Unless it is on an old fashioned 'sticky dog' pitch - and you won't get those, these days - a first class cricket team should not be bowled out in 154 balls. Of course the Durham bowling was excellent and when the four protagonists all have international experience it was always likely to be tough. But once again, in a situation where Derbyshire backs were against the wall, they crumbled.
I should say straight away that I haven't published all of the comments I received yesterday and overnight. Some crossed a line and were omitted accordingly, some made no sense to put in a public domain with MY name on the blog that published them. Derbyshire cannot 'sack' the Chief Executive, board members AND Head of Cricket, because they would then be put under emergency measures, a club in crisis. I have no doubt the ECB would love to reduce the first-class counties and we can't give them easy targets.
On the cricket field, they are in crisis of course. It doesn't seem too long since everyone enjoyed red ball success and were looking forward to the remainder of the season. That win over Lancashire at Chesterfield, the ones over Middlesex at Lord's and Northamptonshire at Derby - they played really good cricket and reaped the rewards.
Then came white ball and disappointment. Narrow defeats, bad defeats, unexpected defeats, unbelievable defeats. Defeats. Too many of them.
I didn't expect Derbyshire to beat Durham, but I did expect them to put up a semblance of resistance. It wasn't an easy pitch for batting, but then how often have we seen batting averages artificially massaged by moribund tracks at Derby in recent years? They should have tried uncovered pitches, or facing the relentless quicks of the 70s and 80s. Facing Garth le Roux and Imran Khan at Hove was no picnic, nor was facing Malcolm Marshall or Andy Roberts anywhere.
Mickey Arthur looked drained in his post-match interview. I have no doubt that he wants success at Derbyshire and has worked very hard to put something in place that he felt would work. He is a proud man and it is that pride that I feel would stop him from going to the board and saying 'I cannot do this any more'. He referred to 'giving the players all the information' and one has to question if they are being overloaded with it, if we are building opponents into something they are not.
Certainly, when up against teams with big name players, the tendency to play the name rather than the delivery coming down is a recurring theme. Maybe there needs to be greater focus on OUR strengths rather than theirs? On what they will be worried about, on sending our guys onto the pitch feeling like the master race, rather than lesser mortals?
I recall the story of Dave Mackay, sitting next to a visibly nervous John O'Hare on the Derby County team bus for a big game.
'See that fella there? He just asked his mate who that was, sitting next to John O'Hare', said the Derby skipper to the youngster. Boosting his confidence in one sentence.
I don't know, I'm not privy to dressing room secrets. But one has to ask how Darren Lehmann has made Northamptonshire so good this year? How has Richard Dawson got far more than the sum of its individual parts from Glamorgan? How has Paul Farbrace got his Sussex side to ignore the off-field shenanigans and be both very competitive and entertaining? They don't have all-international attacks or all-star batting lineups, but they have eleven players who rock up, roll up their sleeves and battle. The mentality is right.
I accept that Mickey Arthur has been unlucky with injuries, but has the 'loading' off season been right, to lose so many bowling options? He hasn't had a great deal of support from his overseas choices, although I do understand why Caleb Jewell got another deal on the back of 2025 and why we signed the 'guaranteed wickets until he donned a Derbyshire shirt' Mohammad Abbas.
But WHY have they failed? What is there in the environment that isn't working? You look at the bowlers and Aitchison, Haydon, Potts, Bashir and Morley have all improved year on year, maybe on the back of a fresh voice in their ear. Although still one questions having two non-batting spinners on the staff, when they will likely play together once every couple of years, if that. A luxury that a club like Derbyshire cannot afford, especially if Bashir loses his central contract. With the budget, can the club afford players who are clearly only single-format options? We have a few of them.
The batters? I am not having a go at Ben Smith, acknowledged as a good coach, but aside from Martin Andersson and Nye Donald, who among our batters has got better? Is another new voice needed, or is the pressure exuded from the top unhelpful?
Mickey can't help himself in interviews. Whether they are 'entertainment machines' playing 'sexy cricket', or yesterday claiming we are still in contention for promotion. Technically yes, but we had lost four matches, now five. Promotion candidates don't usually do that and both Kent and Northamptonshire should be well clear of Derbyshire by the end of today.
