Friday 6 September 2019

Gloucestershire v Derbyshire Vitality Blast Quarter-Final Preview

Hands up anyone who thought that Derbyshire would still be involved at this stage of the Vitality Blast T20?

Not many, I guess.

I looked back at what I wrote before the tournament started, and found the following:

'Will we make the knock out stages? My head tells me no, because the absence of an extra top seamer  will hurt us on occasion. I look at other teams in a strong group and think that there will be times we will be chasing too many, even for a deep and talented batting side.

But Derbyshire have made us proud this summer, with some professional, polished displays. Be prepared for a few more of those, before this tournament concludes.

And if they get on a roll...'

Well, they got on a roll, perhaps found their best line up by accident, rather than design and find themselves on the verge of finals day. There may be a few bad memories of our last involvement, but we fell victim to Shahid Afridi's one innings a summer, together with poor captaincy on that evening.

This time could be different. We know our strengths, which are a team ethic worth its weight in gold, we field well, bowl with discipline and bat deep. Our top four is as good as any in the tournament, and if they fire, we have every chance of success.

I don't expect late surprises, because we know our best eleven now. I don't see Darren Stevens or Boyd Rankin involved, though a slow wicket might make the former a possibility. For me, the final eleven will be as follows:

Godleman, Reece, Madsen, du Plooy, Critchley, Hughes, Hudson-Prentice, Dal, Smit, van Beek, Rampaul

There's no news of the home side, as you would expect, but the key to success will be in removing Michael Klinger early. Skipper and talisman, this is his final season and he will be keen to finish on a high. Miles Hammond and James Bracey will lend good support, but I don't expect a high-scoring game.

David Payne is their leading wicket-taker, with Ryan Higgins and Andrew Tye lending good support. The battle against our top order is where the game may well be won and lost, my concern being that if they fail, the rest haven't had that much T20 batting of late.

From the perspective of the neutral, this is the least glamorous of the quarter-finals, something that you can bet your bottom dollar will be mouthed on Sky on Saturday night. For both sets of supporters, it represents an opportunity for a big day out, for Derbyshire in particular, new ground being broken.

For me, we have exceeded expectations this year. Solid in the RLODC, improved but still frustrating in the four-day game and coming through a strong section in this competition. They can be proud of their efforts already, and with some good summer recruits on board (and hopefully winter ones to come) this could be the catalyst for Derbyshire.

Nothing but praise from me for Dave Houghton, Dominic Cork and Billy Godleman. The skipper has transformed himself into a fine T20 player and has captained with authority, ably assisted by the sage advice of Daryn Smit and Wayne Madsen.

From here, it is who holds their nerve, who raises their game and who takes the catches when they are offered.

We can do this, you know.

And as always, your thoughts are welcome!

15 comments:

  1. A team with 5 non UK players (even without 2nd official o/s player) makes this somewhat bittersweet, not looking at the inherent weakness of the north division either, but hope we can go on and win it.

    jeff


    Glass full or empty Jeff. At least 2 North group teams there already. Hopefully 3 come this time tomorrow.
    South teams been absolutely battered in 2 of 3 thus far and Lancs playing in Durham evened things massively. Very surprising seeing as the North is so much inherently weaker

    ReplyDelete
  2. Come on Derbyshire you can do this, but I'm worried over your predictions for the finalists so far Peakfan, three out of three incorrect. I'm clinging to the non prediction you gave for our match just sticking to the " we can do this". Come on Falcons give it your best shot please.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tim, Chesterfield7 September 2019 at 09:16

    Proud that they've got this far but would really really like us to go one step further. I think we can too if the usual key players continue to do what they've done. We're on a roll at the minute so fingers crossed they believe in themselves, we get the good fortune that winners often do, and we can be off to Birmingham to get that monkey off our back.

    Go well lads. Really looking forward to this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tim, Chesterfield7 September 2019 at 11:06

    Rich/Jeff (are you one person or two?); what on earth are you talking about? In what way is a modicum of success in any way remotely 'bittersweet'? If allowed the perfect fantasy we'd all of course enjoy seeing a full squad of players and coaching staff conceieved, born and schooled in Derbyshire (let's say Clay Cross for perfection) but that's neither remotely likely nor is it going to lead us winning many games.

