Thursday 23 May 2019

T20 thoughts

Several times over the past few days I have been asked my eleven for the forthcoming Vitality Blast T20.

Each time I smiled, knowing full well that it will not meet with universal approval. Then again, such things have never worried me,  so I am happy to offer my thoughts here. My understanding is that there will be no additional players, so unless that changes, we go with existing staff.

While any team selection will always be dependent on the pitch, my first choice side, assuming full fitness for those concerned, would be as follows:

Critchley
Reece
Madsen
du Plooy
Hughes
Dal
McKiernan/Lace
Smit (captain)
van Beek
Rampaul
Stanlake

I have no idea if McKiernan would be fit in time, and if so one would logically pick Watt. But the tail would then be longer, and no team can afford two or three less mobile players in an unforgiving format.

I toyed with the idea of du Plooy at the top, as you want your best players to have the most time at the crease, but he stays where he is to give us left/right options through the top four.

I would have Daryn Smit as wicket keeper, as he is the best skipper in the club. No offence towards Harvey Hosein, who has done well, but I am going with a man for this year who has won a T20 tournament as captain, and since he is a wicket keeper, Harvey gives way. Smit is also the better keeper standing up, which would be for all, bar the last three in the order.

Every man can bowl, and that is important. If McKiernan isn't fit, then I would be inclined to pick Lace to lengthen the batting. You cannot hide too many in the field and Ravi isn't the most agile, nor would one expect Stanlake to be, at that height.

Billy Godleman is omitted, again because I want my most mobile fielders and I have another captain. Like Harvey, no offence meant, as I like him as a cricketer and man, but I am going horses for courses here. Billy showed last year that he can play the format, but in my selection I am trying to maximise the runs from the crucial Powerplay.

In my first choice side I have six seamers and four spinners. You could lengthen the batting with Lace, or play Watt on wickets where spin is more likely to succeed.

I don't think Dominic Cork will shy away from tricky decisions and he has to make some here. We have to pick a side that would give us our best chance of success and that would be mine.

Were the selection of a captain who has been playing second team all summer to be deemed too 'left field', then Alex Hughes is the next obvious choice, with Hosein retaining his place.

Now, let's see your side...

12 comments:

  1. Mine is a little left field as well
    Du Plooy
    Wood
    Hitting power at the top
    Madden
    Dal
    Carry on or consolidate, would run the field ragged
    Reece
    Hughes
    Critchley
    More power
    Smit
    Best keeper/brain
    Rampaul
    Stanlake
    Watt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting, thanks for sharing
    Mine would be:
    Godleman
    Reece
    Madsen
    Du Plooy
    Critchley
    Dal
    Hughes
    Smit w/k and captain
    Van Beek
    Rampaul
    Stanlake

    I think there is no way Godleman doesn't play but then again his running and fielding isn't great so maybe you are on to something, I want Critchley as a finisher in the middle order. Smit is a great shout, he has a knack of finding the boundary late on with the bat and is indeed a great keeper and Godleman isn't a one day captain for me. Needs someone with a but more invention. Van Beek is vulnerable for me and perhaps Connors will get a chance? Watt could replace him as a spin option on the right pitches. The question marks are getting bigger and bigger on Van beek who so far looks a dreadful signing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reece
    Du Ploy
    Madsen
    Critchley
    Lace
    Hughes
    Dal
    Hosein
    Smit
    Rampaul
    Stanlake

    I'd play Hosein as keeper and bring in Smit for his batting and spin. This would mean we can bat all the way to nine. I toyed with the idea of Van Beek, but he's proving to be a bit unpredictable and expensive and he would also lengthen the tail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would keep Godleman in as well. We tried dropping him last year and fell off a cliff at the start. He then came in and averaged 50+ in 9 matches at an excellent strike rate. That along with his Royal London form deserves a start instead of Lace or Dal. Other than that agree Peakfan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Godleman
    Critchley
    Reece
    Madsen
    Du Plooy
    Hughes - Captain
    Dal
    Smit - Wicket
    Watt
    Rampaul
    Stanlake

    I think I would be doing looking this team from Headingly fixture this year and give Godleman a chance. His role must be to see the 1st 10 overs out and keep strike rate above 100. The only concern I have got about Godleman is more his running between the wickets. I don't think he great at judging a quick single. The key think with 20/20 is reduce the dot balls and you will have good chance of decent score.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with you on Smit - and on the captaincy issue too PF but don't agree that Godleman doesn't feature. He's done pretty well in T20 over the last couple of seasons and every team needs someone who can stay around and play a longish innings provided their strike rate is above 100 and he can do that. The Yorkshire 50 over game which turned into a T20 run chase proves that. I'm a little worried about the bowling but with eight or so bowlers there should be some flexibility.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think key is that strike rate. If Billy keeps it going AND that strike rate up, I have no issue.
    My concern though is if neither overseas finds line and length as Ferguson and Riaz did last year. We just don't know if this year's models will be as economical. If not, we are chasing 200 too many times...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking forward to see how Ferguson does in the World Cup. He was great in T20 but we'll see whether the longer version will make any difference.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think so Lion. T20 suited him, bowling yorkers and bouncers to suit. But you can't just do that in 50 overs and it didn't work for us in 4 day cricket, when they just block or duck

    ReplyDelete
  10. straightnochaser24 May 2019 at 22:58

    I thought Houghton had stated last winter that Hosein was henceforth his first choice wicketkeeper in all formats. Of course, Cork now being T20 coach may see a tweaking of/deviation from that approach.

    ReplyDelete
  11. On occasions I think we need to adapt a little , for example we hardly do well at Old Trafford where spin and pace off tends to prosper.Therefore I would play 3 spinners and pick batsmen that can work the ball from ball 1 . I think all of our small squad need to be utilised for us to be competitive but Reece Madsen Du Plooy ,Watt and Stanlake will form the core of the side .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed Paul. You can add Critchley and Hughes to that and we can't not play an overseas player, I don't think. So van Beek, a keeper plus two more..

      Delete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!