'We've learned what the standards are..the gulf between us and them is massive...we are still in the hunt...'
Are we? Don't such conflicting assertions pile on pressure? Why not take it a game at a time, see how it lands? Talk promotion in September but accept the reality that we are, at best, a mid-table side right now, especially with the injuries and the overseas challenges. If I can see that, surely the players can?
I have had a few people ask me if a club like Derbyshire needs a batting coach AND a bowling coach AND an analyst AND someone 'being strategic' and doing team talks? It does seem top heavy, an elite structure when not necessarily required. Phil Russell had no one and did pretty well. Surely there is a middle ground?
They are in a pickle, one of their own making. To reward five years of mediocrity with a two-year extension was staggering, but from this distance, unless Mickey Arthur does the honourable thing and admits he has gone as far as he can and will leave, there appears no way out.
They can't afford to pay off those two years AND have the resources to change things. Maybe that's a bullet worth biting, because as things stand I don't see improvement in that period anyway. Maybe, just maybe, a different voice, ethos, mentality might help? Appoint from within, take out a coaching tier/role for two years and then review?
There are potentially winnable games in the remainder of the red ball season but they will play Middlesex without Brett Randell, who will miss at least the next seven days under concussion protocols. Hopefully he recovers quickly from that nasty blow yesterday, but supporters have taken a few themselves. I don't do social media, other than this and X, but I understand that even the usually more restrained are struggling.
My concern, from my ever-growing mailbag, is that in two years time the already small membership has dwindled still further. That supporters already disenchanted by the fixture scheduling will vote with their feet and find other interests. That 'doing nothing' was seen as the clearest possible acceptance of mediocrity.
There is no easy answer here. But doing nothing is the least palatable option. I know what 'Derbyshire's Mickey Arthur' brings to the club, that he has a seat at the top table, that he has lots of contacts, that players want to play for Mickey Arthur, et cetera, et cetera.
But after FIVE seasons of mediocrity, two more of the same is not something to whet many appetites.
A change of luck will help. Better overseas input would go a long way. He needs a gun overseas bat for 2027 and beyond, an all rounder for T20. Match winners, guys with the right mentality and the appetite for the battle.
But even positive old me, sixty years a supporter, nineteen years a blogger, struggles to see things slowly start to improve, unless there is an acceptance of the need to shake things up and start things off.
As you have been following Derbyshire as long as me Peakfan you must have had to do what I have once again decided to do. See the funny side: as you may have gathered from my post on the Durham game.
ReplyDeleteLet's face it. As much as we'd like to think otherwise our opinions are of only marginal interest to those who run the club and we aren't going to suddenly stop supporting the club are we?
Cause not.
We will probably improve a bit again soon and this current performance will fade away into the distance.
Derbyshire will continue to be also rans and we will just put up with it.
Maybe some time before we shuffle off this mortal coil they might do something good but if they don't so be it.
It really was a lovely dog!
Well reluctantly my wife and I stopped being members at the end of last season.
DeleteLosing was not the be all and end all but we had slipped so far behind.
I recall many of the T20 games that quite frankly we ranked no better than minor counties. we left the ground embarrassed.
So this year. Never felt temped to return. They have got worse if possible. It's all very sad.
It's interesting that over the course of this (very good) article you question or allude to others questioning just about everything.
ReplyDeleteThis for me shows the extent of the discontent amongst the club's fan base.
The fact people are questioning whether we should have batting and bowling coaches or analysts is wild though, we're a professional club and these are a given. We ahould indeed have an elite coaching structure because you can be sure that without it we definitely won't attract decent players nor develop them. There's an argument that's the status quo however the one element that's clearly not elite is the head coach, there is only so long he can dine out on yesterday's achievements as he's not in touch with modern cricket at this level.
He has to go, the cost of not getting rid of him in terms of supporter apathy and discontent is far higher than the cost of paying him off. Memberships will be well down next season already and a fresh face could avert that.
I'm very jealous of what Dawson is doing at Glamorgan. Positive cricket, young players getting chances. And indeed Northants who are a strong multi format side.
We're totally rudderless and going nowhere under MA and that's been clear for sometime.