    Then there's the claim about 'inherent weakness of the north group juxtaposed with evidence that it's not! You do realise that a side from our group has won the competition the last SIX years? On only two of those occasions has the beaten finalise been from the South group. So much for it being stronger eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Rich was quoting Jeff. And pretty much saving me the trouble of reply.

      There is no bittersweet. Success is success, however it is reached. Bet Man City fans aren't sleepless over the lack of English players in their side. Or Liverpool. Or county sides with the money to fly in players for crucial last championship games.
      No one cares.

      Delete
    2. With all due respect Jeff cares and that’s his opinion. It’s not one I necessarily agree with but if my football team won the league with a load of local youth team graduates whilst balancing the books it would probably mean more than with loads of expensive foreign imports courtesy of rich owners. It hasn’t crossed my mind how many Derbyshire players are non English but if it has to Jeff then I respect his right to an opinion.

      Delete
    3. I was indeed quoting Jeff.

      I care not where the man is from if he is wearing the Crown and the Rose. Were we bothered in 81 that Kirsten and Wright were not of this shire?
      Barnett,Morris,Newman,Bowler and Ole. None from Swanwick, Riddings nor Ripley.
      Nor Corky.

      Don't care me. They believe in the badge. That'll do for me

      We are going to finals day. I repeat. WE ARE GOING TO FINALS DAY. I don't care where our boys come from. They are taking my beloved county team to the finals.

      Delete
  5. It's been a desperate set of quarter finals so far, and it's hard to believe that ours can be any worse for spectacle and excitement than the others. And after the humiliation of Sussex and Middlesex, we'd have to do spectacularly badly to be the dunces of the round. I might be the only one who thought this, but I'd rather have had Sussex than Gloucestershire at this stage, as they can be (as they showed last night) a sloppy, arrogant, complacent side that can switch on and off. Gloucs, by contrast, are rather like us, a team that has to be hard-working and professional to add up to more than the sum of their parts. Although it might lack the glamour of the other ties, though, it does actually have the two form sides of the final stages of the groups, both coming into it off the back of three successive wins.

    I'm sure that it's not going to have anything as flamboyant as Ali or Hales, and I'd be surprised if it's not a grittier, tenser affair that might just produce a real spine-tingle for once. Without disregarding the other players who might have an influence, I think the match might be decided in two head-to-heads, Madsen v Klinger and Rampaul v Tye. If I have to let my head rule my heart, I think that Klinger might have the final word on his last-ever appearance in Bristol, and he's been such a consummate professional and profound influence on his county that it would be hard to begrudge him this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed notoveryet. Two key battles, Klinger desperate to go on a high.
      Home advantage may count, but we won at Headingley and Old Trafford, so...

      Delete
  6. Did 'Rich' or 'jeff' just reply to his own comment, within his own comment???
    I only assume this as there is no reply button on the first comment, only on the one below which has no name.
    Anyway I much prefer his second opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, Rich was quoting Jeff from the other day!

      Delete
    2. That makes much more sense. My apologies to Rich.

      Delete
    3. Thankyou Sir. But no apology required. I see now it's published that my post could be misconstrued.

      No worries. We're all Derbyshire aren't we?

      (I don't know if that last line needs a question mark. Is it a question or a statement?????)

      Anyways. Up the Falcons. Keep up the good work PF.

      Delete
  7. whatever happens like most people have said what an achievement!
    I personally think Gloucester have got the edge for me. I don't think there much in it comparing the two batting line ups. I think more combination of Tye and Pain that give them the edge. I think it be intresting what does Cork do in his team selection. He may be tempted with Stevens. He certainly doesn't merit his place on form or what he has contributed so far. He may look at the need of player that can bat and also give him another option with the ball 2 overs who has lot of exprience. I personally think Dal fanstatic feilder and hasn't been given much opportunity with the bat. There part me think that Stevens has the ability to change a match more than Dal. What maybe the tempter for Cork. Personally like him to stick to a winning 11 as its quite obvious this year has been team effort not one rely on individuals.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck lads. Looking forward to the game. I hope we can reach the promised land. Enjoy all of you who are going.

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!