Saturday 28 May 2022

Leicestershire v Derbyshire T20

Derbyshire 159-5 (Masood 53, du Plooy 38* Kerr 19*)

Leicestershire 89 (Mike 26*, Kerr 2-6, McKiernan 2-17)

Derbyshire won by 70 runs

Even the Sky commentators were impressed.

Derbyshire produced a controlled, clinical and professional display at the Uptonsteel County Ground to trounce Leicestershire today. 

Playing on the wicket used for the last game, I thought the home side might have opted to bat first on a wicket that got slower and lower, but they put us into bat.

It never looked easy, as evidenced by the captain's watchful knock, but his diligence saw us to a score that Mickey Arthur, in a brief stint in the commentary box, deemed par. His half century was matched by a common sense unbeaten 38 from vice-captain Leus Du Plooy, with good support from Hayden Kerr at the death.

Leicestershire bowled steadily, but seeing Guest bowled by one that kept horribly low made me think 160 was going to be a stiff task for them. 

So it transpired. Wayne Madsen was magnificent, taking the key wicket of Hamish Rutherford, making a brilliant run out of Lilley and holding two catches. Meanwhile George Scrimshaw looked way too fast for some of the batsmen, while spinners Watt and McKiernan wheeled away beautifully. It all meant that Sam Conners was only needed for two overs, yet took the key wicket of Colin Ackermann that finished the Powerplay with us well on top.

McKiernan has come on so much this season, while Watt came back from conceding 12 in his Powerplay over to only concede another eleven, as well as bowling the ball of the day  to dismiss Walker. 

Masood skippered his side very well and the tactic of one-over spells, aimed at stopping bowlers being 'lined up', worked like a charm. Derbyshire look a well-drilled side, in which everyone knows their role and there is an obvious game plan. It is so good to see.

A final word for Hayden Kerr. Last night he had a baptism of fire, going around the park with the ball and being run out.

Today his unbeaten 19 was important in the context of the game, while the early dismissal of the dangerous Scott Steel set us on the road to the win. That he also took the last wicket, ending with 2-6, was wholly appropriate.

He will feel much better after that. 

As we all do. Very encouraging so far, despite the narrow defeat last night. 

Postscript: have we ever fielded three players who look so young as Came, Guest and Kerr? All of them look like they could still be at school, not necessarily in the sixth form!

Or am I just getting old...? 

7 comments:

1. You're geting old. As am I.

ReplyDelete
  2. Aye, they're young alright. But that's what our great game needs and good to see Derbyshire promoting young lads. The seconds are going encouragingly well too - it's all so different from last year. The smiles at the end of this match tell their own story.
    Dave
    Wirral

ReplyDelete
  3. An excellent effort to bounce back after the disappoinment of last night. MA has instilled a new confidence in the side and Masood is captaining the side well in addition to his brilliant batting.

ReplyDelete
  4. Will put that down as a professional performance and a good win.

But wow, Leicestershire were terrible when it was their turn to bat. Properly appalling.

ReplyDelete
  5. I have to admit that I wondered if we'd put enough on the board, and I was also concerned that we'd hit no sixes. But, as Dave Fletcher and his co-commentator had suggested, the pitch wasn't easy to bat on. They were right, as Leicestershire struggled out in the middle against some keen bowling, and eventually they fizzled out. Masood did a great job in the way he switched the bowlers around. All six took wickets. It was pleasing to see Kerr pick up a couple and also score useful runs.

ReplyDelete
  6. Have been playing today myself so a little late commenting.
    Excellent all round performance but for me the stand out were the interviews with Shan. This guy seems to be seriously astute in all aspects of the game and I think his leadership will take us far
    He just looks the perfect overseas signing who will develop any young player at the club wise enough to learn.
    Well done Derbyshire

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed Bindog. He exudes an aura of calm authority which is so good to see. Long may it continue!

Delete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!