Much talk about how good Durham's attack is - yes, to a point, but Derbyshire's batsmen made part-time county dobber Will Rhodes look like Glenn McGrath. Bizarrely, and for the first time in years, the home groundsman gave the top-of-the-league opposition a bowling pitch to die for and the Durham attack did what it needed to do - bowl at the stumps - which resulted in 8/19 dismissals bowled and lbw and most of the others caught behind or in the cordon. It's maybe churlish to criticise such a legend, but how Madsen can take a guard about 2 feet outside off stump to an accurate international bowler and not expect to be lbw I don't know.
ReplyDeleteWe are far too nice. We need a few 'nasty' players like Durham have. I think we need a sports psychologist as well to sort out other issues when it comes to winning close matches
ReplyDeleteA thoughtful post, Steve, as always.
ReplyDeleteI have some sympathy with Mickey. You could see how frustrated he was from the interview on the club web site following the game. He said more than once that we’re “miles off” a team like Durham. In previous interviews he has said the players have all the necessary skills, but sometimes they fail to execute them.
I’ve said before, as others have who post on the blog, that in many games Derbyshire seem to have a poor collective winning mentality. Collapsititis is a symptom of this. Other than bringing in a sports psychologist, I don’t know what the answer to this problem is. A hypnotist maybe?
On paper, we have some good players, but, when it matters, we fail to win games. For example, in the T20 in 2024 we had the firepower of Donald, Whiteley and Patel in our batting, and a fit Pat Brown and Chappell leading the bowling attack, but we lost seven of our 13 games. In 2025, we lost nine of our 13 games.
I too look at Northants and Sussex, and wonder why we can’t emulate what they are doing.
Downthewicket
As ever Steve that is a very thought provoking article.
ReplyDeleteI'm a very infrequent poster but I do try and read the blog when I can.
For medical reasons I've suddenly found myself with a lot of time on my hands and I've used it in part to watch a series of interviews conducted largely by Dave Griffin with former Derbyshire players. One of these was Kim Barnett and he was clearly motivated as Captain by a wish to get other teams to take us seriously and give us respect, a task in which I think he succeeded. I don't think that we have that drive now and I suspect that Wayne Madsen only became captain again due to a complete lack of alternatives.
This is not a criticism of the Great Madsen himself but I think it does show how we have come to over rely on him. There has been much talk in the past about what we are going to do when Madders retires. As even his biggest admirers would reluctantly admit (and I'm definitely one of them) there are clear signs that his long day in the sun is at last drawing to a close. For once we have done some forward planning, with Matt Montgomery apparently lined up as the next Captain. I'm not sure if he is supposed to be Madder's replacement as a batter as well but a career batting average of just over 30 and two FC 100s would suggest that this is somewhat optimistic if it is indeed the case. Indeed all our other batters have similar averages in the low 30s except for Madsen. Our reliance on the same players over the last few years for what are fairly meagre results in a time of batting plenty, shows up the short sightedness of not giving some youngsters a chance while Madsen was still able to carry us. Maybe Wagstaff or whoever would have been found wanting but at least we would have known and we could have looked for alternatives rather than keeping people on the staff for no particular purpose. As it is, we're simply left with the usual suspects.
Excellent comment Dom. I do hope you will get involved more, you are very welcome!
DeleteAmongst all your other salient comments you ask "who among our batters has got better. The simple answer is none - they have all got worse.
ReplyDeleteComparison of this years Championship performance for specialist batters and last years shows:
2026 2025
Innings Runs Average 100+ 50+ Innings Runs Average 100+ 50+
Caleb Jewell 15 332 22.13 0 2 22 1005 47.86 1 8
Harry Came 16 468 31.20 1 3 23 843 38.32 1 7
Matt Montgomery 16 424 30.29 0 3
Brooke Guest 14 376 26.86 1 1 22 651 36.17 0 5
Martin Andersson 14 559 39.93 2 1 16 714 47.60 3 3
Luis Reece 14 510 39.23 1 3 16 643 64.30 1 4
Anuj Dal 6 129 21.50 0 1 14 312 31.20 0 1
Wayne Madsen 12 449 40.82 1 2 22 1158 57.90 4 5
David Lloyd 16 377 23.56 0 2
Nye Donald 5 156 39.00 0 1
As a member how do I feel about MA being with us next season, the simple answer is that I am unlikely to be a member. To paraphrase Einstein, the definition of madness is to keep doing the same things & expect different outcomes. I can see absolutely nothing in terms of player development, signings or in what MA says in interviews that would lead me to believe that next year will be anything other than poor with MA in charge.
