Monday 12 July 2021

Derbyshire v Essex day 2

There isn't much that I can say about the abandonment of this game.

It is not without precedent in these times, nor, I suspect, will it be the last time that a game is abandoned for such reasons.

On Twitter earlier today I saw an Essex fan claiming that it was abandoned 'because Derbyshire didn't want to play', which is a weird old way of bending a story.

What it means moving forward I don't know. We have scheduled T20 games on Friday at Northampton and on Sunday against Yorkshire. Will any/all/most of the squad that travelled to Durham and was involved against Essex be able to play? Much will depend on the PCR test result.

We don't have many non-injured available players outside of that squad. Whether the games are cancelled, or whether we have to raise a side from the academy and perhaps emergency league recruits will be revealed in due course, subject to ECB ratification of course.

One thing is for sure. Just when you think you have seen it all, something else comes along and catches you by surprise.

All I can do is wish the player concerned a speedy recovery and hope that it remains an isolated incident.

More from me when we know more, in due course. 

2 comments:

  1. Morning Peakfan, a different sport but I have just seen the news that the great Ernie Moss of Chesterfield has passed away. A legend for the Spireites and I was lucky enough to see him score many goals at Saltergate. I also remember him owning a sports shop with Geoff Miller in Chesterfield. Our sympathies go to all his family. RIP Ernie and thanks for the memories. Clay Cross Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's that then. Are there any details as to when the fixtures will be available for the division stage? A trip to Kent or Sussex might be nice. I imagine that I'll be fired up for it by then after the Trafford Scallys beat the Bridgford Snobs in the 16.4 final.

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!