Pakistan and Sri Lanka may be obvious sources and I wouldn't say no to the hugely talented Wanindu Hasaranga, the leg-spinning Sri Lankan all rounder, for the T20.

But it is Mickey Arthur's job and I am hopeful and confident that he will do a good one. Much as he did in Sri Lanka, bringing through some talented young players to compete well on the world stage. All the stories I have read suggest him very popular and respected by players, so that augurs well.

So too does the quick response from players on Twitter, Wayne Madsen hailing it 'brilliant news', while both Mikey Cohen and Dusty Melton professed their excitement. 

With local sport in the doldrums, this is a welcome boost and the coming months should offer plenty of food for thought and excitement for Derbyshire supporters. 

Well done too to those who got this over the line. I was doubtful, but am happy to acknowledge a job well done. 

Make sure you check in on the blog on a regular basis for the latest news. And please feel free to donate if you are disposed to doing so. You can use the button on the left of the blog, paying either a one-off amount or a monthly donation.

All of which helps to keep a stylus-wielding, temporarily one-handed blogger motivated and happy! 

15 comments:

  1. Fantastic news! This feels like when Eddie Barlow joined the club. I watched the interview with Mickey on the DCCC web site, and I was impressed by how passionate he seemed about cricket and in getting the best out of players. He's ambitious, which is what we need. It's interesting that two of his mentors when he was learning the game were Eddie Barlow and Fred Swarbrook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he seems an easy guy to like. If he has a bit of Eddie and Fred he will do me!

      Delete
  2. Glad to hear you are recovering,Peakfan.
    As a DCFC fan and a miserable day yesterday this has cheered me considerably. At lst the Board have shown some ambition, and I hope that is matched in the recruitment budget. As Mickey homself says it will take time, but his credentials speak for themselves. I have no doubt he will transfer to the county game without any problem. Indeed it is hard to visualise how this could not result in improvement. Trophies? We'll see, but I already like the assertion that to be the best fielding side in the country is "non-negotiable" as far as MA is concerned. Fighting talk!
    Well done dcfc and good luck, Mickey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers Phil.

    Yes, trophies are maybe down the line, but get us competing, starring in the field, standing toe to toe with opponents. Will do me!

    For starters..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you tell us who the other contender was now that Mickey has been appointed please PF?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grant Bradburn. We were really spoilt having two such candidates. Only someone with Arthur's credentials could have been chosen over him.

      I still feel his background a better fit, but we cannot complain now we have a coach of such reputation.

      Down the line I would take Bradburn at Derbyshire in a heartbeat...

      Delete
  5. You have to be happy with this appointment, but also feel a little apprehensive in the process. I will be pretty amazed if he sees his three years out, think somebody else will come calling some county or country who can offer him a lot better opportunities . This will be his biggest career challenge by far, so good luck Mickey and get the lads challenging and make us competitive

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I share your concerns, but our coaches have historically been on one year rolling deals.

      Mickey's 3 year deal should mean, assuming we aren't daft, that anyone wanting him would have to pay up the remainder of his deal first.

      As you say, can't be upset at this,my morning concerns excepted

      Delete
  6. I see no negatives in this appointment and frankly I’m amazed that some have reservations. Every appointment comes with an element of risk. However, this guy is the most qualified and experienced coach in world cricket, Fact! We are lucky to have him. If he can’t turn our club around with his experience and world contacts then frankly nobody can. Welcome Mickey . Can’t wait for April now .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My reservations, expressed earlier, were based on the valid concern that we usually appoint on a one year rolling basis. Also on the difference as explained by John Wright between County and international coaching.

      However, Mickey is a highly experienced coach we are lucky to have. Our vacancy came at the right time and the club did well to get it across the line.

      The summer promises to be more exciting than some of late.

      Like most on here, I look forward to it already!

      Delete
  7. Sounds like great news - Peakfan has made my day ! Rather disappointed by the lack of wider coverage but perhaps due to (i) my Derbyshire head (ii) the Rafiq stuff (iii) November

    I agree with the doubts expressed by Peakfan regarding the non-elite nature of the squad but surely, surely this would not turn out to be a surprise after the interview process. Surely.

    The three year contract is also reassuring against this concern.

    Maybe he is just after a good old challenge with little old Derbyshire. Let's hope so

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure Arthur is fully aware he is not dealing with elite players! Only Madsen would come close to reminding him of what he has been used to working with...

      I was actually wavering about renewing my membership as I don't get to see them as much now but I will as this appointment confirms we mean business.

      It could be the start of some interesting times at DCCC. He's not one to hide his emotions and I've got a feeling this could be fun. I don't think Arthur is the type to jump ship at the first sign of a different opportunity elsewhere. A 3 year contract confirms commitment on both sides and let's face it he is going to need that long! No doubt this is a coup for the club, it seems like he is up for the challenge and boy has he got one! Like everyone else I wish him the best of luck. Come on Mickey let the good times roll!!

      Delete
    2. I don’t know his motive the same as everyone else. However, travelling the world from hotel room to hotel room must be taxing on your mental health I’d have thought. especially after so many years in different appointments. My guess he just wants to settle down , put down some routes in England which so many Saffas are doing these days. And why not Gods county? Less pressure than the Lords job and much better scenery . As for our non elite squad I’m sure he will know what he’s taking on. You don’t get offered a test team without a great lower standard record. I’m sure he’s supremely confident he can affect change. I also don’t think like many that we are a million miles from a decent team. We definitely need a couple if top overseas or local signings. A strike bowler to compliment our young but inexperienced attack. Also maybe a spinner to replace Crich. Definatley an opening bat. I’m sure he can improve the rest of the staff and get them performing closer to their potential. The big plus for me is not only do I expect him to bring in some top players, his reputation will also make us a far more enticing option for players looking to move. I see know negatives to this appointment. Let’s be honest , up is the only way we can go anyway

      Delete
  8. I also see no negatives with this appointment. The worst case scenario is that we don't do very well, which is nothing new! If I was a player at the club or thinking of joining, this appointment would really excite me. Kris

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!