ReplyDeleteWhat we should do is part company with him. If that costs us money so be it. At present there is almost zero enthusiasm or positivity around the club. I fear leaving him in charge could actually kill the club
MarkB
This is one of the best posts I’ve ever seen on this blog. It is just so amazingly obvious things will not get any better under Arthur. No one expect Derbyshire to be world beaters but blimey at the moment we wouldn’t be many minor counties teams. Mickey Arthur is worst then a bad used car salesman. I admire anyone who watches the livestream anymore as for paying to watch at the ground I think £3 maximum and that would be if I lived next door
DeleteI’m not sure what to think about the biggest defeat in terms of runs in red ball history but accept 3 of Durhams bowlers are England class and thankfully Ben Raine was injured .!!
ReplyDeleteWe have been ravaged by injuries to bowlers but the collective resolve of the team seems to evaporate when the pressure is on
5 years into Arthur’s tenure I’m not sure we have moved on and it’s probably time to reassess . I doubt Mickey will instigate that discussion .
In recent weeks I’ve prioritised playing golf and coaching or watching grass roots cricket.
Are we being too harsh? Leics have won more games than Surrey. We are above Lancs. Imagine how their fans feel, with all their riches! Kris
ReplyDeleteI don't think so, Kris. Lancashire plough most of their resources into T20. They have won 2 matches this year... One against us.
DeleteGloucestershire have picked up 41 points all season. They have lost 8 matches out of 9. Yet they beat us by 10 wickets and took 21 points from the game. Half of their points this year came against us.
For me, that is more damning than losing to Durham...
We played Kent into form, though. I hope they appreciate that. Dave.
DeleteI think there’s all sorts of trouble going on at Old Trafford the members are wanting an EGM the club secretary has resigned a lot of prominent ex players aren’t happy yes the club off the field financially is doing well but they are a shambles on it
DeleteI’ve always thought this blog has been a great read and a fantastic outlet for the Derbyshire fan base. But, in my opinion, the recent narrative feels less like constructive criticism and more like it is encouraging supporters to turn against Mickey Arthur.
ReplyDeleteI have absolutely no problem with questioning the coach.
He openly admitted that Derbyshire were well short of the standards Durham set. This isn’t a coach sitting in the pavilion pretending everything is fine. What more do people realistically expect him to say?
And perhaps we also need to recognise what Derbyshire were up against. Durham have a very strong attack packed with international experience, and they bowled like an international-quality unit.
The suggestion that Mickey’s detailed preparation is somehow making the players worse is, frankly, speculation.
Why have several players improved under his leadership?
There is also a huge amount of context being overlooked.
At the start of the season, I think the majority of supporters would have agreed that Harry Came/Jewell was right combination to lead the line, and Jewell 2025 form was a big part of the optimism around the team.
Then look at the circumstances Derbyshire have had to deal with:
• Mohammad Abbas being called up.
• Dal, Brown, Moore, Hayden and Chappell all suffering injuries, leaving us without five bowling options for significant periods.
• Ghazanfar being called up after an excellent IPL season.
For a club with Derbyshire’s squad size, losing that many players and options is enormous. We simply don’t have the depth of some other counties to absorb those losses.
You could put the best coach in the world in charge and it wouldn’t magically create replacement players of the same quality.
That is why I think the conversation needs to be broader than simply “Mickey out”.
Perhaps the bigger question for the club is whether enough money and resources are going into the playing squad.
I’ve said previously that I think Derbyshire have a very good CEO in Ryan Duckett. Perhaps the challenge now is for the club to find a way of putting more investment into the actual cricketing side and giving the coaching team the depth of squad they need to compete consistently.
We also have to look at the resources available to other counties and the players they are able to attract and retain. It is difficult to compare Derbyshire’s results directly with clubs operating with significantly greater resources without taking that into account.
Knowing how cricket clubs work, and the politics that can exist within any organisation, it is impossible not to wonder whether there are people who would like to see the current coaching structure changed.
