Friday 13 September 2019

Last two books available

In the course of a clear out chez Peakfan, I found what may well be the last two available copies (certainly from me) of In Their Own Words: Derbyshire Cricketers in conversation.

I am very grateful that the book was blessed with universally positive reviews and the friendships that it brought me have been an absolute joy.

The book recounts the county's history, since the Second World War, through the eyes and words of the men who helped create it. Beginning with the county's legendary then 98-year-old former groundsman Walter Goodyear, the book is made up of a number of interviews with personalities from every decade since the end of the war. Key characters from across the spectrum of cricket in Derbyshire each give their personal take on team-mates and opponents, trophy successes, fall-outs and life on the cricket circuit. 

County legends, including Edwin Smith, Harold Rhodes, Brian Jackson, Bob Taylor, Peter Gibbs, Geoff Miller, Wayne Madsen, Graeme Welch, Devon Malcolm, John Wright, Tony Borrington and many more talk about their lives and careers inside and outside the game, including an array of fascinating anecdotes to make this a club history with a difference.

A sampling of reviews:

"A very satisfying read. Particularly rewarding. In Their Own Words is an excellent book, and will be of interest well beyond the East Midlands and the Peak District." --CricketWeb.net

"The anecdotes are interesting, quirky and as funny as anecdotes should be, and yet there's something a little different here. A compendium of tales and gossip, history and reminiscence. More than facts, more than memories and more than Dolman's own excellent knowledge of the game a passion for Derbyshire CCC." --DeepExtraCover.com

"Inspired. Comes over well. Thoroughly enjoyed In Their Own Words. I have certainly found out more, enjoyed it and hope that other readers will read it and I wish Steve every success with it." --AndrewRobertsCricketStatistics.com

If you would like one of these two books, I will bring them to the Sussex game, where I will be at most of the first three days. I will happily inscribe it as you wish for the one-off price of £6.

If you can't make the game but would like one, please let me know and the price, including postage, is £9

Either way, drop me an email to peakfan36@yahoo.co.uk

Incidentally, there are a couple of copies of my biography of Edwin Smith available through Amazon, though at wildly different prices of £14 and £34.

That one has long since gone out of print, I'm afraid.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing a few of you at Derby. Please do say hello if you see me, as it is always nice to put a face to a blog name!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!