I had hoped that the 60th summer of my support of the side would have been better, but hope springs eternal and perhaps it is season 61 that will be the start of something special. All in good time...
Anyway, Derbyshire travel to Worcestershire tomorrow and Mickey Arthur has named a 13-man squad. There is no Ben Aitchison, missing this final game with a groin injury and there is no Brett Randell either, unable to play, as I suggested last week, under the terms of his NOC.
Muhammad Abbas will lead the attack and we must hope for a positive performance to take into the long, cold winter.
That Derbyshire squad:
Wayne Madsen, Harry Came, Martin Andersson,
Luis Reece, Shoaib Bashir, Jack Morley, Will Rogers, Matthew Montgomery, Yousaf Bin Naeem
Nick Potts, Brooke Guest, Muhammad Abbas,
Amrit Basra
Luis Reece, Shoaib Bashir, Jack Morley, Will Rogers, Matthew Montgomery, Yousaf Bin Naeem
Nick Potts, Brooke Guest, Muhammad Abbas,
Amrit Basra
Worcestershire will again be led by Brett D'Oliveira, who has had an excellent summer and has been granted a well-merited testimonial year in 2027.
Their squad:
Libby, Waite, Singh, Roderick, Edavalath, Taylor, Cullen, D'Oliveira, Gibbon, Lategan, Ali, O'Connor, Hose, Finch, Allison.
The winners of this game could finish fourth in the table and both sides have the same number of points going into the game.
The forecast is set fair and we must hope for a good game of cricket and hopefully the right result.
As the season comes to an end, so does our final holiday of the summer. We are currently in Berwick-upon-Tweed again and so I will see little of the first two days. I will create a page, as usual, for your comments and will approve them as soon as I have the time to do so.
It goes without saying I will be keeping an eye on the score and I look forward to seeing the final two days of the game - and indeed the season.
With so little between the teams it is hard to call the result, but a Derbyshire side short of so many first choice bowlers may find it hard to take 20 wickets here.
We will see.
Sad it’s the last championship game of the season. It does seem to fly past despite the break in July and August when there’s only a couple of games. Even though I personally much prefer watching spin bowlers to seamers the wickets at Worcestershire normally favour seamers and Worcester hardly ever play a front line spinner so I think to pick Morley and Bashir would be a strange choice. I’d be tempted to leave them both out and let Montgomery bowl the few overs of spin there’s likely to be
ReplyDeleteI really hope Basra gets a chance. Open Reece and YBN and slot Basra at 6 or 7. Ethan
ReplyDeleteThey had 149 points the last time I looked but apparently have had 2 points deducted for a slow over rate.
ReplyDeleteWhat a silly way to lose points.
Anyway, time for Abbas to have a 10 wicket haul.