I am not suggesting that as fact, and I certainly wouldn’t accuse anyone of anything without evidence. But when an article repeatedly questions the coach’s methods, structure, relationships and future, while supporters are already frustrated, it is reasonable to ask where some of that narrative is coming from.
We should be careful not to allow supporters to become divided against the very people who are trying to improve the club.
Mickey Arthur isn’t above criticism. Neither are the players, the coaching staff or the board.
But after one very disappointing performance against a very strong Durham side, I don’t think calling for another major change is the answer. This could been team this year challenging Division 1 title
Let’s get behind the players. They are the ones walking onto that pitch and, whatever their shortcomings, I’m sure they are giving everything they have.
Let’s see what happens over the rest of the season before reaching the conclusion that Mickey Arthur is the problem.
Most importantly, let’s support Derbyshire.
And hopefully we can see a little less of the anti-Mickey narrative and a little more balance.
With respect, Gary, I call it as I see it. If you have read the blog over the 5 years that Mickey has been in charge, you will know I've often tried to be supportive when others have been less so.
DeleteI would like to think I present my thoughts - MY thoughts - and people can make up their own minds. I have no influence over the board, none over the team, I just present my opinion based on 60 years of supporting the club. I do this blog because I 'support Derbyshire' to use your words. It certainly isn't for the financial rewards..
I have and will always be behind the players that represent the county. But MY opinion is that 5 years is long enough for any coach to have shown that they can do a job, or not do a job.
The club board has decided that Mickey is worthy of another 2 years. That's fine, but it doesn't mean that I have to feel it is the correct decision. People can feel free to disagree with me at any point, but I will always be honest and give MY opinion. If I simply followed the party line, I might as well refer people to the club site and not bother.
If Mickey turns things around, I will be the first to congratulate him and will admit that he has proved me wrong. I don't think he will and I don't think that I am alone in being tired of the same old rhetoric after every defeat.
We are all supporters, which is why I do this and others contribute when they wish to do so. But you can still support and disagree with the direction of travel.
Gary, a well thought out post. Where I disagree with you on MA is because of the time he has had in post. The context you provide for this years performance is factually correct. But I think you need to look beyond that & where we are after 5 years of MAs leadership. I think those members suggesting change have been very patient but the fact is that I would not regard any of his years in charge as a success.
DeleteMarkB
People have their own minds and I wouldn’t have thought need any encouragement to turn against M. Arthur. The evidence is pretty overwhelming. It’s far from one loss against a very good team it’s more the fact of several other losses in all competitions and even allowing for injuries ( which all teams get) he never gives young players a chance or bring in loan players like every other club does to try and turn things around. There are plenty of other small non test or 100 ground playing counties. It’s not just poor little Derbyshire. Even at Gloucestershire I think you can see seeds of recovery and they are rebuilding with a eye on the future you can’t say that about Derbyshire
DeleteI admire your loyalty Gary although I think that loyalty to M A is misplaced.
DeleteWe are 5 years in and are in great danger of becoming an ex first class county.
There are many important voices in cricket who want the number of first class counties to be reduced. Leicestershire, Glamorgan and Northamptonshire have made a case to keep their status. Derbyshire have not.
We are top of the league when it comes to possibly becoming an ex first class county.
We need to act now but of course we won't.
I think we’re at a real cross roads for the board. For whatever reason, and I am sure that there any many that us supporters will never learn about, the Mickey Arthur has been an expensive failure (so far). Yes, I’m sure that we are probably not in a position to pay him off but the cost of not doing so could be far greater.
ReplyDeleteThere are many comments on social media about people not renewing their membership for next year or - indeed - whilst MA remains. I’m not a member myself (young family, career and distance mean it isn’t feasible) but have not felt any inclination to go to any games this year. It seems there are lots of people loosing interest, rapidly, and our great club is suffering.
There is lots of reference to the achievements of coaches like Dawson and Lehmann. One thing that seems to leap out to me is that they played county cricket. We hear about Arthur’s contact book but it never seems to get us an overseas player who make a difference; we get aging pros after one last paycheque (Lakmal, Abbas) or those sadly not up to it (Tickner, Jewell). I’d take experience of the competition in a coach, rather than a contacts book. As to who that could be, I’m non the wiser but I will say that - if I recall correctly - the year that our batters all progressed under MA, Ian Bell was on our coaching staff. I know he gets a lot of tournament gigs but he played CC cricket for several years before and after England came calling and I’d like to talk to him if I was on the board.
One thing is for sure, I am glad I’m not on the board currently. Rocky times and hard decisions lie ahead and unfortunately I think they only have themselves to blame as previous decisions are coming home to roost.
Chris in Shropshire.
I have followed DCCC for over 60 years thin and thinner, but have never felt more resigned than I do now. Priority one - MA must go. I like the guy, he talks well, I have no doubt he wants success here as much ss any of us, but he surely has to see that it just isn't working. This season is done, and it has been pathetic. Step up Board - let's see some decisions made quickly before the whole thing unravels through sheer apathy.
ReplyDeleteAny chance of promotion has now gone.
ReplyDeleteWill we see Wagstaff get the last 5 games to make the case that he can bat and open at this level and he's worth a new contract?
Of course not, we'll persist with Jewell who has averaged just 22 with 2 50s, 1 of which was made when hiding down the order.
During the Durham game I was talking to a very prominent person within the club and he was painting a painting a very bleak future not only for Derbyshire but for other non test ground clubs, with PSR about to kick in over the next two years, yes at the moment it won’t affect Derbyshire but there are no guarantees after the current TV runs out Derbyshire’s income still over reliant on its subsidy it receives from the the ECB if that was to drop significantly then Derbyshire will be in serious trouble
ReplyDeleteIt looks like Jewell is going back to Australia after the Middlesex game.
ReplyDeleteSounds like the Durham players had move trouble with the Derby Nightlife than with the Derbyshire line up!
ReplyDeleteAt least there’s not much danger of Derbyshire players getting into trouble celebrating a win
DeleteWhen Mickey Arthur arrived at Derbyshire we all had high hopes, not least because he was said to have a contacts book of players he would be able to call upon to play for our team. This worked well in his first season in charge. He recruited Shan Masood, a brilliant talented batsman who looked a real star when I saw him play. He had a wonderful range of wristy strokes and his timing was impeccable. Furthermore, his influence on the rest of the team was such that other players' form blossomed and we became a talented side, at least from the point of view at batting. But we failed dismally to retain his services after just one season, Yorkshire tempting him away with an offer of more money he was unable to refuse. I believe our troubles started after that
ReplyDelete. I think we should have moved heaven and earth to keep Shan Masood at Derbyshire and offer him a salary on a par with the Yorkies and perhaps the captaincy too. None of MA's subsequent signings have been anything like as talented and consequently we have failed consistently ever since.
That last comment was from Chapel Guy
ReplyDeleteSack Arthur, put Smit in his place, save money to pay for it with no overseas next season, start giving the youngsters a go. What have we got to lose. Grant from Telford
ReplyDeleteJewell called home for training by Tasmania
ReplyDeleteI started going in 1985, I am not Derbyshire born, never lived in the county, and it's an hour drive to the county ground. This year I have watched 20 days plus live cricket and yes I am not happy.
ReplyDeleteWill I stop going, no there has only been one occasion when I actually thought of packing it in and did for half a season, that was when there was the fall out when Dean Jones was at the club in his second season.
Why do I still go now, yes for the cricket but it is also to meet up with those mates I have made from following Derbyshire. I would also add this my father is 89 and whilst he moans at the state of the cricket, he still loves to go and frankly considering he is the longest male by far for over 250 years in our family, I am certain it is love of going to watch Derbyshire from April which gets him through the winter and if I did say were going anymore then I wouldn't be surprised what would happen!
Yes we are going through a terrible patch on the field, thankfully this isn't the case off the field as the next TV contract will result in considerably less funds from the ECB. . Lets not forget our history is not one of endless trophies, as you say we have to be careful what we wish for because I am convinced the ECB would love to see us gone.
I had written 2026 off before it had started following last year as originally I thought it was the last year of the coach.
The extension was a mistake, however it might be a blessing in disguise as the timing might just be right for Maddo to take over the reins after he has had a period away from the club.
I say that because I have come to the conclusion as Maddo will not now be here next year playing.
Martin